Raptor Grille?

ghostpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Paragould AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey guys,
I got to thinking about making a Raptor style grille for my rig. I'm a visual person and decided to put something together in Photoshop to get an idea. If I do this I'll have to make a complete drawing so I can cut it out on the CNC at work. I had the idea of using .090 aluminum to cut the pieces out of and welding and/or using some Lords adhesive to put it all together then have it powdercoated matte black.

raptor-grille-explorer_zps14cc256d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your concept looks great. In my opinion you should make the FORD letters a little taller though. Aluminum would be great, but I think a thin steel would be stronger and less expensive. It'd also be a little easier to work with as far as welding the top and bottom mounting sections together.

If it turns out alright and you're up for making more than one, I might be in the market for one.

Thanks guys. The reason for the aluminum, is because I work with it everyday, cutting, welding, etc. It's also readily available to me for free from scrap pieces. I'll end up using the slip roll to match the curve of the front.

Here's a drawing of the final product. I may try to do something this week.
The white lines are just cut lines. The cut lines on the FORD lettering are for an extra overlay for the main section so I can change the color if I decide to down the road. The main grille will be in 3 sections and I'll place vertical braces behind of them. I'll have to wait until after I get everything cut out to get a size for the side pieces that is in the Photoshopped image in the original post.

grille_zps0c247b61.jpg

High approval. Looking forward to seeing something like this materialize.

To be honest, I didn't expect so much positive response and thanks for that. I almost went to the shop today to cut everything out, but decided to get the boat out instead.

I hope you can make it. I liked the one someone made previously...and it appears some opinions have changed about the idea. I like the idea a lot. for me the letters would need to be bigger though. They just seem on the small side.

Looks very good actually. I would just make the FORD letters taller as others have stated.

I think if you stretched it to the sides just a LITTLE bit it would look perfect.
Like in your first picture, just close up the HUGE gaps on top and bottom of FORD.

AND!!!!!

If you could do that and make matching mesh covers (that don't say FORD) for the fog light and lower grille I'd definitely be a buyer. As long as the price isn't TOO ridiculous, of course ;)

How's this? I didn't think about the lower grille. That might take some thinking on the mounting. I'm also up in the air about building a bumper for it.

tallletters3_zpse46d3dfa.jpg

As long as the price isn't TOO ridiculous, of course ;)

These are tough times for Brian, just look, he can't even afford elite membership anymore :eek:

;)

I like your original design, others look great as well. No matter which one you do, cant wait to see it finished! Saw a Raptor today, always a double take.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back