Radar detector tips/ suggestions? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radar detector tips/ suggestions?

Just be a good person and run 3 to 5 mph over the limit, and no one will ever bother you.....most jurisdictions don't waste time or effort to write for less then 10 or over....unless they are trying to prove a point to you detector boys...and that's a fact Jack.....best regards Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just be a good person and run 3 to 5 mph over the limit, and no one will ever bother you.....most jurisdictions don't waste time or effort to write for less then 10 or over....unless they are trying to prove a point to you detector boys...and that's a fact Jack.....best regards Plum
I agree. I usually set my ACC at 10 km (6 miles) over the posted limit and have gone through manned radar zones with no issues at all. Besides, the last time I checked radar detectors are illegal here anyway except in the three western provinces.

Peter

but what if you really enjoy going 15-25 over? what then?

I've had a V1 for 5+ years, so trying to suggest I don't get it is somewhat of a mute point.

ok, tried not to say this....
but, some of you telling him that's it's stoopid to ask this are the same ones that put make mods to your car that I think are purely cosmetic and in some cases, juvenile... but that's personal opinion and I let it be...

SO FAR, we still have SOME measure of personal choice, so we should be able to decide what to do with our own equipment....
let's offer him a suggestion on how to answer his question or let it be....

I was able to figure it out. It's not rocket science... Just thought someone might have a walk through or a diagram that would have made it a bit easier.

Peter - as long as its legal - there's nothing inherently wrong with using a radar detector. It doesn't even mean you're speeding. A friend of mine keeps one (out of sight) just so he can be extra aware when police are around. He almost always drives the speed limit, and is a good driver. Unfortunately for him there are some places in the US where you can still get a DWB, despite being well educated, well spoken, and driving a nice, but not ostentatious car. Assuming a radar detector's only purpose is to dodge speeding tickets is just plain silly.

There's a comedian who says that everyone slower than you is an idiot, and everyone faster is a maniac. You admitted that you speed, 68 in a 60 on the highway. Give all the reasons you want for why thats okay, but 70 in a 60 isn't - they're all bologna. Fact is, people will generally drive at whatever speed they feel is safe. Many of the speed limits in the US were set during the oil crisis in the 70s; others are arbitrarily set by a municipality looking to use its police force to bring in additional revenue. If you're not driving dangerously, there's no reason to get pulled over. A radar detector just might alert you that the local constabulary is around, and to switch to "follow the rules" instead of "drive safely."

I agree with your post. I have no issues with people using a radar detector. My only concern would be for the way a very small minority may drive because of the protection they feel it offers them. The reason I said 68 mph instead of 70 is that it equates closely to 110 kmph on my speedometer which is usually what I would lock in. Following the speed limit here means that most vehicles will likely be passing you. Most highways now can definitely accommodate higher speeds but in many cases in Canada, the traffic laws in various provinces have not kept pace so we are stuck with a 'legal' limit of 100 kmph (62 mph) on most major highways.
In any case we are drifting a little off track since the topic actually concerns the mounting and wiring of the units. There is already a thread on detectors. I do appreciate the feedback.

Peter

Peter - as long as its legal - there's nothing inherently wrong with using a radar detector. It doesn't even mean you're speeding. A friend of mine keeps one (out of sight) just so he can be extra aware when police are around. He almost always drives the speed limit, and is a good driver. Unfortunately for him there are some places in the US where you can still get a DWB, despite being well educated, well spoken, and driving a nice, but not ostentatious car. Assuming a radar detector's only purpose is to dodge speeding tickets is just plain silly.

There's a comedian who says that everyone slower than you is an idiot, and everyone faster is a maniac. You admitted that you speed, 68 in a 60 on the highway. Give all the reasons you want for why thats okay, but 70 in a 60 isn't - they're all bologna. Fact is, people will generally drive at whatever speed they feel is safe. Many of the speed limits in the US were set during the oil crisis in the 70s; others are arbitrarily set by a municipality looking to use its police force to bring in additional revenue. If you're not driving dangerously, there's no reason to get pulled over. A radar detector just might alert you that the local constabulary is around, and to switch to "follow the rules" instead of "drive safely."

:biggthump:biggthump

The airport police at MSP will ticket you for going 2mph over the posted limit (30mph). I want to know when I'm under the microscope. I need to maintain a clean driving record as a condition of my employment, so any avoidance of tickets (even frivolous ones) is appreciated.

The preceeding 3 posts were moved here from another thread.

Peter

Back