To "2014" or NOT to "2014.. from 2013".. That is the Question? Help? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To "2014" or NOT to "2014.. from 2013".. That is the Question? Help?

You have already felt the pain of owning an Ex ....... Your willing to jump right in again with a 2014?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have already felt the pain of owning an Ex ....... Your willing to jump right in again with a 2014?

Excellent point indeed! Yes, I was quite disappointed with the resale values but my initial goal was to keep this one and drive it into the ground. To be honest, if it had the ecoboost V-6, I probably would have kept it but I was squeamish with the standard V-6 and didn't want to get trapped in it.

I think that I will skip a 2014 for now but wait to see what 2015 will bring to be honest. Given that I live in the midwest, I will have to see how "tolerant" things are with the Volt and winter driving. Reviews indicate that it does very well in snow, so time will tell.

Hopefully by 2015, the Explorer will have some overhauling done that makes it more appealing. =)

My dealer tells me that the 2015 or 2016 wont be a redesign but some cosmetic upgrade like new headlights etc... I trust him because he is always in meetings with ford being that he is one of the big big dealership on this side of town...!

Congrats on the Volt... They are truly cool cars. Keep us updated on how it does for you.

My dealer tells me that the 2015 or 2016 wont be a redesign but some cosmetic upgrade like new headlights etc... I trust him because he is always in meetings with ford being that he is one of the big big dealership on this side of town...!
It has been said here that it will likely not be a 'redesign' but a 'refresh'. I'll take either one since a 2015 will likely be my next one depending upon what Ford does to it. Then again, no one will really know until they actually build it.

Peter

Congrats on the Volt... They are truly cool cars. Keep us updated on how it does for you.

Thanks! So far so good.. I already have 300 miles on "midnight" and it's only used 3 gallons of gas! This truly amazes me. I'm learning a lot to say the least. The car forces you to become more efficient on your driving habits by displaying certain fun animations that make you want to drive more efficiently.

She's off now getting clear bra'd but I should have her back today. Also, last but not least.. I received my NAIAS e-mail today! For those who don't know, that's the North American International Auto Show held yearly in Detroit, MI. I will be going on preview night for sure (2nd week of January). Keeping my fingers crossed that they will have some updates to discuss on the 2015 Ford Explorer!!

Thanks Everyone! :D

PS: While I do like the Volt in terms of efficiency, I do miss having an SUV to sit up higher. So midnight will have a SUV counterpart again soon.

Thanks! So far so good.. I already have 300 miles on "midnight" and it's only used 3 gallons of gas! This truly amazes me. I'm learning a lot to say the least. The car forces you to become more efficient on your driving habits by displaying certain fun animations that make you want to drive more efficiently.

She's off now getting clear bra'd but I should have her back today. Also, last but not least.. I received my NAIAS e-mail today! For those who don't know, that's the North American International Auto Show held yearly in Detroit, MI. I will be going on preview night for sure (2nd week of January). Keeping my fingers crossed that they will have some updates to discuss on the 2015 Ford Explorer!!

PS: While I do like the Volt in terms of efficiency, I do miss having an SUV to sit up higher. So midnight will have a SUV counterpart again soon.

If you can, take camera to the auto show and see if the knobs have returned yet to MFT in any new Ex's they may display.

Get The Explorer Sport!

If you get a 2014, get the Explorer Sport. It has extra horsepower and is much more fun to drive. There are a few features not available to it and only available in the XLT, like the parking assist and power third row seats (you have manual controls), but with the 401A package it is still very cush. I test drove several SUV's and if you're looking for a luxury interior and long-term reliability, the Acura MDX seems like a better choice over the Explorer XLT. However, if you like a little spunk and some versatility, I think the Sport is definitely the way to go. I'm a stay at home mom and thought for sure I would probably pick the Acura MDX, but once I drove both back to back, the Exp Sport definitely won me over. Also, like you said, you get more for your money. Good Luck!:)

If you get a 2014, get the Explorer Sport. It has extra horsepower and is much more fun to drive. There are a few features not available to it and only available in the XLT, like the parking assist and power third row seats (you have manual controls), but with the 401A package it is still very cush. I test drove several SUV's and if you're looking for a luxury interior and long-term reliability, the Acura MDX seems like a better choice over the Explorer XLT. However, if you like a little spunk and some versatility, I think the Sport is definitely the way to go. I'm a stay at home mom and thought for sure I would probably pick the Acura MDX, but once I drove both back to back, the Exp Sport definitely won me over. Also, like you said, you get more for your money. Good Luck!:)

Thanks for the advice. If Ford puts the Eco-Boost V-6 in the limited model then I will jump on board right away. Heck, even if they came out with a Platinum edition that had some additional upscale features, I would do it ASAP!

Also you betcha I will keep everyone updated on the Explorer line when I attend the Detroit Auto Show in January. Tickets are on sale now and I've already purchased them!!

Thanks for the advice. If Ford puts the Eco-Boost V-6 in the limited model then I will jump on board right away. Heck, even if they came out with a Platinum edition that had some additional upscale features, I would do it ASAP!

Also you betcha I will keep everyone updated on the Explorer line when I attend the Detroit Auto Show in January. Tickets are on sale now and I've already purchased them!!
From the rumours I've heard is that the V6 Eco-boost engine will not be available in the 2015 Limited. However, there was some talk that it may get the Lincoln 3.7L engine. The V6 Eco-boost is what separates the Sport from the rest of the models and the available HID (standard in Canada) and a few other features like park assist is what separates the Limited from the others.

Peter

The Detroit Auto Show will have the new 2015 Mustang there, its their big reveal.

Back