New to the explorer.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the explorer..

EndFed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.6 4X4 Explorer
Hi everyone. I've performed a couple searches already over the last week and seem to always find my answers here on this forum, I've read enough to allow me to buy an explorer for my winter vehicle. Thank you!

I have a really stupid question, I'll probably find it in my owners manual before there's a response. I can't figure out how to turn on my fog lamps.
Maybe they're both burned out?..

Also, I bought this (truck) with a trans that has 10k miles on the rebuilt trans & rear.

Should I flush it & add mercon 5? I'm purchasing the aluminum trans pan w the dip stick to add capacity & an external cooler. I'd like to know any preventive maintenance I should be performing any and everywhere on the vehicle ..

Anyone figure out a fix for these unserviceable junk wheel bearings?

Rear gear?

And I'm having trouble finding a rear cargo cover for my non 3rd seat here. Are those available anywhere?

Thank you for any help, hopefully in time I can contribute.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fog lamps seem to be most important. More so than proper transmission fluid level.

Where are you coming from???

imp

The middle of Iowa.

Talking about capacity not level.

& have not figured out the fogs. Searches have not yielded anything. Cannot find a switch either.

I believe you pull out on the switch to turn them on. That's what I've read anyway.

Some where on this site is a link to download the owner's manual for your vehicle.

turn headlights on then pull out on same switch, if they dont come on then check ur fuse, every time mine went out it was the fuse.

Leave the tranny alone. If there is 10k on new tranny i wouldnt touch it, trannys in these explorers have issues. Alot of people have problems after servicing tranny. These tranny's do not like to be flushed.

Wheel bearings suck when u just buy the bearings they are a ***** to do because of the parking brake mount, its hard to line up to press the bearing out. On mine took 18tons of pressure to get one of them out. Alot of shops when i asked them when i told them it was an 02 explorer they said no thanks or wanted to charge me an arm and a leg.

Hook & fedy - thank you!

I tried pulling it out, but must've been in the off position. What a silly design for turning on fogs, would like them on automatically with dims or parking lamps on.

..about the trans, I can't imagine it wouldn't help to at least add a cooler & some capacity to keep the 2nd & OD bands cooler. They burn up, outside of the selenoids this seems to be what kills these transmissions ..

Thank you !

id get a scanguage, ud be surprised at the trans temp when driving, theres a gauge on their you can add that will tell you your trans temp. This gives you the option to see the temp and pull over and let cool down before serious damage is done.

It taps into the computer? Thank you fedy, I'll have to research it.

From ford, or aftermarket - anyone know more about attaining one?

You could build one yourself using a small ohmmeter to read the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor resistance, then calibrating a dial to show corresponding approx. fluid temperature. That's probably how the aftermarket item works, you pay someone else to do all the thinking, they get richer. imp

its called scangauge 2 it plugs into the obd2 port. It tells you a ton of info, mpg, air intake temp, rpm, battery voltage, and about 20 more. And one of the best parts is that it reads CEL lights and clears them on most cars.(except audi,bmw,mercedes)

[MENTION=126284]imp[/MENTION] that would be too much work when you can just buy the scangauge and end up with alot more info. Unfortunately yes someone else is getting rich but you get what you pay for, i dont mind spending a little money on a good product that is going to pay for itself over and over again.

Ford is one of the few that renders tranny temp through the scangauge. I have a dakota now and the tranny doesnt have a sensor for the temp so I would have to do what you stated above.

My favorite part about the gauge is knowing everything that is going on with my truck. I monitor alot of different stats, and when something doesnt match up I can usually pinpoint the problem based on certain gauges. And if there is a check engine light on I can figure out the code within 10secs. Couldn't tell you how much it helped with the explorer.

Fyi-I am not a scangauge salesman, just an enthusiast....

There's an app that can make your smart phone do the same thing. Less expensive, too. Do a search here for "Torque app" and it should come up.

its called scangauge 2 it plugs into the obd2 port. It tells you a ton of info, mpg, air intake temp, rpm, battery voltage, and about 20 more. And one of the best parts is that it reads CEL lights and clears them on most cars.(except audi,bmw,mercedes)

[MENTION=126284]imp[/MENTION] that would be too much work when you can just buy the scangauge and end up with alot more info. Unfortunately yes someone else is getting rich but you get what you pay for, i dont mind spending a little money on a good product that is going to pay for itself over and over again.

Ford is one of the few that renders tranny temp through the scangauge. I have a dakota now and the tranny doesnt have a sensor for the temp so I would have to do what you stated above.

My favorite part about the gauge is knowing everything that is going on with my truck. I monitor alot of different stats, and when something doesnt match up I can usually pinpoint the problem based on certain gauges. And if there is a check engine light on I can figure out the code within 10secs. Couldn't tell you how much it helped with the explorer.

Thank you! It sounds like the perfect investment.

I believe torque is only for android but could be mistaken

There's an app that can make your smart phone do the same thing. Less expensive, too. Do a search here for "Torque app" and it should come up.

Hmm.. I'll have to look @ this also, prob just go w the scanguage but will see how the app is. Thanks!

*Registered Smart Ass in all 57 states

Don't forget about the Atlantic gulf of mehico. Ha

I believe torque is only for android but could be mistaken

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted that up.

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

Should answer most questions. I THINK they're coming out with new that will run on other phones but not certain.

You'll need an adapter to plug into the diagnostic port below the steering wheel. Easily available on ebay but be careful which one you buy since some of the cheap ones have had trouble.

The scan gauge tool is good too but I wasn't too crazy about the display.

Thanks much for this info! First I heard of it, sounds good. imp

Back