Anyone gone from a sporty car to an Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone gone from a sporty car to an Explorer Sport?

Jason0279

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi,
I’m hoping to get some feedback from Explorer Sport owners.

I currently own a tuned 2012 Mustang GT that is my daily driver. I’ve always had quick cars and have wanted to trade for a quick SUV for a while now. Back in 2011 I traded a 2007 Mustang for a 2011 Edge, thinking it would be quick enough to keep me happy with the 305 hp Mustang V6. It turned out to be a big mistake. While I liked the vehicle and all the bells and whistles, performance was seriously lacking. I should have done more research before making that trade. The 0-60 on it was somewhere in the mid 8’s.

Now, I really like the Explorer Sport and have even taken one for a test drive. Although I didn’t take off at full throttle, I did floor it a couple of times while doing 30-40 and it seemed pretty quick. I know the 0-60 is around 6.2 which is nowhere near the sub 4.5 of the Mustang, but it’s way better than the Edge.

What I would like to know is if anyone has gone from a sporty car to the Explorer Sport, and if so, are you still happy with it. I’ve referenced 0-60 times but that can only tell you so much, I’m wondering about seat-of-the-pants feel. How does it feel on a daily basis? Good passing power? Quick enough off the line? I know it’s not a sports car but I would still like some feedback.

Lastly, if there’s anyone in the Chicago area, maybe someone would be willing to take me for a spin to show me what it can really do? :D

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm your guy :)

I came out of an Infinity G37XS; best balance of power and handling of any car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. Unfortunately, it was no longer capable of transporting my 4-child family safely, so it was time to move on. I really struggled with the decision, but in the end there weren't too many options to choose from. The V-8 grand Cherokee was nice, as was the Acura MDX, but overall I preferred the performance edge of the Ex. My impressions are as follows after 3 weeks of ownership:

Power: I don't miss the power; the Sport has plenty. It's not a 0-60 demon, but I've surprised more than a few people with the EcoBoost. Passing power is excellent; the first day I owned it I passed a semi on a two lane highway and it actually stunned me a little how quickly it got up to (crazy) speed. There is some torque steer, but for me it's negligible. I had a Saab turbo that tried to kill me every day I drove it, so my perspective might be a little different.

Handling: It's an SUV. A good handling SUV, but an SUV none the less. The will be more body roll, but it's pretty well controlled. Steering feel is good; better than expected. Brakes are also quite good, but you have to remember you're hauling down a lot of mass. Many dismiss the shift paddles, but on the right road, if you know how to use them, they can add to the experience. I've hustled my Sport down some twisty two-land and have been pleased with the results. It will NEVER be a sports sedan, let alone a sports car, but good luck towing and hauling a family's worth of stuff around in those :D

Comfort: Overall I think it's more comfortable than my G37 - especially for passengers. Suspension is firm, but not too firm. The seats seem nice and they are cooled and heated. They don't have much lateral bolstering, but that's a double edged sword - they come in handy when corning hard, but are a little constrictive otherwise.

Telematics/Other: MFT has taken a lot of abuse over the last couple years, and some of it is warranted. The software releases seem to get better; 3.6.2 has been solid for me and I have really had no issues. I have the dual DVD option in mine, and that has been quite good - I didn't think I'd like it as much as the single pull down in our van, but this is WAY more flexible.

Granted, I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase of ownership. My greatest fear continues to be reliability but, so far so good. Unfortunately, I can not accommodate your request for a drive, but if you are ever in Pittsburgh, PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck with your decision!

My DD is the Explorer. My weekend toys are Porsches. It's not even close. And I didn't expect it to be.

If you want good 0-60 times, buy a Vette or a Viper. Cheap and quick.

Stumper - thanks for the very informative reply!

Bill - um, not so much...sorry, not all of us have the money to throw around on "cheap" Corvettes or Vipers. But thanks for not answering my question and taking the opportunity to flaunt your wealth! Have a great day!

- Jason

Had a 2006 mb c230 sport. Fun car and very quick. Reason why I went with an suv is so i could tow and have more room to throw things in the back.

Test drove several suvs, and the ex sport was by far my favorite. Great looks, nice interior and electronics, and best of all the power. No problem at all adjusting to it. I can't take the corners as quick but therefore I have a superbike which i can hall ass with

If you need a three row SUV and don't have Bill's money, the Sport is the fastest game in town. I went from an '11 SHO to a "14 Sport and have no regrets.

We made the exact same jump as you.

We had a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (M6) with an intake, tune, axleback, lowered, ran 12.0 @ 117 in the 1/4. Dynoed 400 rwhp. The car was a blast.

Wifey is expecting, so her 5.0 had to go. We got a 2013 Explorer Sport as her new DD/family vehicle. She cried when we left the dealership with her 5.0 behind lol. We both love the Sport, but it's no comparison to a Mustang. That said, no SUV will be a comparison to a car. The mustang had it's advantages, balls off the line, banging gears, killer sound, very responsive. The Explorer sport is sluggish off the line in comparison, no gears to bang, and it's not nearly as responsive although a tune may fix that, but a lot of that is probably the M6 vs A6 too. But, the explorer has a ton of mid-range power with the TTs, it's so smooth, so much more room, still stands out on its own among other SUVs, and it's 12 second capable with a few mods.

All in all, if you have to make the jump for more room, it's an excellent choice. If you don't need the room and just wanted an SUV as fast as your 5.0, it's not going to fill those shoes, unless your mustang is bone stock, and you plan on modding your sport.

Hey,
Thanks for all of the replys.

I know that the Ex Sport will never be comparable to the Mustang. My commute has doubled since I bought the Mustang and I just want something more comfortable, with more space that my wife and I can travel in (no kids :) ) if we choose not to fly. I've wanted an SUV for a couple years but I want something that can still haul ass a bit.

If money and gas were no object, I'd consider the BMW X5 or the Cherokee SRT, but the former is too expensive and the latter $$$ and a gas hog!

I've looked at everything available on the market right now, and aside from being happy with my last few Fords, the Ex seems to have the best of everything I want. I'm just about certain that I'll end up with a Ruby Red Sport in the next few months!

- Jason

Hey,

I know that the Ex Sport will never be comparable to the Mustang. My commute has doubled since I bought the Mustang and I just want something more comfortable, with more space that my wife and I can travel in (no kids :) ) if we choose not to fly. I've wanted an SUV for a couple years but I want something that can still haul ass a bit.

If money and gas were no object, I'd consider the BMW X5 or the Cherokee SRT, but the former is too expensive and the latter $$$ and a gas hog!

I've looked at everything available on the market right now, and aside from being happy with my last few Fords, the Ex seems to have the best of everything I want. I'm just about certain that I'll end up with a Ruby Red Sport in the next few months!

- Jason

When we bought our Ex Sport, the X5 was in the cross-shop list. I looked at a nice '11 4.8 X5 with the sport package and third row. Price-wise, it was about a draw between the two. We went with the Ex Sport because with 3 kids, the X5 was short on room (and third row was a joke), and the expense after warranty is a bit daunting. The original plan was to get a Cayenne Diesel, but that too would have been tight on space, and even with a 20% employee discount, it was 20+% more than the Ex.

I still have a sports car for my DD (the Ex is for my wife), but I would miss it if the Ex was the only car. I really like the Ex, and it is great for road trips, but in the end, it doesn't handle like a sports car, as Harley said.

Hey,

- Jason

Just another comparison point I forgot to mention, the Sport is worse on gas than our 5.0 mustang was. We'd regularly get 18-20 driving back and forth to work in the Mustang, and 22-24 on the highway. With the Sport we get 16-18 driving back and forth to work, and 20-22 highway. Now before everyone starts posting up "well I get X/Y/Z mpg!", that's just a comparison for the same drivers, same daily route, same driving habbits, and the only difference being what is beneath that right foot.

The Touareg TDI diesel will haul ass (same platform as the Cayenne, 8 spd, 420 lbs torque), drives like a sports car, has luxury fit and finish, and gives me 32 MPG hwy consistently.

The Touareg TDI was actually what I had narrowed my search down to as well. The Volvo's got dropped of the list fast by being too outdated. I liked the Touareg TDI more then the Explorer Sport, wife was the opposite.

In the end, we wend with the Sport even though it was my call since it's the car I drive all the time. We already have a 2010 Audi A4 and the VW just felt too similar inside for us and didn't want two cars that felt the same.

I'd say to give that a look if you haven't already. Much smoother transmission and refined ride I'd say.

That all said, I wouldn't say the Sport beats any car I've had, but it feels pretty close in that it has the power to get out of its own way and doesn't handle like a brick around the turns. And the brakes are very good for the tank it is.

I think that buying the Sport + a tune you'd be happy with it. The tune really is a must for me, there is so much torque management in the stock tune that you really aren't even getting wide open throttle until part way through second gear thus making the suv much slower and sluggish.

Just another comparison point I forgot to mention, the Sport is worse on gas than our 5.0 mustang was. We'd regularly get 18-20 driving back and forth to work in the Mustang, and 22-24 on the highway. With the Sport we get 16-18 driving back and forth to work, and 20-22 highway. Now before everyone starts posting up "well I get X/Y/Z mpg!", that's just a comparison for the same drivers, same daily route, same driving habbits, and the only difference being what is beneath that right foot.

Harley,
The mpg is a consideration. I'm currently getting only 16 combined with the Mustang. If I could only drive on the highway all the time; I get about 26. Now, I love the throttle - no doubt about it - but I think part of it is because it's there, and so much fun. I think I would be less aggressive with the go pedal in the Ex Sport. And the slightly larger gas tank will help as well. I usually can't go a week without filling up.

- Jason

The Touareg TDI was actually what I had narrowed my search down to as well. The Volvo's got dropped of the list fast by being too outdated. I liked the Touareg TDI more then the Explorer Sport, wife was the opposite.

In the end, we wend with the Sport even though it was my call since it's the car I drive all the time. We already have a 2010 Audi A4 and the VW just felt too similar inside for us and didn't want two cars that felt the same.

I'd say to give that a look if you haven't already. Much smoother transmission and refined ride I'd say.

That all said, I wouldn't say the Sport beats any car I've had, but it feels pretty close in that it has the power to get out of its own way and doesn't handle like a brick around the turns. And the brakes are very good for the tank it is.

I think that buying the Sport + a tune you'd be happy with it. The tune really is a must for me, there is so much torque management in the stock tune that you really aren't even getting wide open throttle until part way through second gear thus making the suv much slower and sluggish.

Ryan,
The Touareg is nice, and my brother has one, but I just can't get past the looks, it's just so plain! If I'm giving up looks and power, I have to love the way it looks, and I do like the Ex.

In deciding, I have thought that if I'm not happy with the Ex I can just get a tune. My last two Mustangs are/were tuned and it made a world of difference on each. Plus I'm a car guy, working on my own cars since I was 15 so the idea of tinkering with a new car doesn't bother me.

Thanks,
Jason

Harley,
The mpg is a consideration. I'm currently getting only 16 combined with the Mustang. If I could only drive on the highway all the time; I get about 26. Now, I love the throttle - no doubt about it - but I think part of it is because it's there, and so much fun. I think I would be less aggressive with the go pedal in the Ex Sport. And the slightly larger gas tank will help as well. I usually can't go a week without filling up.

- Jason

Problem is the Ex tank is only 19 gal, so not that big (our old Mountaineer was 22, and the Cayenne 26--provided for a bit more travel distance).

Harley,

- Jason

I'm just as aggressive, if not more aggressive on the go pedal in the sport than I was the 5.0. Maybe because the 5.0 had more balls so I didn't need to romp it as hard, or maybe because the roush axleback had an awesome tone even without romping on it hard, or maybe because the explorer is so quiet yet so zippy in mid range that I don't realize how far I'm pressing the pedal with it so quiet and smooth, but I probably do drive the sport slightly more aggressive than the 5.0. Usually have to fill the tank around 300 miles so the range isn't spectacular, although I'm used to my Raptor's 36 gallon fuel tank.

Doing the BOV VTA mod probably didn't help the mpg either, I love hearing the turbos blow off so I'm always romping it to hear them vent to atmosphere lol

One word harley, TUNE!

I know for me i'm actually much easier on the pedal now and tend to short first the gears to keep the power just right.

One word harley, TUNE!

I know for me i'm actually much easier on the pedal now and tend to short first the gears to keep the power just right.

Trying to hold out at least till the standard 3 year warranty is up before tuning it. We'll see how long that lasts though lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To the OP, it depends on your definition of a 'sports' car -
many German, or Italian, or... drivers wouldn't consider a mustang a sports car :)

The wife's DD was an Audi and she likes the sport better - and to me - it holds it's own - again, that's for what WE expect of it...
and that's the correct word - what do you expect of it ? only you can define that - not us.

For a factory design and the limitations inherent from that, it does well.

good luck on your decision - but do get ready for the severe limitations of the mft and the torque mgmt / steering - even without tuning !

Back