Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks for the info!

If you're purchasing, the dealer may try to sell you one at the end of the sale.
If you already have a range of ESP prices, try counter offering the dealers price with your own, see if they play ball.
If they do not give you a good price and start talking smack, let them.
Then get your plan online.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are warranty plans any good

wondering if anybody purchased a warranty service plan from car dealer during the purchased of a used Explorer 2011 with 41K

I would recommend purchasing a ford extended warranty because the aftermarket ones are mostly scams and donot cover things or will only cover a percentage of the repair( I work at a Infiniti car dealer and we deal with them all the time).

wondering if anybody purchased a warranty service plan from car dealer during the purchased of a used Explorer 2011 with 41K

I purchased one on my used 2011 when I bought it in Feb. I went with the Ford ESP even though the dealer tried steering me to some plan they "always" use. Far too many electronic gadgets that can mess up for me to chance not getting it.

Cant purchase an ESP from Ford after the 3yr/36k mile warranty expires.

If a 3rd party will sell to you, be VERY careful and read the whole contract. There are so many exclusions like (diagnostic time is not covered... they can and will use the cheapest part available- non OEM if it is cheaper).

Cant purchase an ESP from Ford after the 3yr/36k mile warranty expires.

If a 3rd party will sell to you, be VERY careful and read the whole contract. There are so many exclusions like (diagnostic time is not covered... they can and will use the cheapest part available- non OEM if it is cheaper).
Not sure if that is totally correct. I have a 48 month LeaseCare ESP on mine. When I spoke with the dealer a while ago about possibly buying it out when the lease was up he said I should buy an extension before the factory warranty runs out. I asked him what would happen if I didn't and then decided I wanted a warranty. He said it would be more expensive since the vehicle would then be classified as 'used'.

Peter

Not sure if that is totally correct. I have a 48 month LeaseCare ESP on mine. When I spoke with the dealer a while ago about possibly buying it out when the lease was up he said I should buy an extension before the factory warranty runs out. I asked him what would happen if I didn't and then decided I wanted a warranty. He said it would be more expensive since the vehicle would then be classified as 'used'.

Peter

Unless Ford has changed things, you can buy a ESP within 1yr/12k at a price. If you purchase after the 1yr/12k but before the 3yr/36k, there is a $200 surcharge. Anything after 3yr/36k, you can't purchase one.

I did just go to Flood Ford's ESP website as they are one of the discounted dealers online and typed in 48,000 miles for my Explorer and got this message:

"Ford vehicles with mileage greater then 36,000 miles are not eligible for a new vehicle warranty. Please check with your local dealer for used vehicle pricing."

I'm going to email my contact who I've referred many times to see what he says about used pricing. I'll post back once I hear from him.

Peter, here is the response I got back from my contact.

"Brian, if the vehicle is beyond its 36/36 then it is no longer eligible for a “New” vehicle plan so you have to buy a “Used” plan. They are sold in 12/12 increments and a Used Vehicle Inspection is required prior to being able to sell a plan. Normally the inspection will run about $100 to complete if no problems are found. The reason being is because it keeps people who discover they need a $2500 Transmission job from coming in and buying a $1500 plan to cover it. You also have to wait 30 days from the date the plan is purchased before the first claim can be written on the warranty."

So I guess it is possible but pricing is unknown because of the months/mileage combo. Also, makes it impossible to shop online prices because your dealer that sells it has to do the inspection. So because of that, it is hard to know what cost is and whether you are getting "raped" if you will on the price. There really is no reason for a dealership to negotiate with you with online prices since online places can't sell them.

Peter, here is the response I got back from my contact.

"Brian, if the vehicle is beyond its 36/36 then it is no longer eligible for a “New” vehicle plan so you have to buy a “Used” plan. They are sold in 12/12 increments and a Used Vehicle Inspection is required prior to being able to sell a plan. Normally the inspection will run about $100 to complete if no problems are found. The reason being is because it keeps people who discover they need a $2500 Transmission job from coming in and buying a $1500 plan to cover it. You also have to wait 30 days from the date the plan is purchased before the first claim can be written on the warranty."

So I guess it is possible but pricing is unknown because of the months/mileage combo. Also, makes it impossible to shop online prices because your dealer that sells it has to do the inspection. So because of that, it is hard to know what cost is and whether you are getting "raped" if you will on the price. There really is no reason for a dealership to negotiate with you with online prices since online places can't sell them.
Thanks for the expanded explanation on that 'Used' warranty. I didn't really follow it up that much with my dealer but I guess it does make some sense.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Peter

Both Zeigler and Troy Ford quote prices and sell ESPs on out-of-warranty vehicles on their sites. From Zeigler: "Vehicles that are outside of the factory warranty may also qualify for a Ford Extended Service Plan, however, a Used Vehicle Inspection must be completed by any authorized Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer or authorized service center prior to completing the purchase. Please see the Document Library to download the Used Vehicle Inspection Form."

Both Zeigler and Troy Ford quote prices and sell ESPs on out-of-warranty vehicles on their sites. From Zeigler: "Vehicles that are outside of the factory warranty may also qualify for a Ford Extended Service Plan, however, a Used Vehicle Inspection must be completed by any authorized Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer or authorized service center prior to completing the purchase. Please see the Document Library to download the Used Vehicle Inspection Form."

Good to know, I just happened to check out Troy Ford and damn they are expensive for out of warranty ESPs.

I paid $1,700 for a 6yr/125k First day rental on the Premium ESP.

The same plan with a 5yr/75k warranty is $2,505.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is if it is 5yr/75k from the original warranty or from when you purchase it. I'm assuming that it is from the date/mileage of when you buy the ESP since they have a $420 surcharge for vehicles that are model year 2002-2006.

Still.. Ouch!! I'd rather buy from day 1 and take their no interest payment plans. I put 10% down and did a 17 month payment plan with no interest on it.

They are expensive. However, if someone like the OP is buying a used vehicle that is out of warranty, it might make sense.

re ford extended warranty

Glad to see that someone else shares my opinion. I posted way back that it seems like an electrical or software problem since restarting the Explorer would sometimes fix the problem.

Peter

Peter HELP ME FIND THE CORRECT PLACE TO ORDER THE EXTENDED WARRANTY .I REMEMBER A PLACE WAS MENTIONED BUT UNABLE TO FIND

Peter HELP ME FIND THE CORRECT PLACE TO ORDER THE EXTENDED WARRANTY .I REMEMBER A PLACE WAS MENTIONED BUT UNABLE TO FIND

I've referred many people to my contact who sells them $100 over cost but I don't think he can sell to Canadian residents. I've emailed him to find out and will know in a day or two.

There is a place in Barrie. They appear to be a Ford dealer that offers the ESP. http://fordesp.ca/
You can also get it through your dealer. I know that some have also successfully bought it from an American dealer.

I will move your post to an existing thread on ESP's. I think there are also others.
Also keep in mind that any ESP you purchase will start from the time you took possession of your vehicle and not from the time you buy the ESP.

Peter

I get the need for ESP after the Bumper to Bumper is over.

Why would you want to pay for Premium ESP on top of the Bumper to Bumper warranty?

During the Bumper to Bumper 3 years what would ESP give you extra?

Why would you want to pay for Premium ESP on top of the Bumper to Bumper warranty?

You pay $200 more if you have passed the 1yr/12k mark.

You get a rental when you are within the bumper to bumper that you don't get without the esp.

For a small fee, you can finance the esp for 12 or 18 months at 0% interest.

Also, in addition to what blwnsmoke mentioned, the ESP must be bought or extended prior to the expiration of the factory warranty. Otherwise you will pay more for it because the Explorer will be considered a 'used' vehicle resulting in a higher premium. And, no matter what length of ESP warranty you buy, unless it is the used card ESP, the start date goes back to when you originally bought the vehicle. So a 48 month ESP only extends the warranty 1 year beyond the factory warranty and a 7 year extends it 4 years.

Peter

Sorry, my contact can't sell to Canada. Best of luck!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Duplicate post.. damn cell phone.

Back