Wipers stuck on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wipers stuck on

DDF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I have a 2011 Explorer. My wipers are turned off on the handle, but they are going at the slowest intermittent speed and wont stop. They will only turn off when I turn the key off. What would be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drunkenness lol...

I have a 2011 Explorer. My wipers are turned off on the handle, but they are going at the slowest intermittent speed and wont stop. They will only turn off when I turn the key off. What would be causing this?
Do you have the Rain Sensing Wipers? Could possibly be the control module.

Peter

Make sure there is no road debris obscuring/affecting the rain sensor (outside the windshield by the center rear view mirror) if your Explorer is equipped with the rain sensing wipers.

I'll Pray for you, but get rid of it. Sell it.........best regards Plum

I had the very same problem with my 2011 last summer. Incredibly frustrating. I brought it in for service and they eventually found some malfunctioning switch. I haven't had the problem return thankfully.

Wipers

The OP still has not said if he/she has Rain Sensing Wipers. Could be the control module.

Peter

I'll Pray for you, but get rid of it. Sell it.........best regards Plum

How about you get rid of your Ex so we don't have to deal with every one of your negative posts that don't help anyone's issues or that contribute towards a resolution.

It is getting old.. give it a rest already.

Wipers Won't Shut Off

My 2011 explorer started doing this a couple weeks ago. I believe the problem is because when I turn the rear window wiper on (counter clockwise) or turn off the wipers (counter clockwise) I have added to much pressure to the arm. The arm has shifted on the column (loosened) to where the off-setting can’t really be reached. If I turn the wiper switch fully on with enough pressure (clockwise) the arm re-shifts. I then gently turn it counter clockwise to the off-setting and it remains off. This has become an frustration being I live in the Northwest where it rains 80% of the year. I will take it in to have it serviced this week and post their results.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved you post into the 5th Gen Sub Forum and started a new thread.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

My 2011 explorer started doing this a couple weeks ago. I believe the problem is because when I turn the rear window wiper on (counter clockwise) or turn off the wipers (counter clockwise) I have added to much pressure to the arm. The arm has shifted on the column (loosened) to where the off-setting can’t really be reached. If I turn the wiper switch fully on with enough pressure (clockwise) the arm re-shifts. I then gently turn it counter clockwise to the off-setting and it remains off. This has become an frustration being I live in the Northwest where it rains 80% of the year. I will take it in to have it serviced this week and post their results.
Welcome to the Forum jshanntoo.:wavey:
I don't know which model you have but I assume you don't have rain sensing wipers. Some of the models are not developing problems with the wiper stalk/arm. Some without the rain sensing wipers have even had the wipers come on by themselves. If this issue persists, perhaps a dealer visit is in order.
Are you still under warranty?
It would also be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the left margin when you post.
Good luck.

Peter

Definitely keep us posted, jshanntoo. If you need help from my neck of the woods, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out some options and see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Crystal

The wiper switch is easy to access. Just two screws hold it on. There have been a couple people, including me, who have had the switch fail. Easy to replace.

Definitely keep us posted, jshanntoo. If you need help from my neck of the woods, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out some options and see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Crystal
I also have the same problem with my 2011 Explorer limited. It can happen at anytime, and last for minutes. I play around with the arm and then it will stop. Problem is I don't know which movement stops it. I'm sure this is an issue Ford is aware of, much like the defect in the arm rest, the worn bushings on the upper control arm. It's unfortunute Ford continues to accept low tolerance on parts. Anyway, I hate to come across negatively, but all these little items add up to thousands of dollars. This made even worse after replacing the transfer case last year, after only 128,000 km. If you can send a Ford Angel my way that would be sweet!

I also have the same problem with my 2011 Explorer limited. It can happen at anytime, and last for minutes. I play around with the arm and then it will stop. Problem is I don't know which movement stops it. I'm sure this is an issue Ford is aware of, much like the defect in the arm rest, the worn bushings on the upper control arm. It's unfortunute Ford continues to accept low tolerance on parts. Anyway, I hate to come across negatively, but all these little items add up to thousands of dollars. This made even worse after replacing the transfer case last year, after only 128,000 km. If you can send a Ford Angel my way that would be sweet!
Do you have both a 2004 and 2011 Explorer? Your profile show 2004.
Do the wipers come on by themselves when driving and do you have the rain sensing wipers?

Peter

Do you have both a 2004 and 2011 Explorer? Your profile show 2004.
Do the wipers come on by themselves when driving and do you have the rain sensing wipers?

Peter
Yes I do. I hope this doesn't pose a problem signing in.

Yes I do. I hope this doesn't pose a problem signing in.
Hello Peter,

Sorry, just getting ready to headout. No automatic wipers. It seems if I play around with the arm, it'll go a way. I have not brought it to the dealer, but with winter around the corner, I will have to soon.

Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Peter,

Sorry, just getting ready to headout. No automatic wipers. It seems if I play around with the arm, it'll go a way. I have not brought it to the dealer, but with winter around the corner, I will have to soon.

Phil
yes they do come on by themselves!

Back