• Register Today It's free!

MFS or multi-function switch

Sirdrofmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
I have searched for days to find this answer and not much luck.

What is the actual parts name for the multi-function switch? When i go to parts stores or junk yards no one knows what the hell i am talking about nor are they helpful in looking for me when i state exactly what the switch is.....i get the old "well if you dont have the name or part number cant help"

what BS!

is there a technical name for this switch?

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every electrical diagram I've seen calls it a "Multi-Function Switch."

Just tell them you want a turn signal switch.

any parts guy that doesn't know what a multi-function switch is, doesn't know what the hell he's doing. this is not exclusively a Ford term. if you're going to one of the discount auto parts stores, that's your problem. most of the counter people they hire don't know anything about cars/trucks, but that's what you get for minimum wage.

I wouldn't get it at a junkyard anyway...this part fails often, and it's only $45 for a new one at Rockauto. I replaced mine about 5-6 years ago, and it's smoking again so I just replaced it a second time.

Thanks

You ALL are correct :)

What i ended up doing is looking closer at the MFS switch and noticed two wires coming out which is causing my issues.....took switch plug out and repaired it, taped it and now i have FULL BRAKE lights again :salute::chug:

What my issue is/was that when i TILTED my steering wheel downward i had no brake lights at all! put it in full up position and i would have brake lights BUT only top and passenger.....this fix i did corrected all those issues!

THANKS ALL WHO REPLIED

DOug

Glad you got it fixed... Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

I purchased mine new from an Ebay store for a couple bucks less than I saw in the major parts stores and it's worked great for the last 2 years since it went in.

So i started getting new issues and lots of clicking going on so decided to repair the issue...now i can not find the exact fit for parts store. Ford with my vin# claims its the SW5577 but even that part is missing two prongs..I have 9 prongs on the weird shaped part by the top where hazards are...i can not seem to locate a switch that matches....anyone got a link to compatibility for parts in junk yard?

Why not just pull the part and go to a local autozone or advanced? Both stores normally stock the dimmer switch (that's how its listed on their systems) for the 2nd and 3rd gen's. Take parts out of the box and compare them with your old one to ensure you have correct connections.

Advance sells the BWD brand (I think relabeled standard motor), part number S3220. Buy online and use code TRT30 to save 30%, out the door for around $50.

It's listed as a windshield wiper switch.

Why not just pull the part and go to a local autozone or advanced? Both stores normally stock the dimmer switch (that's how its listed on their systems) for the 2nd and 3rd gen's. Take parts out of the box and compare them with your old one to ensure you have correct connections.

NOT a very good option for me as its my only vehicle and this also controls my brake lights; parts stores are several miles away. I did however took detailed photos so i can compare parts in hand. Problem with this is most of them are NOT in stock to compare and pictures are horrible! its a shame the dealer has no clue what is in my truck even with my VIN number :mad:

Doug

Advance sells the BWD brand (I think relabeled standard motor), part number S3220. Buy online and use code TRT30 to save 30%, out the door for around $50.

I will have to check that out later! WHAT I DID FIND which is very weird to me is that i was googling pictures of turn signal switches and found one that looked like mine.....turns out autozone PT# SW1093 is an exact match to the one i have.....NOW dealer says SW5577 & so does autozone......funny enough I look at the parts very close by picture and SW1093 matches to mine but the site says NO WAY DONT FIT lol guess ill have to get it and try it...what can go wrong right?

Doug

i'll be damned that is it also! thank you so much....the price is only 10.00 difference from what i paid so going to go get it tonight!

Doug

I've got 2 sitting around for a 98+ Explorer. One is actually out of a 2002 Sport.
Won't work on my 97 cause they switched the pins around..
Both are good condition and working. Message me if you want them.

Double post fail..

I would just pull the part in the parking lot at the store. Not like its terribly difficult or time consuming. Save you a lot of headaches to verify it is correct while you are at the store.

Sounds simple enough to pull the part in a part store BUT that is only good if the store is heavily stocked on different switches!

UPDATE: 11/19/2013

I bought the part that looked like mine.....looked identical to the one i have in every way.....plugged her in and walla signals working...check.....dimmer check....hazards check......wipers.....FAIL they did not turn on and washer fluid didnt work.....tried a couple times and got it to turn on but then wont turn off!
ARGH i suppose the part could be faulty right?? that would be my luck. Poster above gave a part number for advanced auto so I guess that will be my next move :eek:

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mistake, I just realized that I posted the switch number for a 96 Explorer, which is different than your 2002.

It's listed as a "headlight dimmer switch", BWD part # S3301, $59.99 before coupon.

Back