Adding Remote Start Access | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start Access

ajbtv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ltd & XLT
After training the dealership on exactly what Ford Remote Access was, and I wasn't dreaming, I was able to get them to successfully order and install the Remote Access Module.

I'm please to say that it works perfectly on my 2014 Limited Ex. It was a little difficult to explain that the unit in itself is a remote start, so it can be added to any of the qualifying Fords no matter if Remote Start is already installed or not. They got the impression it could be used to control a 3rd party remote starter, I finally got them on the right page that it controls the OEM remote start built into the computer, and then turns it on if it isn't already.

The tech that did the installation said it took a little over an hour to do the install and activate the module. It was his first one, but the instructions I found -- thanks to the great forums where others were training dealerships -- gave step by step instructions.

I actually did my first test with the tech in the parking lot 40 miles away and I entered the information into my phone and successfully locked, unlocked, and started the vehicle.

Thought this would be good information for others with a 2014 looking at the Viper "Smart Start" as an alternative, this is a Ford accessory.

For those needing to help the dealership understand:
Ford Part #: DL3Z-19G364-A
Instructions for "trucks": http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/2011-2013%20Remote%20Access_Truck3-15-2013.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, this is a handy accessory! Does this allow a phone to serve as a replacement for the fob? IE full access to lock/unlock/remote start/drive/tailgate etc?

The module looks to be around 500 bucks + install?

How much is the subscription i read about in the instructions??

The module will run approx $500 from the dealer plus install which is quoted at approx 40 minutes.

The phone app allows for lock, unlock, find, start, and stop. The find function honks the horn 5 times and flashes the lights. It also has a built in shock sensor that can be turned on and set up so you receive a text if the sensor is set off (honking the horn as well).

The yearly subscription fee is currently $50.00. You get 3 days "trial period" after the unit has been installed and activated.

Photo and ford info at http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cuvs/edge/remote-access-makes-your-smartphone-a-virtual-keyfob/

Sounds cool as I'm a gadget freak, but I can't justify that kind of outlay when I have remote start to begin with and the wife would probably flip out. lol

Tell her she will be able to start the car (and confirm it started) while she is standing in the shopping checkout line so it's warmed up or cooled off for her when she gets there. It doesn't matter where you or the vehicle are as long as both you and the vehicle can get cell service. Even from a continent away you can do it via the website interface at http://my.fordremoteaccess.com/

Say goodbye to long trips because someone can't get into their vehicle for whatever reason. Just log into the website and access the car just like on the phone.

I'll be installing this on mine and looking forward to it after several positive reviews from other owners. I really like the remote notification for the alarm activation and the ability to warm up the car while it's still in a parking garage as I'm heading out the door. Something else I thought about was the cool ability to start the car every so often while away on an extended vacation instead of having to ask someone to do that.

I'll be installing this on mine and looking forward to it after several positive reviews from other owners. I really like the remote notification for the alarm activation

Make sure they remove the jumper and activate the shock sensor with their online tool. You need to also go into the settings on the phone application and set up the notification number and carrier to receive texts from the vehicle.

Does anyone have an exact cost on this here in the states? I want to get this but would like to know how much I have to budget. Thanks.

Make sure they remove the jumper and activate the shock sensor with their online tool. You need to also go into the settings on the phone application and set up the notification number and carrier to receive texts from the vehicle.

Thanks! Does the "alarm" notification consist just of a shock sensor or does it alert (notify) to opened doors etc like the OEM system?

Thanks! Does the "alarm" notification consist just of a shock sensor or does it alert (notify) to opened doors etc like the OEM system?

I can only confirm the shock sensor at this time from my experience. However, the activation site states shock and proximity. Since it integrates with the OEM computer, I can't say either way at this time because it is plausible.

The module will run approx $500 from the dealer plus install which is quoted at approx 40 minutes.

The phone app allows for lock, unlock, find, start, and stop. The find function honks the horn 5 times and flashes the lights. It also has a built in shock sensor that can be turned on and set up so you receive a text if the sensor is set off (honking the horn as well).

The yearly subscription fee is currently $50.00. You get 3 days "trial period" after the unit has been installed and activated.

Photo and ford info at http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cuvs/edge/remote-access-makes-your-smartphone-a-virtual-keyfob/
Glad Ford caught up to the competition and offers this now. I have the older long range remote starter and would loved to have added this instead. $50 yearly for the cell service plan is fine.

I can now confirm the following:

I rolled down my window, locked the doors, waited 30 seconds, reached in and opened the door from the inside, let the car horn start honking.

I then received a text:
=========
Alert from My 14 Explorer, at 8/4/2013, 2:24PM CDT the security system was triggered by a door opening.
=========

I can now confirm the following:

I rolled down my window, locked the doors, waited 30 seconds, reached in and opened the door from the inside, let the car horn start honking.

I then received a text:
=========
Alert from My 14 Explorer, at 8/4/2013, 2:24PM CDT the security system was triggered by a door opening.
=========

That's great! I'm getting this anyway but that was the one feature I had really hoped for... a true remote notification of alarm activation to include the doors opening. Thanks for the info!

Glad I stumbled across this. I miss my remote start in my old car (now the wife's) since it had a range of about 1/2 mile. It was aftermarket though. The remote start in the Explorer doesn't seem to reach more than 100 yards which does me no good when my parking garage is 3 blocks away from my office building. I hope to contact my dealer within the week and ask about prices. Once I know, I will report back for those of you wondering.

Glad I stumbled across this. I miss my remote start in my old car (now the wife's) since it had a range of about 1/2 mile. It was aftermarket though. The remote start in the Explorer doesn't seem to reach more than 100 yards which does me no good when my parking garage is 3 blocks away from my office building. I hope to contact my dealer within the week and ask about prices. Once I know, I will report back for those of you wondering.

The accessories.ford.com website states the controller is $385 plus install; however, dealers don't seem to want to authorize this price. The price has been reported anywhere from $450 to $800 installed (plus $50/yr), all at authorized Ford dealers. They charged me $695 installed even after pointing out the websites information. The installation really is as little as 40 minutes to complete.

Some interesting info regarding parts and install prices. First dealer I called quoted a price of $891.97 for parts and install. Part was $539 and install was around $260 as they estimated it to be a 2 hour install process. When I was using the Ford Accessories website and choose "get local pricing" option it appears I was able to select a local dealer and order the part through their parts shop for $386, and have it delivered to their parts shop. That dealership said they would charge $130 an hour for labor (Ford Master Tech, not just some average install guy) to install the part. Assuming it does take 40-60 minutes to install, that would be right around $500, give or take a few dollars.

Another update. Spoke to another dealer and they said that if an official document from Ford can be provided that lists the $385 price, they would match the $385 and labor would be the standard $75/hour rate. They said most Ford part stores should/will match prices that Ford advertise. Sooooo, this unit could be ordered and installed for as little as $465.

Well. Here in Canuckistan they screwed up. Apparently there are two packages that need to be ordered. One package has the SMU and card carrier. This one is 550 bucks. The dealership ordered it and it was the techs first time installing the system ( I was told by the manager they knew what it was and had installed them). They had the Explorer in the shop from 0730 in the morning and called me at 5pm to say they need to order another package that has the RMST and T harness. This cost an additional 260 dollars. Now I'm without my vehicle until the morning and still don't have what I asked for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After doing some research you need to purchase the security system. I was talking to someone on another forum and their dealer made the same mistake. They ate the cost of the security system. Don't think my dealer will. They spent all day using mine as a guinea pig trying to figure this out. Now I will need to bring it back in when they get the part in. Pain in the ass........

Back