Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

Did you try taking the vehicle for a driver first as stated in post 17 of that thread?
I just tried the procedure with the TPMS sensors that came with the vehicle on stock wheels. I don't have winter tires and wheels yet. So taking the vehicle for a drive will not set off anything as the current sensors are already programmed. I'll re-read the thread and follow the steps more closely as soon as my winter tires arrive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if you looked at old threads about TPMS, but a while back I posted that I did not program the sensors on my winter wheels and have never gotten the idiot light. Granted I bought the exact Ford part number valve stem already in the Explorer (from eBay, they were out of a F150). If I were you I would wait to spend $40 on the programmer, you might not even get the error message.

Not sure if you looked at old threads about TPMS, but a while back I posted that I did not program the sensors on my winter wheels and have never gotten the idiot light. Granted I bought the exact Ford part number valve stem already in the Explorer (from eBay, they were out of a F150). If I were you I would wait to spend $40 on the programmer, you might not even get the error message.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it without the programmer first.

I did not program the sensors for my winter tires that I had purchased (from Tire Rack) either. And like tucker_bmd, I have never had any error message or idiot light come on to indicate that they weren't programmed.

I did not program the sensors for my winter tires that I had purchased (from Tire Rack) either. And like tucker_bmd, I have never had any error message or idiot light come on to indicate that they weren't programmed.
Are you sure the sensors are actually working and communicating with the electronic control unit or whatever module is used?

Peter

some info from ford workshop manuals:

Battery Saver
NOTE: The battery saver time-out is 1 minute if the vehicle has less than 201 km (125 mi).
NOTE: The battery saver does not control the parking lamps if the headlamp switch is in the PARKING LAMPS ON position.

To save battery voltage, the BCM provides automatic shut-off of the interior and exterior lamps after a time-out period when the ignition is off. The BCM monitors the ignition state and input from the RKE system to determine when to energize or de-energize the battery saver relay and to shut the power off to the lamps. A timer in the BCM starts when:
  • the ignition changes to OFF,
  • any door or liftgate becomes ajar while the ignition is off,
  • an UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed while the ignition is off,
  • a valid keypad code is entered while the ignition is off,
  • or the courtesy lamp switch (integrated into the FLM ) is used to turn the courtesy lamps on while the ignition is off.
When 10 minutes have elapsed, the BCM automatically shuts off voltage to the lamps. The timer restarts (voltage is restored if the BCM is in battery saver mode) if:
  • the ignition transitions out of OFF,
  • any door or liftgate becomes ajar,
  • the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed,
  • a valid keypad code is entered,
  • the courtesy lamp switch is pressed.
ok, now to the tire sensor stuff:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation

General Procedure
  1. NOTE: The tire pressure sensors will go into a "sleep mode" when a vehicle is stationary to conserve battery power. The sensors do not transmit information while in sleep mode. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information.
    Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  1. Position the 204-363 against the LF tire sidewall at the tire valve stem.
  1. NOTE: The 204-363 should provide feedback in the form of a flashing green light and a beep sound for each successful response from a tire pressure sensor. This feedback may not always be present, do not rely on it as a confirmation that the module heard a particular sensor.
    NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the 204-363 move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again. If the sensor still does not respond, attempt to activate the same sensor again using the customer activation tool (if available). If the sensor still fails to train, attempt to train the sensor with the vehicle doors open.
    Press the test button on the 204-363 to activate the sensor. Activate the sensor at least 2 times.
  1. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the remaining tires.
  1. If the TPMS indicator remains illuminated after adjusting and activating each sensor, refer to the Symptom Chart: Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training — Intelligent Access (IA)

General Procedure
NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information. Refer to
NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3.28 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a TPMS .
NOTE: Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.
NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the 204-363 , attempt to activate the same sensor with the 204-363 . If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.
NOTE: The BCM has a 2-minute time limit between sensor responses. If the BCM does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.
NOTE: For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate. For vehicles with the same tire pressure for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system.

NOTE: Refer to Description and Operation, Intelligent Access (IA) with Push Button Start. Intelligent Access (IA) Key to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition in accessory, ignition on, ignition start, ignition off) on vehicles with this feature.
  1. Close all doors.
  2. With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.
  3. Using the start/stop switch, transition the ignition from OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position. (OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN to OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN to OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN).
  4. Press and release the brake pedal.
  5. Set the ignition to OFF.
  6. Using the start/stop switch, transition the ignition from OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position. (OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN to OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN to OFF to ACCESSORY to RUN).
    • The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
  7. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the 204-363 must remain in place at the valve stem.
    Place the 204-363 on the LF tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the 204-363. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM .
  8. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the 204-363 on the RF tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.
  9. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the BCM will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained.
    • When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
    • For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by setting the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is set to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.
  10. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the BCM and document them on the applicable warranty claim.
  11. This step is required to clearDTC B1182:55, cause the BCM to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed BCM .
    • If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new BCM , clear any DTCs and carry out the BCM On-Demand Self Test.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training — Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT)

General Procedure
NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information. Refer to.
NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3.28 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a TPMS .
NOTE: Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.
NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the 204-363 , attempt to activate the same sensor with the 204-363 . If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.
NOTE: The BCM has a 2-minute time limit between sensor responses. If the BCM does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate. For vehicles with the same tire pressure for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
  2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
  3. Press and release the brake pedal.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
    • The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
  6. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the 204-363 must remain in place at the valve stem.
    Place the 204-363 on the LF tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the 204-363. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM .
  7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the 204-363 on the RF tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.
  8. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the BCM will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained.
    • When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
    • For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.
  9. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the BCM and document them on the applicable warranty claim.
  10. This step is required to clear DTC B1182:55, cause the BCM to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed BCM .
    • If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new BCM , clear any DTCs and carry out the BCM On-Demand Self Test.

I think for a few bucks I'll just keep letting the dealer do this for me.;):thumbsup:

Peter

I think for a few bucks I'll just keep letting the dealer do this for me.;):thumbsup:

Peter

I agree whole heartedly !!! After reading through all this, I'll just take it somewhere and have it reset or just stick some tape over the indicator light and forget it.....Now if somebody figured out a way to clip a wire, fuse , etc. that would interest me more......best regards Plum

Now if somebody figured out a way to clip a wire, fuse , etc. that would interest me more......best regards Plum

with the way the newer ford stuff is all controlled via CANBUS, there is no wire or fuse to deactivate the system. And, according to government regulations, all vehicle since i believe 2008 must be equipped with a tpms - no law saying you cant disable it, but i would think it would be a good idea to keep the system working properly and maintain it as such. just my thoughts though. its real easy to program these sensors assuming you have the ford handheld transmitter...i can do them at my dealership in about 90 seconds (training all 4 wheels)

with the way the newer ford stuff is all controlled via CANBUS, there is no wire or fuse to deactivate the system. And, according to government regulations, all vehicle since i believe 2008 must be equipped with a tpms - no law saying you cant disable it, but i would think it would be a good idea to keep the system working properly and maintain it as such. just my thoughts though. its real easy to program these sensors assuming you have the ford handheld transmitter...i can do them at my dealership in about 90 seconds (training all 4 wheels)
From what I've read, those vehicle must have TPMS systems from the factory but there is no requirement to have TPMS installed in after market wheels. Just the OEM ones.

Peter

Are you sure the sensors are actually working and communicating with the electronic control unit or whatever module is used?

Peter

If they weren't....then I should be getting a warning light and/or pop message indicating that they aren't communicating......(unless the system is defective which I suppose is possible).

When I put the set of winter tires (without TPMS installed) on for my other vehicle (Mitsubishi Endeavor), the idiot light comes on and stays on all the time.....so I know for certain that that system is working.....

If they weren't....then I should be getting a warning light and/or pop message indicating that they aren't communicating......(unless the system is defective which I suppose is possible).

When I put the set of winter tires (without TPMS installed) on for my other vehicle (Mitsubishi Endeavor), the idiot light comes on and stays on all the time.....so I know for certain that that system is working.....
That is the way the Highlander worked as well. Steady alarm light. Not sure if the Ex works the same way. It just seems odd that no programming was required.
My Winters are going back on Oct. 30th. Just wondering how long this `bonus` weather is going to last.

Peter

Peter

Its actually pretty easy once you do it once and it takes all of 5 minutes max to do. I'm just debating getting the programmer tool for $40. Since some people say they never needed to program the sensors at all and that other thread mentioned waking up the sensors by just releasing tire pressure instead. In any event, I'll be programing them myself as its a really easy procedure. Much easier than changing a damn fuse in this thing...I still can't believe the fuse box placement in the Explorer, the engineering department gets an F for that one. I have never seen a vehicle where one needs to tools to remove a panel to get to a buried fuse box.

I think all of the listed procedures for pairing new sensors are old. My 2013 Explorer Limited auto-pairs the new sensors without any user intervention. I've swapped my winter and summer wheels back and forth twice now without having to do any pairing. The TPMS sensors on my winters are aftermarkets from Tire Rack.

For what it's worth, my 2012 Dodge Journey auto-pairs as well. It's looking elaborate re-pairing methods are becoming a thing of the past for a lot of cars.

I think all of the listed procedures for pairing new sensors are old. My 2013 Explorer Limited auto-pairs the new sensors without any user intervention. I've swapped my winter and summer wheels back and forth twice now without having to do any pairing. The TPMS sensors on my winters are aftermarkets from Tire Rack.

For what it's worth, my 2012 Dodge Journey auto-pairs as well. It's looking elaborate re-pairing methods are becoming a thing of the past for a lot of cars.
From what I'm reading is that the TPMS light is not ON but have you actually confirmed that the system works by lowering the PSI in one of the tires? From what I've been reading, I don't think anyone has actually verified that.

Peter

From what I'm reading is that the TPMS light is not ON but have you actually confirmed that the system works by lowering the PSI in one of the tires? From what I've been reading, I don't think anyone has actually verified that.

Peter

Yes, I tested that shortly after installing my winter wheels last year. After driving on them for a few days and not seeing the TPMS light come on, I let about 15psi of air out of one of the tires. After about 10 minutes of driving, the TPMS light came on. When I filled the tire back up, the TPMS light went out.

If you think about it, auto-pairing really isn't that difficult. If the car does not sense the 4 sensor IDs that it knows about, but it does sense 4 sensors on the right frequency with different IDs for a long enough period while driving, the car can assume that the sensor IDs have changed.

Yes, I tested that shortly after installing my winter wheels last year. After driving on them for a few days and not seeing the TPMS light come on, I let about 15psi of air out of one of the tires. After about 10 minutes of driving, the TPMS light came on. When I filled the tire back up, the TPMS light went out.

If you think about it, auto-pairing really isn't that difficult. If the car does not sense the 4 sensor IDs that it knows about, but it does sense 4 sensors on the right frequency with different IDs for a long enough period while driving, the car can assume that the sensor IDs have changed.
Thank you very much for that info. That is indeed good to know. :thumbsup:

Peter

Got my winter tires put on with new TPMS. I can confirm that programming is not necessary. I deflated my stock tires just to make sure I hot the Low pressure warning light. The light was on. I did nothing but drive the car with the new sensors and winter tires for about 30 kms and the light went out. There was no programing necessary. The Explorer learned the new sensors just by driving for 30+ Kms on the new sensors.

Are folks putting TPMS on there winter tires and rims? In Canada that adds $300 to the bill
I put them in and they cost me $226.40 + tax ($255.83) through the dealer in October 2011. It is up to you if you want to install them. The only thing that will happen if you don't is that the TPMS light on the dash will stay on and of course you won't be notified if a tire(s) is losing pressure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put TPMS on mine. I purchased a set of OEM sensors off eBay for about $70. They work fine.

I did the same and they work perfectly. They are a genuine Ford part number as well. Local Ford Dealer wanted $75 each... Riiight... Go fly a kite.... They also wanted $450 for roof rack cross bars and I picked them up from a US Ford Dealer on ebay for $160 shipped.

Back