Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Correct, but with a sport you have plenty of power to spare.
Also, I'm only investigating this lift but not sure I will have the nerve to be the guinea pig on this one. My Sport comes in about 2 weeks and was $60k Canadian (we pay about 30% more for vehicles after taxes). Plus, there's the whole warranty issues too.
However; someone with a 2011 model with the warranty already expired and the value down some might want to start tinkering? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, I'd love to see it with some proper off-road tires and nicer wheels.

Moving thread to 'Modified' forum

This thread is being moved to the 'Modified' forum.

Peter

I bought a lifted 2012 Explorer. It's even Pumpkin Orange:D

On a more serious note... I will give a 1 year Elite Explorer membership to the first person who does a suspension lift on their 5th gen Explorer and details the process:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2012_matchbox.jpg
    2012_matchbox.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,084

There is another recent threads on here about lifting the 2011+ Explorer with pictures of vehicles I posted. The lift kit is about $400. Nobody on this forum has yet to be the guinee pig. However Traxda says they've sold over 100 kits and no issues.

I can't find the link to the thread right now but here is the kit and 1 photo.

(dead links)

The first member who lifts their 5th Gen, and details the process will get a 1 year Elite Explorer subscription. Just be sure to send me a PM with a link to your thread:thumbsup:

I'm going to SEMA in November. I'll keep my eye out for any lifted 5th gens.

that would be something... I was dreaming about another first gen but now... Chicago police has got a lot of Explorers in their service - pretty soon those will be available to purchase, used - might be a good idea to keep my eyes open for a deal like that and than build it, maybe not so much for mudding but for expeditions.......

that's a big maybe - would have to find a good deal on a truck first - I always envied guys driving their $70k, $80k Range Rovers through some deep mud or on sharp rocks and still feel the same paying $40k for a brand new Explorer and installing a lift and mud tires on it right away.

I just checked the attendee list and Traxda will be at the SEMA show. Hopefully there will be a few examples of lifted 5th gens this year. :thumbsup:

To answer the original question anything is "liftable" the question is simply how much lift do you want? I was going to lift my civic 2" to fit the smallest BFG a/t except a blown head gasket put a damper on that. I am currently lifting a golf cart ,and the Honda crv (ifs/irs unibody) has lift kits in production. However all the vehicles I just referenced got lifted the same way and were lifted 2-3" max. On the new explorer what will limit you is droop travel. More specifically ball joint travel and cv angles. The way that the lift is achieved is simply a strut spacer just like pickup truck leveling kits that "droops" the suspension to a lower point thus raising the vehicle. Now if you are looking for anymore than 2 inches that's is when you get into all kids of axle swaps, frame swaps, and custom money pits. So can it be done heck yes like I said ANYTHING can be lifted.

Looks like they did it on a base model without those fancy features on the limited or sport...I am wondering if that would be a challenge with the avoid collision sensors, blindspot sensors, hill descent, and whatever else it may come with.

Someone has got to lift one up like this! :D I bought this last June because *cough* my daughter wanted it *cough* ;)

Attachments

• 5th Gen.jpg
    5th Gen.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 971

There aren't any lift kits other than the Traxda for the newest models yet and that kit concerns me because who wants to lift their rig then spend $1,200 or so on rubber just to camber ruin the tires! That kit just pushes the suspension down from the top using the same point of leverage on the bottom, which cambers the tires out pretty good. About the only thing you can do for some added height is tires. After lots of research the biggest you can fit under the new Explorer is 265/70r17. I spent a few hours at Discount and ended up with Goodyear DuraTracs. They are fine in the rear, but rub just ever so slightly in the front when the wheel is turned all the in either direction. The tires gave the vehicle about 1 1/2 inch lift and look VERY aggressive.

Be carefull with this lift everyone!!!! Notice how nothing is changed with the lower control arm. What that means is by pushing the suspension down from the top and not adjusting the camber at all, your tires will be cambered in quite a bit, and who wants to do that with really expensive rubber?!?!

265/70 r17's will give you around 1 1/2" all the way around

Be carefull with this lift everyone!!!! Notice how nothing is changed with the lower control arm. What that means is by pushing the suspension down from the top and not adjusting the camber at all, your tires will be cambered in quite a bit, and who wants to do that with really expensive rubber?!?!

265/70 r17's will give you around 1 1/2" all the way around

According to Spc ( the alignment people), The 2011-2014 explorer come with adjustable camber right from the factory. That means you don't need to buy parts to fix the Camber during an alignment after lifting it. Of course you're still going to do less than 2" or so of lift due to ball joint angles and the amount camber that can be adjusted out.

~Mark

Pics pics pics!

Pics on the lift or tires?

2012 Explorer with Traxda front lift kit

Explorer_zpsb0eb98b4.jpg

Just want to share my Explorer fitted with Traxda front leveling kit. It has 22" with 275/40/22 Nitto tires. 1.25" front lift. No more nose dive as what we commonly observe in EX. No rubbing issues at all. Satisfied owner! The ride is the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats:chug:

I don't suppose you took photos of the process of installing the kit?

Back