Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work.

cbranning2012

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia, Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

I have a 98 Explorer EB w/ a MACH head unit. Everything works including CD player, sub woofer even the tape deck but, the display is out. If tried fixing it with the instructions from some threads on here but it doesn't work maybe I suck at soldering. But DORMAN has just come with an aftermarket power supply board. In the description it list radio part numbers that only apply to the premium head units and i was wondering if anyone has bought one for a MACH head unit or a Premium head unit to see if it lasts and is good quality. I've coped the URL from the DORMAN website.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-647...orer&parttype=Radio%20Display%20Power%20Board

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't know of anyone using the Dorman board, but for around the same price (maybe a bit less) you can get it repaired with a life time warranty ($45 plus 2-way shipping) here... email Mike at:

sayko4@aol.com

Awesome thanks for the advise. I went ahead and bought the Dorman 586-001 yesterday. So i guess i will be the guinea pig. I know there are places that will fix/repair my old board but I don't want it to break down again I figured a new upgraded board for 50 bucks is the best way to go. If this doesn't work maybe I'll contact Mike.

Awesome thanks for the advise. I went ahead and bought the Dorman 586-001 yesterday. So i guess i will be the guinea pig. I know there are places that will fix/repair my old board but I don't want it to break down again I figured a new upgraded board for 50 bucks is the best way to go. If this doesn't work maybe I'll contact Mike.

well, take some photos of the process and let us know how easy/difficult it is to change the board. i have a spare Mach that needs repair and i might consider trying the Dorman board if it works out.

i'm not sure if the dorman power board will work in my Mach. the details regarding this board all say "single CD" and i have the 6 CD changer.

well, take some photos of the process and let us know how easy/difficult it is to change the board. i have a spare Mach that needs repair and i might consider trying the Dorman board if it works out.

You got it replacing the board is pretty simple. Just removing it from the dash and taking of the face plate and two screws. pretty easy. I won't get the board until next week so it might be a couple days till i get to post anything but i will let you know.

Definitely interested in this... let us know how it goes. BTW - where did you order from?

the display is out.
Just curious... with the current quantum leap in this technology, (i.e. Pioneer AVH-P2400BT , and many other equivalent units in the $200-$300 range) I don't understand why anyone would spend a nickel on that antiquated technology.

pioneer p2400bt.jpg

Definitely interested in this... let us know how it goes. BTW - where did you order from?

I definitely let yall know how it goes. I got it from eBay that is the cheapest place. Just search "Dorman 586-001".

Just curious... with the current quantum leap in this technology, (i.e. Pioneer AVH-P2400BT , and many other equivalent units in the $200-$300 range) I don't understand why anyone would spend a nickel on that antiquated technology.

pioneer p2400bt.jpg

I just like it to be original and I don't have 200-300 to spend on a 98 Explorer.

pioneer p2400bt.jpg

i guess it depends on how "antiquated" you are. i own an $8 Tracfone that costs me $7 a month. it's never turned on and i haven't used it in months. the Mach radio with steering wheel mounted controls, factory sub woofer and CD anger is totally sufficient for me. :)

I just like it to be original and I don't have 200-300 to spend on a 98 Explorer.

$200-$300 That radio is over $700 with the Navigation Device. But I do like it.

$200-$300 That radio is over $700 with the Navigation Device. But I do like it.
You are right, the units with Navigation are very expensive but I would never spend the bucks for one and here is why... I have all the navigation I need with my iphone and I have found that the 'voice' facility is much more valuable than any display. Particularly since whenever 'instructions' are eminent, the music volume automatically goes way down and I can hear my instructions over the car speakers.

I have a factory unit out of a '99. AM/FM Cass/CD unit. Works fine. Sitting a shelf currently.

$40 plus shipping and it yours.

Here is my write-up on replacing the power supply board in my 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer. The Mach and Premium setup is the same except the premium will not have a sub out connection.

You will need:

The DIN removal tool which can be picked up at any local automotive store or can be fashioned out of clothe hangers.

A screwdriver (actually a small screwdriver will work good for removing the face plate)

A pair of needle nose pliers

And if your like me a couple of beers goes well with any project. (But not too many)

IMG_1604_zps4fe2365c.jpg

Pull the DIN tool removal towards the outside of your vehicle.
And slide your radio out.

IMG_1605_zpsf019c0b2.jpg

Disconnect the wiring harnesses and the antenna.
Then take your radio inside to a table or work bench.

IMG_1608_zps2989b8ae.jpg

IMG_1607_zps467aac9c.jpg

Remove the screws from both sides of the faceplate and the pry tabs to remove faceplate. but be gentle when removing the faceplate because there is a wire bundle connecting the face plate to the radio. which you will see in the next picture.

IMG_1609_zps6e2effa9.jpg

Disconnect wire bundle and set face plate aside.

IMG_1610_zps3858afe1.jpg

pry back top plate.

IMG_1611_zpse71ab1f2.jpg

IMG_1612_zpsd1e13fdf.jpg

This is the power supply board.

IMG_1613_zpsd6620361.jpg

IMG_1614_zpsd1eab0a2.jpg

Bend those tabs counterclockwise. In this last picture I already bent the tab. Its best to have needle nose pliers for this part.

IMG_1617_zpsdc924ba7.jpg

Remove screw

IMG_1619_zpsd893a71c.jpg

and pull the power supply board out. (Might have to give it a wiggle and if it still doesn't want to come out make sure that you have those tabs completely straight so the PSB can be pulled out.)

IMG_1620_zpsb47adc8c.jpg

IMG_1621_zpsa7d62496.jpg

IMG_1622_zpsd29172d7.jpg

This is the new board by DORMAN p/n 586-001

IMG_1624_zps34186ba5.jpg

The board on the left is the old board you can see how bad it looks because its brown. And iv'e seen worse ones.

IMG_1627_zpsbba9b71c.jpg

This is a top view of the old and new board with the old board being on the left. Looking through the hole you can see the resistors are different. Apparently this was one of the main problems with the PSB failing.

IMG_1628_zps525ec96b.jpg

Ok here you need to take the wire bundle from the old board and move it to the new board.

Ok after that just reverse the steps and your done.

Hook your radio back up and you should see some bright lights.

IMG_1632_zpsa82be235.jpg

It was awesome to see that 12:00 lit up.

IMG_1634_zpsc838fe31.jpg

Set my clock.

IMG_1637_zps5039a9e4.jpg

Got the RDS feature on and and gettin my "Led" out

P.S. I'm not trying to sell this product i have no affiliation with DORMAN. I was just pretty stoked that someone has finally made an aftermarket PSB for this radio. I will keep posting here to keep everyone up to date on the status of the display.

I have a factory unit out of a '99. AM/FM Cass/CD unit. Works fine. Sitting a shelf currently.

$40 plus shipping and it yours.

What kind of unit. Basic/Premium/ or Mach?

It should say on the bottom.

Great to see someone has came up with a cheap efficient DIY! Also nice job and thank you for the writeup with pictures. Very informative.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks, great job on the write-up and pics. hopefully the new board will continue to work. i saw that AutoZone shows it with a lifetime warranty, so perhaps it will last. this thread should be added to the STICKY's.

unfortunately, it doesn't appear this board will work for my MACH w/factory cd changer and sub woofer, but it will work for a lot of people. thanks again.

Back