• Register Today It's free!

Radio Is Powered Full Time.

vig1116

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 sport
So I'm sitting in my car with the kids while wife is in the dr's. Shut car off, left radio on. After ten minutes shuts off like its supposed to. 45 minutes later I'm playing with the radio power button and when I hit it, the radio and nav screen comes on and music playing... Is this normal?? Is there power to the radio 24/7? That can't be cause eventually the battery would fail, no? Or is it just cause it senses the FOB in my pocket and turns on cause of that? I did open and shut my door after the ten minute shutoff, just once.

EdIt: shuts off again after ten minutes, turns on again. And no, the ACC is NOT on. Just the screen has power not the instrument cluster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm sitting in my car with the kids while wife is in the dr's. Shut car off, left radio on. After ten minutes shuts off like its supposed to. 45 minutes later I'm playing with the radio power button and when I hit it, the radio and nav screen comes on and music playing... Is this normal?? Is there power to the radio 24/7? That can't be cause eventually the battery would fail, no? Or is it just cause it senses the FOB in my pocket and turns on cause of that? I did open and shut my door after the ten minute shutoff, just once.

EdIt: shuts off again after ten minutes, turns on again. And no, the ACC is NOT on. Just the screen has power not the instrument cluster.
I just tried mine and it did the same thing. Also tried it without the fob being in range and I could still turn the radio on.
Tried starting the Ex and the right and left screens came on with NO KEY DETECTED shown on the left sreen. Both L & R screens then turned off.

Peter

Peter

Yeah, they do that. We used to play with MFT on the cars on the dealer lots once we found that the radio would always turn on.

thats just odd..... now I'm thinking I'm gonna wake up one day with a homeless guy in my ex jamming to the rolling stones... lmao but does it have any impact on the battery life? (i mean obviously if the radio is left on its bad, but even just having the power on standby??)

thats just odd..... now I'm thinking I'm gonna wake up one day with a homeless guy in my ex jamming to the rolling stones... lmao but does it have any impact on the battery life? (i mean obviously if the radio is left on its bad, but even just having the power on standby??)
I doubt it would have any real negative effect on battery life. If you stop to think about it, with all the electronics on board, there are other items that are being fed power all the time. That is why when you disconnect/reconnect the battery, there are various things that the Ex has to relearn like transmission shift points, idle and trim settings. There is a section in the manual on resetting the idle and trim or you can let the Ex relearn those over time.

Peter

yeah, makes sense. It just caught me off guard when it happened i guess....

Could it be that you have a Limited and the key is a fob, which is read as active when you are in the car?

thats what i thought dco, but as peter stated, he tried it without the FOB in range and it still did it....

When we were shopping, every car we sat in, whether XLT or Limited, regardless of premium sound or MFT, we could turn on the stereo.

mine too

I saw the post, so i tried mine. I like it. I was pushing the start button every time my radio went off to listen to it. Now, when it goes off i just turn it on again. It will still go off after 10 minutes or so. I think this is a cool feature. I really like to be able to just touch the door and it all unlocks. This is the only vehicle i have seen that has it. The remote start is also cool. 95 degrees out, hit the remote start, by the time we walk from the mall door to get in its cooled off. My only problems have been the windshield noise, (black electrical tape) fixed it and the rain noise. I'll live with it. I'm not letting any FORD tech try to fix it and make it worse.

:exp:

Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. :)

This is what we call Audio Extended Play. It's a feature that enables the audio system to remain on after the ignition is off and any door has been opened. When the power button on the radio is pressed, the audio system functionality is restored. To turn it off, simply press the power button again.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rebecca

My 2005 Passat also has this feature. I can turn on the radio without the keys just by pushing the power button.

Hello Everyone! My first time posting here. Just bought a 2014 Explorer, and notice that when I get in the vehicle the Radio can be turned on and played without a key in the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix?

Hello Everyone! My first time posting here. Just bought a 2014 Explorer, and notice that when I get in the vehicle the Radio can be turned on and played without a key in the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix?
Welcome to the Forum Tim Stone.:wavey:
As Rebecca has already pointed out, this is normal. The radio can be powered ON/OFF whether the ignition is ON or OFF. If it is left on after you turn off the ignition I believe it will shutoff after 20 minutes.

NOTE: It would also be helpful in answering concerns/questions if you added the Explorer model to your profile so that it shows in the left margin where your name is. Some issue may be model specific.

Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Tim's post says when he gets IN the vehicle the radio works before he put the key in the ignition... that's normal? Of course like most cars the radio and windows still have power for awhile after you turn the engine off (until you open a door) but it works when you first get in too??

Tim's post says when he gets IN the vehicle the radio works before he put the key in the ignition... that's normal? Of course like most cars the radio and windows still have power for awhile after you turn the engine off (until you open a door) but it works when you first get in too??
Yes that is normal. The radio can be turned on at any time. The ignition does not control the power to the radio.

Peter

I find that feature convenient because I like to play my audio without having the car on. It works especially well when waiting for someone at the parking lot.

I find that feature convenient because I like to play my audio without having the car on. It works especially well when waiting for someone at the parking lot.
That's exactly how I found out that radio shuts off after 20 minutes. :D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Just found it odd that I went out in the morning, without ever starting the vehicle and the radio came on.

Back