Radio Signal Cuts Out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Signal Cuts Out

As much as it pains me to say we now need bug fixes rolled out to cars.. I assume that is part of it...

Yesterday a friend with MFT had the BSOD - blue screen of death.. could not do anything... no heat, no controls, no tunes etc..

Had to go to the dealer for a full mind wipe and re-install

It will become more common as we add more tech to cars..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As much as it pains me to say we now need bug fixes rolled out to cars.. I assume that is part of it...

Yesterday a friend with MFT had the BSOD - blue screen of death.. could not do anything... no heat, no controls, no tunes etc..

Had to go to the dealer for a full mind wipe and re-install

It will become more common as we add more tech to cars..
I don't suppose he tried the helpful hint listed in the 'Sticky' section first;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382163

Peter

Sirius radio will cut out for a split second, usually when going under a bridge or driving under an area of dense trees.

I have the same effect in my other (non-Ford) car with Sirius. I would chalk this up as expected, since once can assume it needs a clear path to at least one satellite.

I wouldn't expect this behavior with other radio bands (FM, AM)

Sirius radio will cut out for a split second, usually when going under a bridge or driving under an area of dense trees.

I have the same effect in my other (non-Ford) car with Sirius. I would chalk this up as expected, since once can assume it needs a clear path to at least one satellite.

I wouldn't expect this behavior with other radio bands (FM, AM)
That's to OPS problem. It cuts out on the open road on all bands.

Peter

That's to OPS problem. It cuts out on the open road on all bands.

Peter

Sorry; I should have read the thread more closely. (I hate when people do that with my posts ...).

In this case, no, that is not behavior I've seen with radio, and I've seen a lot of weird things with the MFT.

I suppose I would try rebooting the MFT to see if that might clear it up, but this is only a shot in the dark. If that has already been done, or gets tried and doesn't clear it up, then a trip to the dealer is in order. Hopefully, the problem is reproducible enough that Ford service sees it when the car is there. I hardly ever have luck with my dealership when experiencing the "intermittent" problem.

My radio is the same ..... I've given up!

Every so often I get dead air on the radio, seems like it's tuned but NOTHING - comes back on it's own - hasn't happened a lot as I don't listen to the FM radio much, but has happened. Don't use Sirius (terrible terrible embarrassing sound quality) so I can't comment on that.

No luck... No change after update...
I'm not surprised. Are able to play music using a USB drive? If so, then try that and see. If it still cuts out, then you have an issue with the radio and eliminated a possible antenna, and lead in wire as the cause.

Peter

I'm not surprised. Are able to play music using a USB drive? If so, then try that and see. If it still cuts out, then you have an issue with the radio and eliminated a possible antenna, and lead in wire as the cause.

Peter

We've all become backyard mechanics, trying to isolate the cause of many of our issues. Ford is of no help. :mad:

The exact same thing happened to my radio. It only happened once on October 5th - oddly the same day I had the Ford dealership replace the fuel delivery module (probably just coincidence.) It has not happened since then. It was rhythmic – meaning it came on and cut off in cycles – on for about 30 seconds, off for about 15 seconds – all on open road. Next day, and since then, it has worked fine… Until your post I had not seen anyone else indicate a similar problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!:scratch:

Did mft update yesterday... Will see if problem persists... I'll let you know...

When you say did it update yesterday - are you talking about the "Scheduled Maint it sometimes performs.. as I know it the only way to truly update is via USB?

Is that correct and what others have seen?

The Sirius reception is terrible for me in metro Atlanta. It will cut out for 10 minutes or more on wide open interstate highway (285).

Have not taken it to dealer because it works where the dealer is, so you know how that conversation will go.

Does the same thing for me... I always think a phone call is coming in but it's just the radio going out for a second or two. Not sure if its related or just something as time has gone on, but it seems like the colder it is outside the more frequently it happens.

Hey,
Tried doing a search and wasn't able to find anything useful... Looking for any suggestions...

While driving my radio cuts in and out intermittently... This happens on both Sirius as well as FM and occurs in any number of locations including open road... It is not isolated to being under structures or trees...

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Ethan

Try a battery terminal disconnect for 15 minutes.

It clears almost everything, unfortunately the memory of the transmission too but its worth a try.

Update... went on a couple of 10-12 hour road trips and problem did not occur... Also used bluetooth music via iphone 5 and no problems... leads me to believe it is reception issue in/around Charlotte metro area...

Thanks for all suggestions

Factory Sirius antenna sucks?

Just curious if I'm alone here. I've been an XM user literally since before launch in August of 2001, being one of the first 50 customers from Texas. I have never had an issue with reception, between the old Terk antennas, the micro single wire antennas, to the factory offerings from Audi and Honda. Now that I've reupped my subscription, I'm noticing that this thing cuts out a LOT with buildings and overpasses, even just being near large interchanges too. I never noticed the cutout so bad on any other vehicle before, nor do I remember the compression on most channels sounding like my head was in a fish bowl. Anyone else have experience with SAT radio before the explorer and share my observations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get great reception in my 14. Sirius radio never cuts out unless I'm under a bridge or in a garage.

Back