Will they fit? Parts from other "ford" vehicles in my '03 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will they fit? Parts from other "ford" vehicles in my '03

Nuksky

Reaction score
City, State
Washington dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Good Morning Everybody,

Recently my local parts yard has finally become a u-pull it so the prices have dropped so I have started going to that one versus driving an hr to Baltimore and being mostly unsuccessful lol and its been good so far..I actually came across 2 lincoln Aviators and a 2006 explorer...I am trying to take my favorite parts out of other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury suvs and put them into my 03 explorer and make them fully functional and not look so random..my main issue is trying to see if they will fit and work...I have been reading threads trying to get an idea of how to do it but if anyone can help me or direct me to a how to I would appreciate it. I tried to add my pics but it says I cannot post attachments and does not have an icon for me to do so anywhere on my screen lol..I need help with that too

Project 1:
Which year(s) Lincoln Aviator front seats would work in my 03.. I have seen one person on here say he has them installed but I forgot where I saw the post.. I like the heat/cool function. I think the ones at the yard are 03 if im not mistaken but if not I want to know which will work and how to do it .I have mountaineer front seats I didnt try to figure out how to wire so I want to let them go anyways lol..

Project 2: I have been reading threads to see if I could remove my column shifter and instead make it a floor shifter. The 2006 explorer has it and I would like to install it in mine

Project 3: From the same 06 explorer would I be ableto swap dashboards, center console thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Morning Everybody, Recently my local parts yard has finally become a u-pull it so the prices have dropped so I have started going to that one versus driving an hr to Baltimore and being mostly unsuccessful lol and its been good so far..I actually came across 2 lincoln Aviators and a 2006 explorer...I am trying to take my favorite parts out of other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury suvs and put them into my 03 explorer and make them fully functional and not look so random..my main issue is trying to see if they will fit and work...I have been reading threads trying to get an idea of how to do it but if anyone can help me or direct me to a how to I would appreciate it. I tried to add my pics but it says I cannot post attachments and does not have an icon for me to do so anywhere on my screen lol..I need help with that too Project 1: Which year(s) Lincoln Aviator front seats would work in my 03.. I have seen one person on here say he has them installed but I forgot where I saw the post.. I like the heat/cool function. I think the ones at the yard are 03 if im not mistaken but if not I want to know which will work and how to do it .I have mountaineer front seats I didnt try to figure out how to wire so I want to let them go anyways lol.. Project 2: I have been reading threads to see if I could remove my column shifter and instead make it a floor shifter. The 2006 explorer has it and I would like to install it in mine Project 3: From the same 06 explorer would I be ableto swap dashboards, center console thanks in advance

Project 1: 02-05 seats should bolt right in. Take measurements to be sure. The biggest problem you'll have is wiring it all in, just like mounty seats. It's not just going to be plug and play.

Project 2: Give up on that idea. They are different transmissions and you'd need to do all kinds of custom fabrication to make it work, never mind all the work you'd have to do to the steering column. Honestly, the column shifter isn't so bad.

Project 3: Give up this idea too, and set fire to it while you're at it.... Not even close to the same as your 03 and would be a complete waste of time and money.

Real project ideas: If you have access to an 06 Explorer, swapping out the rear hatch, tail lights and side mirrors are very good places to start, and require very little and very basic modification.

If you've got a V8, there are ALL KINDS of aftermarket mustang parts you can swap into your engine to get more power.

Wow a little harsh there Brian...lol... You are right tho on the #3 it would be a huge undertaking. also alot of the newer stuff is can bus integrated and without changing the entire wiring system and computers it won't work. the column to floor shifter may have the same problem. there may be after market options for a floor shifter tho look around at B&M or Hurst... If the seats have air bags in them that will be another can of worms too but AC and heated seats would be a "cool" option...(pun intended)... Good luck all mods are cool even if you don't personally like them they are just a persons personal expression of their own taste... Like a painting...
Cheers...

Thanks for the responses guys lol I appreciate the honesty as good as some things may sound they are more work than it seems . As far as rewiring the seats could anyone tell me how or direct me to how to get it done ? Also if there are airbags what should i expect lol ?

Project 1: 02-05 seats should bolt right in. Take measurements to be sure. The biggest problem you'll have is wiring it all in, just like mounty seats. It's not just going to be plug and play.

Project 2: Give up on that idea. They are different transmissions and you'd need to do all kinds of custom fabrication to make it work, never mind all the work you'd have to do to the steering column. Honestly, the column shifter isn't so bad.

Project 3: Give up this idea too, and set fire to it while you're at it.... Not even close to the same as your 03 and would be a complete waste of time and money.

Real project ideas: If you have access to an 06 Explorer, swapping out the rear hatch, tail lights and side mirrors are very good places to start, and require very little and very basic modification.

If you've got a V8, there are ALL KINDS of aftermarket mustang parts you can swap into your engine to get more power.

Hey Brian, I have a 02 Limited V8, what engine projects would you recommend with mustang parts???

Hey Brian, I have a 02 Limited V8, what engine projects would you recommend with mustang parts???
Our 4.6 is basically the same engine as in the early 2000's Mustang GT. Heads, cams, intake plenum, throttle body.... They all just bolt right in.

I myself have stage 2 PI heads, 30lb injectors and an aluminum intake manifold from a 2001 Bullitt Mustang. And that's just a few of them....

14-2652D90BD918-63604-00004225E0E7C499_zps231b712b.jpg

You have TWO?! Aviators in your local yards? Color me jealous! I have found none local..:/

On the topic of Aviator seats, I don't think it would be impossible but definitely quite involved. One thing that comes to mind is the heat/cool switch location. Currently in an Aviator it is in the door panel. My next thought is if the seats are physically bigger than their explorer counterparts? I know the Aviator is physically bigger than an explorer, but am unsure if the seat dimensions have changed with the body changes.

Benjam :D

Thanks I appreciate all the help..I gave up on the floor shifter for now..until i can find the Australian version on Ebay or something..and the seats are on hiatus too, project 3 is scrapped too lol. [MENTION=168702]Benjam[/MENTION] yeah I am lucky..it is a truck yard and they are expensive to take the parts from, they told me 800 for a bumper cover! I see why it has been months since both trucks have been in the yard and pretty much are still in tact..people arent trying to pay the ridiculous prices..i k now im not.I ended up getting parts from ebay.

Back