4th Gen "brown wire mod"

yoster

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer v8 4x4
Hello everyone,

I've been searching the forums but can only find this for 1st-3rd gen. I have a 2006 explorer 4x4, and I want to know if the "brown wire mod" is possible for this year, and if so, if there's a how-to.

For those of you who don't know what the "brown wire mod" is, it basically allows you to interrupt the full-time 4wd (awd) system for us 4x4 owners so that we can run in just 2wd. I've heard it really helps with gas mileage. If you want to go back to AWD or engage 4wd Hi/Lo, just flip the switch and you're back to normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 4th Gen

I know this is an old post but I also would like to know if the BWM will work on 06 and newer EX,lots of info 3rd gen but cant find any on 4th.

No need to when you can just pull the fuse that controls the t-case.

Brown wire

Thanks but all the info i seen is that if one pulls the fuse the dash lite stays on,where as cutting the brown wire disables the T case with no lites on,theres lots of info on 05 and down but cant find any info on 06-4th gen-.someone must have done the mod on the 06 and newer,and maybe its not doable on the 06 and newer but i sure would like to know.

I'd like to know as well. Also did a ton of searching myself, and found nothing on the site.

Pulling the fuse is inconvenient - if I'm using 4Lo to drag a heavy boat up a slippery launch, I'd rather flip a switch before the tight turn at the top, than having to pull a fuse.

I'd like to know as well. Also did a ton of searching myself, and found nothing on the site.

Pulling the fuse is inconvenient - if I'm using 4Lo to drag a heavy boat up a slippery launch, I'd rather flip a switch before the tight turn at the top, than having to pull a fuse.

Then put a switch on the line coming from the fuse, but you will still have the indicators light up in the dash when the power is switched off.

Mine is a 97 sohc and I found and switched fuse #27 I think. Can't remember for sure. But to get around the light, I always flip it to 4wd and then cut the case. No nagging lights afterward. So the entire process would be flip to 4hi, hit the switch to kill the transfer case, do a burnout, turn the transfer case on, switch back to awd. I don't know how healthy this is for the transfer case but I think its ok because I think you're just cutting the shift controller mounted to the outside of the transfer case. not sure. either way, ON MINE, there are no lights after the process is finished and you can drive on as normal. if you do it without the first and last steps and leave it in awd, the lights flash and it freaks out until you cycle the ignition and reset the computer. hope this helps. I forget what the fuse number is, its like 27 or 22 or something in the drivers door fuse panel.

Then put a switch on the line coming from the fuse, but you will still have the indicators light up in the dash when the power is switched off.

Good idea, can't believe I didn't think of that!

It'll be nice to see the electrical diagrams and figure out the electrics of this truck. Any free service manuals floating around on the web?

Brown wire MOD

I still did not see response to the original question brown wire mod for 2010?

Back