Photos - 3rd gen pic's | Page 245 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's a couple pics of the explorer. Built a new and stronger roof rack, getting ready to put a 2" body lift. Got new monroe struts all the way around. Hopefully here in the near future I will be getting some 285's to put on her.
DSCN0586.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0587.jpg
[/IMG]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi im new here i just bought this truck a month ago and did some work on it i plasti dipped the wheels and trim trying to black it out just wondering what i should do next.
20130906_1643231_zpse0bc5758.jpg

Hi im new here i just bought this truck a month ago and did some work on it i plasti dipped the wheels and trim trying to black it out just wondering what i should do next.

I recommend two good starters. The first is grabbing some clear corner turn signals. That's always my go-to mod for any explorer (I hate the yellow - it's visually unbalanced). Try to get mirrored bulbs for the corners that shine amber when lit, but have no faint color when off.

For the second, grab a nice bull bar or grill guard. Hunter brands will run you about 250 bucks and they get the job done nicely, and are well made considering the price. Then a little on the back, middle, front, back, middle, etc.

-Dubya

haha it looks alot like my explorer, bigger tyres change the whole look of the vehicle, i had 265-75-16 bfg km2's on stock height and wheels looked really good, and remove the side steps, it gives it a higher look :), good luck with it :D

I recommend two good starters. The first is grabbing some clear corner turn signals. That's always my go-to mod for any explorer (I hate the yellow - it's visually unbalanced). Try to get mirrored bulbs for the corners that shine amber when lit, but have no faint color when off.

For the second, grab a nice bull bar or grill guard. Hunter brands will run you about 250 bucks and they get the job done nicely, and are well made considering the price. Then a little on the back, middle, front, back, middle, etc.

-Dubya

I agree with getting rid of the factory turn signal housings in the front, they are awful looking. If you want to black the thing out, don't do just the clear housing, grab the ones with the black inside, and do that for the headlights and the turns, really helps the blackout look without cutting down on the headlight output. If you want my opinion on bulbs to put in the turn signals, if you are ever going to do HID's, then get switchback bulbs in. They are amazing and that's what I have in my truck now. Cleans things up and is still legal.

Edit:

Check out my registry, there is some pictures of the blackout housing that I have in there. As well as pictures of my switchbacks.

Been Around for a while...See my Registry for info...

Day one - July 2013
2013-06-27_19-52-03_286.jpg

Recent Pics....

2013-08-05_19-18-34_426.jpg

2013-08-23_18-42-07_414.jpg

2013-08-23_20-11-13_608-1.jpg

2013-08-31_11-27-44_912.jpg

I agree with getting rid of the factory turn signal housings in the front, they are awful looking. If you want to black the thing out, don't do just the clear housing, grab the ones with the black inside, and do that for the headlights and the turns, really helps the blackout look without cutting down on the headlight output. If you want my opinion on bulbs to put in the turn signals, if you are ever going to do HID's, then get switchback bulbs in. They are amazing and that's what I have in my truck now. Cleans things up and is still legal.

Edit:

Check out my registry, there is some pictures of the blackout housing that I have in there. As well as pictures of my switchbacks.

Where did you get the clear turns? Been looking on line and cant find them.

Hey guys. Never really thought about it till i found this website tryna see why my heater wouldn work and found the blend door fix, but i am looking to do some mods when i get home from Afghanistan next month. Can anybody suggest where i can get some clear turn signals? Also what is the consensus on HID lights? I want better and brighter but dont wanna blind people everywhere i go. Any other mod or custom suggestions will be appreciated. Love my 2003 V8 4x4. Second Explorer i'v owned.

Hey guys. Never really thought about it till i found this website tryna see why my heater wouldn work and found the blend door fix, but i am looking to do some mods when i get home from Afghanistan next month. Can anybody suggest where i can get some clear turn signals? Also what is the consensus on HID lights? I want better and brighter but dont wanna blind people everywhere i go. Any other mod or custom suggestions will be appreciated. Love my 2003 V8 4x4. Second Explorer i'v owned.

I love my HID's, but yeah... unless you are an ass like me and don't care to make people mad on the road, then yeah they blind everyone. I get brighted all the time on 2 lane roads at night. Been flipped off a few times. I just giggle and keep driving. Like Mr. Dubya said, they are super cheap on ebay. I paid like 25 bucks shipped for mine.

lol i got the same exact set up, with the trim and all except i throug limo tint all around with a strip

Did you paint the trim yourself?

Here's a couple pics of the explorer. Built a new and stronger roof rack, getting ready to put a 2" body lift. Got new monroe struts all the way around. Hopefully here in the near future I will be getting some 285's to put on her.
DSCN0586.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0587.jpg
[/IMG]

Monroe struts all around? Thought you had done a coilover conversion? What happened to your XD Hoss wheels? I see you have 2nd gen wheels on it. Curious. :scratch:

Monroe struts all around? Thought you had done a coilover conversion? What happened to your XD Hoss wheels? I see you have 2nd gen wheels on it. Curious. :scratch:

He did have coilovers…

If I remember correctly he was wheeling on a hill and the hill didn't like it very much lol

Brian was right, I had a little accident while wheeling bent my wheels and busted my coil overs so I put the struts back on and take it easy on it now. Only easy trails for it now.

Got the new grille completed.

IMAG0493-1_zps337700a7.jpg

IMAG0494-1_zps75dd4b56.jpg

IMAG0496-1_zps15740d4d.jpg

IMAG0500-1_zps4624ba32.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:Dag MAAANNNNN, you did the d## thing with that grille! I have been wanting it on my truck since it came out, I pass by the dealership daily and was like dam its hot, Im new to this really and liked it on the pick-up but knew it would be hella unique on an explorer and man it does, great job man.. I was looking for one to modify but couldnt find one..i searched ebay like crazy. I got to the point I was looking for the measurements to get letters cut or someting and try to recreate it....Where'd you find yours? Did you do a write up you wouldnt mind sharing? :):):):)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek::eek::eek:Dag MAAANNNNN, you did the d## thing with that grille! I have been wanting it on my truck since it came out, I pass by the dealership daily and was like dam its hot, Im new to this really and liked it on the pick-up but knew it would be hella unique on an explorer and man it does, great job man.. I was looking for one to modify but couldnt find one..i searched ebay like crazy....Where'd you find yours? Did you do a write up you wouldnt mind sharing? :)

LOL, you could honestly start a side business making these.

Back