Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow,
There is an insurance adjuster tent in town now, so, Puff sat in it for about an hour while they looked her over. I actually panicked and asked them up front not to total her. Ignore the roof and just get me enough $$ for fixing the hood and I will smile-
No dice, they have to call it all as they see it.

The problem for me is Kansas law states any time a car is declared totaled it now has to have a salvage title, and a large decal has to be placed by a highway patrol officer in plain view of an entering driver. You also have to pay inspection fees and another registration. This requires visiting 2 different counties. The vehicle must be towed to the last inspection, as it is then when the roadworthiness is determined. This is the only actual "inspection" of any vehicle in this state.

Well, I got a much larger, in fact over 4 times what I asked for and the truck is not totalled. :D:D:D
This only proves one thing. I don't know when to keep my mouth shut.

I am told dentless repair will take care of most of, if not all of the damage. They had a little magnetic disc which tested this theory, which indicated they should be able to be repaired in this fashion. If I choose this they will waive the deductable, which is kind of like having a 500.00 credit in the shop, as long as it is in the insurance network.

As for now I will still try to find a color matching hood and see how bad she looks with a newer one.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well good for you. I had dropped my collision for my truck three months before our hail storm. Do you want to trade hoods?

Well good for you. I had dropped my collision for my truck three months before our hail storm. Do you want to trade hoods?

Ha ha--it would be a change of scenery :D

Buy some PDR tools and do it yourself, watch how on You tube. Doesn't look like rocket science. :)

Glad to see keeping it alive.

Lots of new pieces, is the first bit a bumper, and winch mount maybe.

How many new leaf spring perches are there to choose from, for a stock setup? I like the skid plate made into it, though I don't need that, but mine are both in rough shape.

Lots of new pieces, is the first bit a bumper, and winch mount maybe.

How many new leaf spring perches are there to choose from, for a stock setup? I like the skid plate made into it, though I don't need that, but mine are both in rough shape.

Front winch mount bumper in weld up kit form , from Jamscal
rear bumper, also in weld up form, designed and cut by kert307
Leaf perch skid plates designed and built by Brian1 -upgrade 5/8 u bolts from ruff stuff
front skid plate from RCI

I gotta get busy.

Real nice additions. They will look purdy when powdercoated. I can vouch for that RCI plate, although mine is his first design back when he was hand cutting things, and it doesn't have the cut outs in it. It has taken a beating. It has gotten hit hard enough I bent my IFS crossmember but the plate wasn't fazed a bit. Saved my ass a lot.

Um, Mr RCI is powdercoated bright silver. It is hanging in my oven in the picture-lol
U bolt Skid plates are black. Bumpers will be this color, as it matches the lower trim well, but turns shades of black also in low light. It is called, "black lava"

Ha, I see that now, I just glanced past thinking it was still raw steel... oops. That color will look awesome on that bumper. Can't wait to see it.

Well, ol gal is kicking my ass--
Rear bumper welded and coated. Kurt, that is one heavy mother--geez boy. I ran all outta wheaties :eek::eek: I had to use a square tube inside the receiver area for a lifting point, and 2 helpers to get it hung on a hook. Whoa!! I left it hang in the oven overnight ( oven stress test, or did I fall asleep?)
this was the heaviest part I have hung so far.

I have the front bumper back from the welder, gonna try to grind it smooth today. He's bending a tube for the front, not really a nerf or stinger, just something for the driver to gauge how far the bumper sticks out, and maybe mount lights to. Once it is welded on the bumper will go off to powdercoating.

I think I am going to make a set of shackles with about 1" more distance between holes to help take advantage of the higher shock mount on the u bolt plates and coilover shocks, but I couldn't find enough steel scraps in the garage. Might go on a hunt for this later.

Well, ol gal is kicking my ass--
Rear bumper welded and coated. Kurt, that is one heavy mother--geez boy. I ran all outta wheaties :eek::eek: I had to use a square tube inside the receiver area for a lifting point, and 2 helpers to get it hung on a hook. Whoa!! I left it hang in the oven overnight ( oven stress test, or did I fall asleep?)
this was the heaviest part I have hung so far.

Oh come on it's only like 100 lbs... lol

You forget I design Ag and Construction Equipment for my "real job," more weight and heavy duty is usually a good thing :D

Oh come on it's only like 100 lbs... lol

You forget I design Ag and Construction Equipment for my "real job," more weight and heavy duty is usually a good thing :D

In and out of the oven while hot, 2 times, was the tricky part. ;)

Not much. Just some cool chairs. My dad had them stashed away from way back, when they purchased their 92 explorer, and then the 99. He wasn't sure which chair(s) came with which truck though.

Thanks Dad!!

005_zps25cb218d.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates other things have gotten in the way. Back in a minute.

Not much. Just some cool chairs. My dad had them stashed away from way back, when they purchased their 92 explorer, and then the 99. He wasn't sure which chair(s) came with which truck though.

Thanks Dad!!

005_zps25cb218d.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates other things have gotten in the way. Back in a minute.

Dude. Super jealous!

Oh yeah, this is not our only ride now. Sheri scored a 2006 Avalon in excellent condition. Did you know they had reclining seats in back?

Today I made and installed a set of scissor shackles, with mounting holes 1.25"longer , or, further apart, than stock shackles for a little more shackle swing. This, combined with the higher shock mounts on the Brian1 u bolt skid plates, using the monroe coil assist shocks yielded about 1" more lift in back :D

I'll have pictures when it is all done. Front bumper is back from welder and I should have it all smoothed and coated tomorrow. Wait till you see all the custom work done to it.

Ok, ignore the dusty finger print smears on the finished bumper. I wanted to wait for installed pictures, but also wanted to fill you all in on the progress.

As you can see I have a bit more flap disc work to do on the front bumper.

005-7_zpsf9208f3b.jpg

I am having a local pro do the welding for me from now on, I will powdercoat for him and nobody gets hurt.

Look for Wehlage Iron Works on facebook and check out his pictures. Dusty is so good, I don't even want to fool with it.

Those do look heavy, nice work.

Back