Rough idle, spitting carbon...Please, I NEED YOUR HELP. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle, spitting carbon...Please, I NEED YOUR HELP.

hillkitler

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
So I've been having some serious problems lately, especially once I get up past 35mph.

My specific issues are as follows:

• Firstly, it's not throwing a CEL at me at all.
  • Somewhat rough idle, RPMs aren't jumping around or anything, but it starts and sits (in Park) at around 600 and then steadily rises up to around 1100. It drops back down to around 750 when I put it in Drive. Shakes around quite a bit at lights and such.
  • Problems with acceleration from lights and stop signs.
  • Tailpipe is spitting carbon onto ground as well as dripping condensation, which it has never done before. It's also really...put-putty sounding--like some kind of clown car. I'm not getting any smoke at all.
  • The biggest problem is that my speed is topping out at around 45. I put it all the way into the floor and it just won't accelerate any more. It's not that the RPMs keep rising and it just won't shift up, it just drives like it normally would at 37-43ish, albeit pretty sputtery, like it's trying really hard.
  • Serious issues going up hills; big loss of power and acceleration and the ticking from the rockers reaches what I can only describe as a fever pitch. It just keeps building until it sounds like it's going to explode.
  • More rocker noise than usual (1-2 months ago).
  • Pretty loud whining from the fuel pump, but the pressure test only showed it as 2 or 3 psi low at idle and ~5 under load. I replaced the fuel filter, but I haven't retested yet.

So far I have:
  • Replaced air, fuel and oil filters.
  • Changed oil.
  • Topped off all fluids.
  • Seafoam in intake and oil.
  • Cleaned MAF and IAC.

This is my only viable form of transportation and honestly I really care about the car and want to get her running again. These forums have saved me in the past and I'm really hoping that you guys can do it again.

Thanks a lot everyone! I really hope you can help me out.

check for vacuum leaks. i had a loose hose on the tree and my ex was doing exactly what yours was doing.

check for vacuum leaks. i had a loose hose on the tree and my ex was doing exactly what yours was doing.

Another common area for a vacuum leak is under and behind the throttle body. Remove the throttle body (easy) and look for vacuum line condition there.

And just for fun, unplug the MAF and drive. If it makes little or no difference, the MAF may have failed.

Back