How to Change Rear Differential Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

dogfish246

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger V6 4x4
Hey Guys,

Here is my newest "How To" video, How to Change Rear Differential Fluid. This is definitely some good preventative maintenance at about 100K miles. I will be making a shorter version that goes over the basics. This is the in-depth one. The idea is after watching this video, anyone can do this job.

Let me know what you think and if you can, "Thumbs up" the video on youtube. It helps me out!

Thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmqMUJb-E4M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Great video and we hope to see more..:biggthump

..I know you will be asked by some what to do if the tag on the diff is no longer there?..The diff info can be found on the sticker on the door jam as in "Axle Code" but can be translated here on the Forum..

..I didn't see your location under your name..Where are you located?

Thanks for the video. I bought my Ranger new and changed the diff fluid at 60,000 miles and the fluid was filthy, so if I had to do it over again I would initially change the fluid at 20,000 miles and then at 50,000 mile intervals after that.

If I were to do it over again I also think that when I changed the diff fluid for the first time I would have drilled and tapped the diff cover for a drain plug in order to save having to pull the cover for future fluid changes.

I don't think the cover is thick enough to drill & tap and get a reliable seal with a drain plug. Although, you can buy a cover that has this feature.

I don't think the cover is thick enough to drill & tap and get a reliable seal with a drain plug. Although, you can buy a cover that has this feature.
The cover should be plenty thick enough to hold something small like an 1/8" or 1/4" machine or sheet metal screw with an O-ring for a seal, or the threads could be sealed with a bit of silicone.

That might work but it would take a long time to drain. Then again, probably as quick as removing and reinstalling the cover as well as less messy.

The nice thing about having a cover with a larger drain plug is; some come with a magnet and others can have a magnet inserted in it. This is a good way to keep the wear metal out of the gear lube to get less wear on the parts. This can be cleaned when draining the gear lube.

..Great video and we hope to see more..:biggthump

..I know you will be asked by some what to do if the tag on the diff is no longer there?..The diff info can be found on the sticker on the door jam as in "Axle Code" but can be translated here on the Forum..

..I didn't see your location under your name..Where are you located?

Thanks for the tip! I will def let people know when they ask that in the comments. I am in the NJ/NY area.

Thanks for the video. I bought my Ranger new and changed the diff fluid at 60,000 miles and the fluid was filthy, so if I had to do it over again I would initially change the fluid at 20,000 miles and then at 50,000 mile intervals after that.

If I were to do it over again I also think that when I changed the diff fluid for the first time I would have drilled and tapped the diff cover for a drain plug in order to save having to pull the cover for future fluid changes.

Yea I guess it depends. I dont plan on changing this for another 100k miles. No need to unless something goes wrong. It is a good idea if you plan on changing the fluid frequently!

..Be sure to add your location under your name as it helps you in so many ways around here..;)

..Also, post up all your Ranger How to videos here and I'll make sure they get seen..:biggthump

That might work but it would take a long time to drain. Then again, probably as quick as removing and reinstalling the cover as well as less messy.

The nice thing about having a cover with a larger drain plug is; some come with a magnet and others can have a magnet inserted in it. This is a good way to keep the wear metal out of the gear lube to get less wear on the parts. This can be cleaned when draining the gear lube.

Yea, It would probably work but when you are offroad and a rock hits it, it might break a lot easier and then you are in the woods with no rear diff fluid lol. I gues it all depends on your application. The fill plug has a magnet on my truck and that can be taken off and cleaned without any loss of fluids.

..Be sure to add your location under your name as it helps you in so many ways around here..;)

..Also, post up all your Ranger How to videos here and I'll make sure they get seen..:biggthump

Ok will do and AWESOME! I have a lot so I will post one every few days!

The differentials are vented, so if you were to take a drive and warm up the fluid, even if the drain hole were small it probably wouldn't take more than a minute or two to drain the fluid out.

Back