• Register Today It's free!

Eco Boost vs V6 for towing

Pilot

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT AWD
Does the 2014 Sport with the Ecoboost tow better than the XLT with the V6? I have trouble getting out of fourth gear on the highway with my XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the 2014 Sport with the Ecoboost tow better than the XLT with the V6? I have trouble getting out of fourth gear on the highway with my XLT.

How about 350 ft lbs torq at 2000 rpm vs. 255 ft lbs at 4000 rpm?...enough said

What are you towing and how much does it weigh?

28" travel trailer which weighs 5,100 dry. I know it's too heavy but I had the truck on order when I bought the trailer plus I don't like the look of the Expedition so I didn't want to cancel the Explorer. On the highway I have been cruising at 60mph and getting 7.5mpg.

Well you answered your own question.

Why do you knowingly post that the trailer you are towing is over the limit and then question the performance of the vehicle?

You are exceeding the towing capacity of the vehicle. It is not just about power but you are exceeding what the structure is capable of towing. If you cause an accident or damage your vehicle due to towing more than the limit you place yourself in a very bad position when it comes to liability.

Buy something bigger. You could buy an old beater truck for towing the trailer... But unless this is like a once a year thing. You shouldn't be towing that much

I'm not questioning the performance just curious if the Sport tows better.

I do not mean to sound condescending or selfrighteous but...

While it does have more HP and TQ, that does not raise the tow rating due to the limitations of the vehicle structure. Remember that the Explorer is a UNIBODY it no longer has a stand alone frame. one wrong move with the 5100 lb+ trailer will most probably rip the back of your Explorer off thereby totaling and since it was over the limit you will be left holding the bag as 1. your warranty is thereby void and 2. your insurance will not pay out for damages due to you knowingly towing something over the stated tow rating thereby causing your own damage.

do you have the tow package?
if so, turn it off when driving highway. Ive noticed when I have tow mode on when cruising my rpm is slightly higher, of course this is what tow mode does.
When off, it shifts then to the highest gear and my rpm is low. I only use tow mode when I know i'll be going through traffic or the city.

Like others have mentioned, your gross weight is a little high though

I do not mean to sound condescending or selfrighteous but...

While it does have more HP and TQ, that does not raise the tow rating due to the limitations of the vehicle structure. Remember that the Explorer is a UNIBODY it no longer has a stand alone frame. one wrong move with the 5100 lb+ trailer will most probably rip the back of your Explorer off thereby totaling and since it was over the limit you will be left holding the bag as 1. your warranty is thereby void and 2. your insurance will not pay out for damages due to you knowingly towing something over the stated tow rating thereby causing your own damage.

Spoken like a true Army Vet on Veteran's Day

I think all tow ratings are usually rated several hundred pounds below what the vehicle is actually capable of to account for the people who do tend to push things a little...

I think all tow ratings are usually rated several hundred pounds below what the vehicle is actually capable of to account for the people who do tend to push things a little...

That doesn't make it legal. Tow over the rating, no insurance, illegal and potentially criminal.

If he/she is towing 5,100 dry, you add a full tank of gas, family members, bedding, dishes, clothing and food etc and you are well over 6,000. Tow ratings only cover the driver and a tank of gas. Everything else in the vehicle has to be subtracted from the 5,000lbs.

That doesn't make it legal. Tow over the rating, no insurance, illegal and potentially criminal.
Unless you are a lawyer and know the law in all states, I'll take that as your opinion.

Is it smart? No. Definitely beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

Would I do it on a short haul, infrequent basis, maybe. Definitely not often or over long distances.

Unless you are a lawyer and know the law in all states, I'll take that as your opinion.

Is it smart? No. Definitely beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

Would I do it on a short haul, infrequent basis, maybe. Definitely not often or over long distances.

If you are towing over the rating and have a failure, Ford will not cover it which is a fact (granted they have to find out)

If you are towing over your vehicle rating (label on door jam) not necessarily the 5,000 number it is in violation of DOT law. The manufacturer doesn't set the law but the sticker on the door is law. You can read TONS of info on this on the RV forums.

If you get into an accident and you are over the weight and your insurance company verifies it, they will not cover it. I've talked to 2 different insurance companies to confirm.

I've also had experience with this with the fleet of landscaping trucks and trailers as well as my Rv dealer. You can buy any TT or 5th wheel you want but they will not allow you to leave with it off their lot if you are over the limit. They will deliver it to your house for you and you are on your own but they will not take responsibility or a chance of a lawsuit by allowing you to go overweight off their property.

Take it as an opinion if you want...

not to divert attention from the overweight issue... :)

But I recently towed a 7x12 open trailer with 3 dirt bikes, a polaris RZR, and gear and got a consistent 16MPG on the highway with my 13 Sport. My brother with a 2011 F250 diesel pulled the exact same load and got 11.5 MPG. Both vehicles felt good while towing.

The Ecoboost is a great motor for towing IMO. I wish the rating was higher though. I want an enclosed 7x14 TA trailer and they are rated at 7000 GWV, I would like to be able to load it up and go but can't. Oh well. My next vehicle will have to be able to pull it. Loving my Sport for now though.

The explorer sport engine is capably of towing way more than its 5k rating. The problem is its unibody construction that's mainly the limiting factor. Towing a little over the limit for any vehicle is I'm sure common place, but with this set up you'll be way over the limit. With passengers and gear your probably pushing 1500 lbs or more over. This is a good load for a f150 not an explorer. I personally wouldn't tow this much with mine.

That's some surprisingly good mileage. With my F250 diesel, I get about 12-13 towing a 10x101 enclosed trailer with 2 snowmobiles in it, that's going 70-75mph. I'd expect the 3.5NA motor that I have to get worse mileage then what you got being the almost 100 less torque it has.

The explorer sport engine is capably of towing way more than its 5k rating. The problem is its unibody construction that's mainly the limiting factor. Towing a little over the limit for any vehicle is I'm sure common place, but with this set up you'll be way over the limit. With passengers and gear your probably pushing 1500 lbs or more over. This is a good load for a f150 not an explorer. I personally wouldn't tow this much with mine.

I bet if it was still a BOF chassis, you'd be looking at a 7,000+ tow rating.. Completely agree that it is the unibody holding it back which concerns me more about people towing above the rating compared to it being an engine limitation.

To answer your question and sorry to be blunt:

Pulling a 28' trailer with a dry weight of 5100lbs - thus towing at least 6000lbs in a vehicle rated for 5000lbs; the ecoboost will still suck.

If you are asking I assume you're looking into it as an option in trading up. My recommendation would be to use the money that you would pay being upside down on the trade and buy a truck to pull the camper.

I can't believe the front wheels on the explorer even touch the ground!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheels off the ground, the tranny on the ground!?

Back