Battery Life | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Life

Still on my original battery. I sometimes leave it in accessories mode and just blast my music. Despite this, the battery is still holding out strong. For those who have replaced the battery multiple times. Could it be a bad module that is preventing the battery from maintaining it's charge? I have an XLT which does not have constant drain like the touch door handles and stuff but a battery replacement shouldn't be needed until like 10 years later. My old 95 didn't need a battery change until I change it 13 years after as a safety precaution. Motorcraft batteries are pretty solid from my experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my Ex May 2011, have 24,000 miles on it with the original battery still going strong. I just changed the battery in my 05 F-150. It lasted 8 years. I expect the battery in my Ex to last at least 5 years.

My first one lasted < 2 months. Replaced under warranty. Obviously defective.

My 11' f150 lasted 15 months then a dead cell. My last 2001 f150 lasted 8 years before I traded it.

Mine was 27,000 miles after 26 months, and was replaced under warranty.

my wifes was about a year and a half old, around 25K miles, replaced under warranty.

Still on my original battery. I sometimes leave it in accessories mode and just blast my music. Despite this, the battery is still holding out strong. For those who have replaced the battery multiple times. Could it be a bad module that is preventing the battery from maintaining it's charge? I have an XLT which does not have constant drain like the touch door handles and stuff but a battery replacement shouldn't be needed until like 10 years later. My old 95 didn't need a battery change until I change it 13 years after as a safety precaution. Motorcraft batteries are pretty solid from my experience.

Our 2014 EX is just about 7 weeks old and hopefully the battery will last as long as the original battery in our 96 EX. It is 17 years old and still going strong. On top of that we are in Alaska and for between 12-20 weeks every winter it has been parked (unheated) and not started. Never once has it failed to start upon our return home. :eek:AMAZING to me, but true.

With all the electronics on the new one, I kind of doubt the battery life will be as long.

I can't say for sure as I bought mine used 6 months ago. I'll check the battery label next time I pop the hood.

Our 2014 EX is just about 7 weeks old and hopefully the battery will last as long as the original battery in our 96 EX. It is 17 years old and still going strong. On top of that we are in Alaska and for between 12-20 weeks every winter it has been parked (unheated) and not started. Never once has it failed to start upon our return home. :eek:AMAZING to me, but true.

With all the electronics on the new one, I kind of doubt the battery life will be as long.

I hope you bought the block heater!

Still going strong with the original battery at 33k miles.

Mine lasted about 6 months on my 2011 SHO. Replaced under warranty. New one still goimg strong

New Battery Put In

So, after just over 3 years young, I had the OEM Motorcraft battery replaced yesterday. It showed to be failing the load test, at my recent (November) oil change and at a recent visit to the dealership for scheduled 100,000 mile maintenance.

Even with 18 below zero weather this week, the truck always started (parked outside, too). I travel the whole midwest, and can't be caught in MN or northern Wisconsin with a dead battery.

So, I decided NOT to get another Motorcraft battery (only 650 c.c.a.) and opted for something with a little more kick. Had a new Sears Diehard Gold installed yesterday, size group #65 with 850 c.c.a. for $178.03 .

Cheap insurance and I sleep well.:)

Dealer just replaced our battery on the 2013 2.0L XLT under warrantee a couple weeks ago. MotorCraft Failed at 11,000 miles, would not hold a charge, dead cell type thing...Who makes the Sears battery ? I'm sure I'll be ready for another one by the time the warrantee runs out......best regards Plum

Amazing how a new battery brings life back to a vehicle. Engine runs better, brighter lights, better audio dynamics, etc. The Sears DieHard AGM's are hard to beat, especially when they're on sale. Bought a Platinum P-2 Group 65 (930 CCA) on 12/18/09 and it shows no signs of weakening after I've repeatedly taxed it. Only concern is Sears no longer shows the P-2 on their site, maybe a replacement model is planned.

mine died for the 4th time today... having it towed to the dealer...

never had this prob with batts in the past. anyone else had these kinda problems?

My battery died again today, Ill have to get a new one... this one lasted from May 5th 2012 till today, January 26th 2014.

Another question... does your explorer make an awefull ticking noise when you try to start it with a dead battery ? Mine sounds awefull, seems like something is making a short circuit somewhere, even when you remove the key, the ticking continues for about 10 seconds more...

My battery died again today, Ill have to get a new one... this one lasted from May 5th 2012 till today, January 26th 2014.

Another question... does your explorer make an awefull ticking noise when you try to start it with a dead battery ? Mine sounds awefull, seems like something is making a short circuit somewhere, even when you remove the key, the ticking continues for about 10 seconds more...
Since you haven't added the model to your profile, I'm guessing you have either the Base or XLT since you use a key. I'm assuming it is the XLT. For some reason these 5th gen Explorers seem to have many issues with the battery. Mine was replaced March 2013 and as of October I have to put the charger on it every 3 - 4 weeks. As I've posted before, I attribute that to not enough driving to allow the vehicle to fully charge the battery. They checked my system last October and could not find anything wrong. As for the 'clicking' sound I think that is normal but then I've never had the battery die completely with this Explorer. Did you by any chance try to turn on the headlights to see if they had full power? If they came on then perhaps you have a problem other than the battery.

Peter

Since you haven't added the model to your profile, I'm guessing you have either the Base or XLT since you use a key. I'm assuming it is the XLT. For some reason these 5th gen Explorers seem to have many issues with the battery. Mine was replaced March 2013 and as of October I have to put the charger on it every 3 - 4 weeks. As I've posted before, I attribute that to not enough driving to allow the vehicle to fully charge the battery. They checked my system last October and could not find anything wrong. As for the 'clicking' sound I think that is normal but then I've never had the battery die completely with this Explorer. Did you by any chance try to turn on the headlights to see if they had full power? If they came on then perhaps you have a problem other than the battery.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your prompt answer.
I have a base model 3.5 V6, and yes I tried with the electronics inside and everything was almost dead or dying, even the noise when you open the door with the key on the ignition was vey low. Since I had the EX parked behind the Jetta, I had to push her out of the way to free the Jetta, when I was pushing her with my wife at the wheel, she called me cause there was a message on the display "brake system failure" or something like that, I guess it was because there was no power in the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter for your prompt answer.
I have a base model 3.5 V6, and yes I tried with the electronics inside and everything was almost dead or dying, even the noise when you open the door with the key on the ignition was vey low. Since I had the EX parked behind the Jetta, I had to push her out of the way to free the Jetta, when I was pushing her with my wife at the wheel, she called me cause there was a message on the display "brake system failure" or something like that, I guess it was because there was no power in the car.
That sure looks like a dead battery alright. Did you by any chance check the battery connections? I wonder if one of them may have worked lose. If so, that could account for the noise you heard when attempting to start it. Good luck and I hope the next one lasts longer than the previous ones.

Peter

Back