Foglight Bulb Options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foglight Bulb Options

I got the H11 HID 3000k from TRS (website)

Still not sure if i want yellow or not. I really got it for bad weather. It is bright, I used it in a thunderstorm and worked great. here is some pictures, think my camera picked up the light really well. looks birghter in picture then what it actually is. Evern my stock hids looked really bright.

Just fogs on

Fogs with headlights on

Fogs only

Fogs with headlights on

here is a picture of stock hids

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the H11 HID 3000k from TRS (website)

Still not sure if i want yellow or not. I really got it for bad weather. It is bright, I used it in a thunderstorm and worked great. here is some pictures, think my camera picked up the light really well. looks birghter in picture then what it actually is. Evern my stock hids looked really bright.

Wow! Yellow surely lights your path! thinking of doing the same :)

damnit, this makes me really want the yellow HIDs lol my wife hates them though and wants white.....and it is her SUV lol.

witih the LED chip only onthe 2 sides, and nothing forward facing, or rearward facing, or radial facing other than those 2 sides, it really limits the use of the reflector housing. For that price I really don't see them performing that stellar.

I tried 3 different sets of LED fogs before I gave up and finally just bit the bullet and went HID fogs. Should have just went HID from the start.

I've been upgrading all the lighting in my '14 Sport and i'm looking for fog light Ideas. I have had bad luck in the past with HID kits and Like the LED look a lot better. I have never seen this before but does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-FEDEX-SHIPPING-HIGH-POWER-2PCS-H11-25W-CREE-LED-HEAD-LIGHT-1800LM-/121159339824?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c35a8cf30&vxp=mtr
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. The posts here may be of some help to you.

Peter

Thought I would chime in. I just changed the fogs in my '13 with LEDs. I wanted to get as close to stock brightness as possible so I searched on ebay for the highest wattage and lumens available. I found 80 watt CREEs that have 4 LEDs on top and 16 on the sides (claims a total 900-1000 lumens). They actually look brighter than stock, which are rated about 1150 lumens I believe. Color is about 5000k. Just search for "80w H11 CREE LED" on ebay and a few will pop up around $40. I believe those are the brightest LEDs available at the moment, if you want to go that route.

Thought I would chime in. I just changed the fogs in my '13 with LEDs. I wanted to get as close to stock brightness as possible so I searched on ebay for the highest wattage and lumens available. I found 80 watt CREEs that have 4 LEDs on top and 16 on the sides (claims a total 900-1000 lumens). They actually look brighter than stock, which are rated about 1150 lumens I believe. Color is about 5000k. Just search for "80w H11 CREE LED" on ebay and a few will pop up around $40. I believe those are the brightest LEDs available at the moment, if you want to go that route.

I just ordered some of those, the only problem is they are shipping from hong kong :thumbdwn: I guess i'll test them in a month when they get here.

:usa:

I just ordered some of those, the only problem is they are shipping from hong kong :thumbdwn: I guess i'll test them in a month when they get here.

:usa:

Wish I had seen this earlier. I tested the Cree 80W as well as the Koshin 80W 7000K and neither is better than the Phillips diamond vision. Some of the pics I posted earlier in this thread are of my ex.

Lou Diamond Phillips makes fog lights??? ;)

I dont like the look aestetically of the yellow either but they are no doubt very good for functionality. Nice pics guys.

Installed my Cool Bulb HID's tonight in 2014 Sport in the headlights and fogs....both 6000's

Took about an hour.

Had to reverse the plug only on the headlights for correct polarity.

The pattern is very smooth and really lights up the road.

When you switch to brights.......it's insanely bright.

For $250 shipped same day received from CA to TX in two days for headlights and fogs......I think Andrew and Cool Bulbs have the right solution for those wanting HID's.

btw....I stayed with the 35Watt version. Did not want to take a chance with the 55Watt of shorter bulb life, risk of melting housings, or people constantly flashing me.

What does the 3k HID look like in daylight with lights off? Do they look yellow or hardly noticeable?

With the lights off is the lens yellow tint or just look clear?

Great, thanks

I just didn't want them to be yellow when off, wasn't sure if they stayed clear or not.

HID Fog Light Install Question

Does anyone know how to get access to the fog lights so I can swap for my HID bulbs?

Does anyone know how to get access to the fog lights so I can swap for my HID bulbs?
If you install HID in the fog lights then you will likely render them useless for their intended purpose. Also depending on where you live, some states have laws against using 'fog' lights in combination with headlights unless you are in a situation of diminished visibility. Darkness does not count.;)

A 'seach' would have produced this thread to which your post has been added as per my PM.

If you read through it you may find your answer as one member said that it is quite simple.
Good luck.

Peter

I disagree that putting HIDs in the fogs renders them useless for their intended purpose. It's still outputting light at a much lower level than the headlights so it helps get light out closer to the ground where they're usually less fog, and the HID isn't changing the reflector of the housing, so it still spreads the light out in a wide pattern on the ground. And whether it's legal or not to techically have the fogs on during non foggy conditions is irrelevent to having HIDs in them.

I put them in ours, the fogs don't output a ton of light just from the shape of the reflector housing, but they do look 100x's better with a nice crisp white light instead of yellow. I run them all the time whether its bright, dark, foggy, or not. Usually fogs & corners during the day, and fogs & heads at night.

Now if you can't figure out how to get to the back of the fogs....maybe you should have a shop install them for you. Lay on the ground and look up under the bumper, it's right there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I disagree that putting HIDs in the fogs renders them useless for their intended purpose. It's still outputting light at a much lower level than the headlights so it helps get light out closer to the ground where they're usually less fog, and the HID isn't changing the reflector of the housing, so it still spreads the light out in a wide pattern on the ground. And whether it's legal or not to techically have the fogs on during non foggy conditions is irrelevent to having HIDs in them.

I put them in ours, the fogs don't output a ton of light just from the shape of the reflector housing, but they do look 100x's better with a nice crisp white light instead of yellow. I run them all the time whether its bright, dark, foggy, or not. Usually fogs & corners during the day, and fogs & heads at night.

Now if you can't figure out how to get to the back of the fogs....maybe you should have a shop install them for you. Lay on the ground and look up under the bumper, it's right there.
Well I can't speak from experience about their actual functionality. Perhaps I shouldn't jump to a conclusion. I just figured that those that are replacing them with 6000k bulbs would see too much bright light reflecting back in a fog. I also believe that I read a post a few days ago where a member is switching his back to the OEM bulbs because the HID ones weren't doing the job of fog lights.

Peter

Back