shark fin | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shark fin

Guys just to let you know the shark fins are not specific to the Explorer. I bought a white platinum shark fin from my buddy that had it on his Fusion and was trading it in. He took it off and gave it to me. I took delivery of my Explorer Monday night and it was installed Tuesday morning. I'm fortunate to have very strong radio signals so have had no issues with it so far.

IMG_7747-M.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E-Mail sent Today

Will see where this one goes. Last one did not get a response so will try again.

sales@visualgarage.com

HH

HH,I tried 2 emails the last week in October, no response. Maybe they were off for Halloween? Keep us posted on your results, especially if you do receive your fin.

tinner

I ordered one via email a couple of weeks ago and already received it. Now I'm waiting for my Explorer to be built.

HH,I tried 2 emails the last week in October, no response. Maybe they were off for Halloween? Keep us posted on your results, especially if you do receive your fin.

tinner

Received 2 e-mails today. One was to tell me that the white antenna was available and a second was a PayPal invoice.

Visual Garage Inc. sent you an invoice for $87.00 USD.

Note from Visual Garage Inc.

Hi Bill, Here is the invoice for the Mark II VG Shark Fin Antenna for 2013 Ford Explorer - White Platinum Pearl Tricoat / M7204A (UG) - F. Regards, Visual Garage Inc.

Payment was made this morning so we'll see how long it takes to get here.

HH

There's something fishy going on with Visual Garage. I suspect they will be selling off what inventory they have and then close the doors. 40 days past "new website will be launched on July 1st" is a red flag. Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I want one for my Explorer too.

I want one too, but 4+ months now upgrading a website makes me a bit suspicious.

I ordered via email and they sent a paypal invoice within 2 hrs. They say 2 week lead time for the color match. I'll post pics once it arrives.

Payment was made this morning so we'll see how long it takes to get here.

HH
USPS tracking says it was delivered today. Will have to see what's in the mailbox when I get home.

HH

USPS tracking says it was delivered today. Will have to see what's in the mailbox when I get home.

HH
Looks like all the other photos. Instructions said to apply when temperature is 70 degrees or use a hairdryer to warm up the metal roof. Too cold out to do it now so will wait until it warms up a bit.

HH

Looks like all the other photos. Instructions said to apply when temperature is 70 degrees or use a hairdryer to warm up the metal roof. Too cold out to do it now so will wait until it warms up a bit.

HH
That would be July. :D

Peter

Replacing Roof Mount Antenna

I have a problem that maybe someone on here can answer because the Ford salesmen seem to be elusive and uninformed about it and their parts department has not been particularly helpful either.

I am looking at a 2014 Ford Explorer, but due to the size of my garage door opening (Garage is on 1st floor of a split-level house) the roof mounted antenna sticks up too high to use my garage. I could get in okay perhaps, but because the antenna is angled backwards it will definitely catch and be snapped off backing out. I honestly don't know why ford put a roof mast antenna on a car with roof rails, as putting a sheet of plywood up there one the way home from the hardware store would damage the antenna.

I have seen other manufacturers sport utilities that use a low profile shark fin antenna on the roof. This would allow the vehicle to fit in my garage. I have a couple questions.

1. Is the roof antenna for AM/FM and XM/Sirius reception?

2. Can the mast be unscrewed and replaced with a plug and if so does it cause any reception problems for XM/Sirius or AM/FM and how much (Just slightly shorter range or nearly unusable)?

3. Does replacing the factory antenna create an out for ford on any corrosion or leak issue near it on the roof, or to try and evade any problems with the factory sound system or electrical system?

4. Can anyone recommend a shark fin replacement antenna for this model.

5. Has anyone had any success getting the dealer to warranty installing said antenna for the duration of the factory warranty if the dealer does the work?

I like the new Explorer, but I'm not going to spend $40,000+ for a Limited and not be able to garage it. Part of the reason I have a 1997 in great shape is because it is kept garaged when I am not driving it.

I appreciate anyone's input.

re antenna

I have a problem that maybe someone on here can answer because the Ford salesmen seem to be elusive and uninformed about it and their parts department has not been particularly helpful either.

I am looking at a 2014 Ford Explorer, but due to the size of my garage door opening (Garage is on 1st floor of a split-level house) the roof mounted antenna sticks up too high to use my garage. I could get in okay perhaps, but because the antenna is angled backwards it will definitely catch and be snapped off backing out. I honestly don't know why ford put a roof mast antenna on a car with roof rails, as putting a sheet of plywood up there one the way home from the hardware store would damage the antenna.

I have seen other manufacturers sport utilities that use a low profile shark fin antenna on the roof. This would allow the vehicle to fit in my garage. I have a couple questions.

2. Can the mast be unscrewed and replaced with a plug and if so does it cause any reception problems for XM/Sirius or AM/FM and how much (Just slightly shorter range or nearly unusable)?

3. Does replacing the factory antenna create an out for ford on any corrosion or leak issue near it on the roof, or to try and evade any problems with the factory sound system or electrical system?

5. Has anyone had any success getting the dealer to warranty installing said antenna for the duration of the factory warranty if the dealer does the work?

I like the new Explorer, but I'm not going to spend $40,000+ for a Limited and not be able to garage it. Part of the reason I have a 1997 in great shape is because it is kept garaged when I am not driving it.

On this site you can buy a shark antenna .It screws into same outlet I find it great except on AM it does not have same range as orig otherwise its great It can be painted in your car colour
MAYBE PETER CAN FIND THE LINK TO BUY

Send an email to sales@visualgarage.com and tell them what vehicle you have, year, and color. They will send you an invoice and you'll get the shark fin antenna in a couple of weeks. You just unscrew the mast, screw in the shark fin cable, and attach the shark fin with the included tape. There are no roof penetrations or anything like that to worry about from a warranty standpoint.

You can search here for Visual Garage for more info. Their website hasn't worked for 6 months but they did respond quickly to email.

As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread/post with this existing one on the 'Shark Fin'. There are posts here about ordering as well. If you are interested in the installation process, check out this link in the 'Sticky' section; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397592&highlight=shark+fin

BTW, welcome to the Forum :wavey:.

Peter

I can confirm recently the method of emailing them works just fine, even though you get an auto-response saying otherwise. I received mine last week, all good. Took about 3 weeks from initial order to product received, i am outside of toronto and they are in Vancouver.

Thanks to everyone for the information. Is the factory roof antenna tied to Sirius/XM reception as well? If so does the antenna from Visual Garage receive that signal?

If anyone gets ripped by these guys let me know because they are in my area just outside Vancouver in a suburb called Richmond.

I will be your "Better Service required" ambassador if need be.

I have had their shark fin antenna on 4 different vehicles (Murano, Rogue, Cadillac SRX, and Ford C-Max), all with Sirius/XM, and have never noticed any difference in reception vs. standard antenna.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also went thru the email and they responded in the same day with an email and a PayPal invoice. Upto now reponse has been GREAT.

Waiting for it to arrive.

Back