• Register Today It's free!

Locking Fuel Cap Part Number

scotch4ever

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I drive a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0 VS Gas and have had a heck of a time finding a locking fuel cap. Every time I do any kind of search with Motorcraft or an auto parts re-seller of Motorcraft they give me the part code :XU5Z-9030-HC. It does not fit as that part does not have any grooves like a screw just a plug with 3 equally spaced ridges running the length of the gas cap stem.

Any thoughts? Has my fuel receiver been modified?

Many thanks for the reply. It is just weird that the fuel cap design for the Ford explorer will not fit my vehicle. There must have been a modification made by a prior owner.

Many thanks for the reply. It is just weird that the fuel cap design for the Ford explorer will not fit my vehicle. There must have been a modification made by a prior owner.

I'm fairly certain I bought my locking gas cap at Advance Auto Parts for my 2005 Explorer XLT, if I remember right. I bought it approx. 3 years ago and have had no problems with it. I'll double check tomorrow and take a pic of it as well if need be (let me know), but I think it was made by "Stant". They should have a chart at Advance to check what year/vehicles the locking gas caps fit to.

Back