The everything Aviator thread. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

Guys I need some help, when I turn my ignition key on I start hearing a flapping noise constantly on the rear panel by the trunk on the drivers side, any ideas what this could be and how to fix it? anybody has this problem before? Please any input will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is a picture when the engine was out I took advantage to clean the bay
IMG_0066_zpsdd8efd8b.jpg

Found an 04 Aviator but haven't seen it yet. It has 161k miles, but based on photos and coversation with the owner, it is exceptionally clean. Looks to be immaculate body and interior, and everything functions. Has Nav (I could care less) and the rear DVD.

His asking price is 7900 which I think is pretty high. I believe he's in a situation where he MUST sell soon, like in the next couple weeks. I'm thinking I should try to get it cheap, like under 6k. With that many miles, and original tranny and engine, big repairs are in store in the next couple years.

Like to know what others think...

Can you guys tell me what that hose connected to the front carrier is for? Thanks ... Mark in KC

Can you guys tell me what that hose connected to the front carrier is for? Thanks ... Mark in KC

That would be the vent tube

Just bought an 05 Aviator with Nav. It still has the original ver 1 maps in it. Almost useless. Looks like they stopped making updates for the maps in 2010 so the nav will soon be obsolete. Anyone had any luck with 3rd party software for it? Does it exist? Can I load maps from other vehicles in it that are more current? I hate to spend 200 bucks for 2010 maps that are already obsolete.

Guys nice to see you keep this thread alive, I wonder if anybody upgrade the interior lights with LED? Any one knows what the led ref bulb will be? Also I want to change the outside one like the license plate and courtesy lamp on the door mirrors. Thanks in advance for the help!

On the wifes 2004 Aviator, we noticed when you start the SUV and reverse down our driveway, you get a cabin full of exhaust fumes. I discovered that the rear liftgate seal doesn't make full contact at the bottom of the liftgate. Due to the strange contour of the liftgate, it just flat out doesn't seal against the weather strip. This is only along the bottom and up a couple inches on each side.

I suspected it wasn't sealing well, so I instaled a 1 inch wide foam weather strip all the way around the liftgate. It is really soft and pliable and works great for old refrigerators (you can get it at Menards/Lowes). I inspected the impression left in the strip and you see clear impressions all the way around except for the bottom. There is a faint impression from the weather strip.

Oh, and no more exhaust smell. SO long story short, if you guys just put a strip along the bottom that would probably fix it.

And here I thought it was the rear AC system picking it up.

When the wife gets back from Montana, I will check into this

Just in case anyone wants to know, the brake controller plug is above the gas pedal.

I just made this thread a sticky. Just a heads up so you don't think it disappeared ;)

I saw a lifted Aviator here in AZ last week. Wish I could have stopped to talk to the guy, but he was heading the other way during rush hour :(

Guys Yesterday I started having problem with my driver side window, when I went to bring it up it went crazy it was going a bit up stop then start going down finally I got it up, any body had this issue before? It looks like electrical problem from the switch I guess please help any ideas?

I've had the rear driver side window go down, and not up. I slammed the door, and then it started working. When the motors go bad, they can get sticky. Usually tapping on the motor itself with a small hammer (or screwdriver or whatever) frees it up. IN this case, just slamming the door.

When they get really iradic, or if things sound broken in there, you can rest assured it is the regulator system which is a bunch of cheesy plastic pulleys and cables. Not too bad to replace, but it is usually best to replace the motor and regulator together since "hecho en mexico" motor splines might not mate up with "made in china" regulators, etc....

Usually Autozone or OReilly, etc... have lifetime guarantees on the regulator and motors - since they are cheap and bound to break again. :)

Has anyone had to deal with an engine tick yet that is not oil related? I have a 2004 Aviator that sounds like a bearing on a pulley going but I have been able to trace to the engine itself. To do so I removed the belt and checked each pulley for a loose one and found nothing. I started the engine without the belt in place and the tick remained there. Removed the valve covers and inspected the camshafts and rockers and found nothing out of the ordinary. I did, however, find that the top of the valve cover on the passenger side was clogged with old oil. I cleaned that and replaced all the gaskets and the tick remains. With the exception of pulling the heads off and inspecting the valves themselves, is there anything else to check?

No engine tick here. I did have to replace all 4 idlers at 50K miles because they were making a noise like a bad power steering pump. Too bad I replaced them after first replacing the power steering pump :(

I hope it's not an overheating related issue since one of the rear cylinders gets inadequate cooling. This is usually only a problem for people who drive hard though.

Maybe it is an ingition sound? Like a plug/coil arcing?

No over heating...No bad smells from the exhaust....Engine runs smooth, no sputtering...No loss in power....Confused and exhausted.....

I've heard of the crankshaft barely clipping the dipstick in some fords and causing a tick. But aside from getting lucky on a freak occurance like that, then I would suspect something in the timing assembly - possibly a worn tensioner making noise. Although it really could be anything - and I sympathize with how frustrating it is to chase down. Be sure to report in if you find anything.

Since my head blown and I did my repair in the spring I have not problems or ticking on mine working like a charm so far, knocking on wood, plus I ended up with a spare motor with a crank shaft +10 forged since I found a pair of heads after I bouth the whole Mach I 2003 engine which I haven't put it together still deciding if I sale it as it is or if I rebuild it with new performance piston, if anyone needs a spare engine let me know. Hope you find the ticking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying To repair The Drive Train

Greetings. I have been working on an 2004 Aviator AWD for the past year for a friend.
They bought it with mis-matched tires and continued to drive it till it started grinding and buckling and making all those bad noises you could expect it make.
The front differential I replaced with another and the popping sounds decreased a lot but still popping and banging in turns.I then replaced the front drive shaft next due to a lot of play and damaged boot leaking grease.Still banging.
I then checked the transfer case and found VERY burnt fluid ,so that told me that the clutch in the Transfer case is probably locked up and therefore needs to go too.
The only thing I could do for them is take out the front drive shaft and see how that went. All the popping and banging coming from the front stopped and he has been driving it like that all year.
Now the transmission seems to be slightly slipping and might need to be replaced also.
I am probably going to pull out of a donor vehicle just not sure what to look for to match up other than AWD. Any advice you all could give would be helpful... Thanks .Mark in KC

Back