Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

HoldHard

Reaction score
City, State
Motor City 'burbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited & 2013 Sport
What are the widest tires that will fit on the Sport 20" rims? Fit is also critical as they cannot rub on the fender wells when turning.

Thanks in Advance.
HH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something wider than 265/45/20...

Something wider than 265/45/20...

Yeah. Over this past weekend, saw a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 that was running 295/45/20 Pirelli's on that vehicle's stock rims. Looked nice!

255/50/20's are the stock tire and fit on the 9" wide Sport rims.... Looking at a 285/40/20 or 295/40/20 but don't want them to rub up front.

Anybody try anything wider?

HH

I can't add anything here, but am subscribing for when it's time to buy new tires!

Tire discussion (including winter tires) in this thread (<-- click).

BC

Widest aftermarket tires on a Sport?

Hey everyone,

What's the widest tire without rubbing on 20" rims on an explorer? I know quite a few of you have different rim/tires. Doesn't even have to be a 20, I can figure out height difference from rim to sidewall. CUrious what the biggest tire we can fit. Stock is 255/50/R20 IIRC. I'd like to go a little wider. Didn't know if a 275/45/20 or 275/40/20 would end up rubbing. Wouldn't mind keeping the OD as close to stock, just add a little width.

I'm using: 265/40/22

thanks for the info. Are you lowered at all? I'd like to put the H&R springs on it eventually.

If you're running different rims than stock, please let me know if you have any rubbing at full lock, or if you have a different offset than stock or spacers.

I have 22" Giovanna

No rubbing at all.

Not lowered , offset standard and no spacers.

Has anyone seen a 5th gen X with mudders or trail tires??

Has anyone seen a 5th gen X with mudders or trail tires??[/QUO

Im running 275/55/19 on rims that are 1.5" wider than stock, numerically I think they are only 5% larger in rolling diameter than stock. Buit If you stack one on the ground next to stock rim& tire, they are almost 2" taller. No rubbing at all, not lowered *yet* but will be running the Megan coil overs when they become available:)

Im running 275/55/19 on rims that are 1.5" wider than stock, numerically I think they are only 5% larger in rolling diameter than stock. Buit If you stack one on the ground next to stock rim& tire, they are almost 2" taller. No rubbing at all, not lowered *yet* but will be running the Megan coil overs when they become available:)

Can I see an up close picture of your rim/tire set up. We have the same truck and I'm thinking of changing the original set up. Thx.

wow that's a big increase in height and width if they're 2" taller. Is that taller than the sport stock? Or a different model explorer?

I'd love to go to 275/45/20's, they're extremely popular tire size with tons of options. 265/50/20's are a bit more limited in selection.

wow that's a big increase in height and width if they're 2" taller. Is that taller than the sport stock? Or a different model explorer?

I'd love to go to 275/45/20's, they're extremely popular tire size with tons of options. 265/50/20's are a bit more limited in selection.

You can get the 265's in Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus on TireRack... nice looking tire

I too have the Summer tire package of 265/45/20. I would think a 275/45/20 would fit and I plan to do so. Not sure about anything larger.

Have you found out yet?

After having pirellis on our 2011 5.0 mustang I wasn't too impressed with them. They started to dry rot and crack after 30k miles.

I didn't realize the summer tire option was a slightly wider tire. That's good news for us regular tire owners when we want to upgrade, should be no issues going 265 then.

Anyone looked into 275/45/20? They're the stock tires on 00-03 harley trucks, a very popular tire size with tons of options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also subscribing

Back