Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

My Sport with the OEM 18" XLT wheels.
Michelin Latitude X-Ice. 255/65/18.
I went with the 255/65 because it close in size to the 20" OEM and resulted in a 3% over increase in circumference. The next closest size down giving a 1.7% circumference increase was a 245/65 but I didn't want the tire to be narrower reducing the handling.
Actually a narrower tire is better in snow. I have the 245/65R17 that I use in place of the 255/50R20 and don't notice any difference in the vehicle handling/stability. They do give a slightly better ride though because of the higher sidewall.
Good looking wheels you have there.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Sport with the OEM 18" XLT wheels.
Michelin Latitude X-Ice. 255/65/18.
I went with the 255/65 because it close in size to the 20" OEM and resulted in a 3% over increase in circumference. The next closest size down giving a 1.7% circumference increase was a 245/65 but I didn't want the tire to be narrower reducing the handling.
For Michelin the 18" tires were about $70ea less expensive than if I had went with 20's plus 20" dealer wheels, or other wheels would have been more expensive as well.
The 18's give a much softer ride being a taller tire.
Michelin Latitudes have a slightly reduced rating on snow compared to others but the rating excels on ice, fuel economy and quietness of ride.
I've always used the X-ice on all mine and my wifes vehicles and they've been great.

IMG_1409_zps1500460a.jpg

Had seen that the 18" wheels clear on a friend's black Explorer, they look good, a much better option than the ghetto steelies.

I went with the Moda 18" with Blizzak DM-V1s, which have no equal in the snow.

Finally put them on this weekend, figuring it is going to snow here sooner or later...rather than just the sprinkling we have received so far.

file_zpsc7387b94.jpg

file_zps8d2e805c.jpg

file_zpsf49990cc.jpg

file_zps35dee8cb.jpg

^^^
Summer Setup OEM wheels on 265/50/20 BFG KDWs

file_zps8c3ba132.jpg

^^^
Winter 18" Setup with 265/60/18

file_zpsdf76faaf.jpg

Had seen that the 18" wheels clear on a friend's black Explorer, they look good, a much better option than the ghetto steelies.

I went with the Moda 18" with Blizzak DM-V1s, which have no equal in the snow.

Finally put them on this weekend, figuring it is going to snow here sooner or later...rather than just the sprinkling we have received so far.

Those wheels look great, very close looking to the actual "Sport" wheels.
I agree, would never put trashy steel wheels on a "Sport".

One thing to keep in mind though, and the reason why I always use dealer wheels (even though they are much more expensive) is that in winter time there is a higher chance of accidentally sliding into a curb or something. If a wheel is bent and damaged you will always be able to get a replacement wheel for decades. With aftermarket wheels it may be harder to locate a single replacement one 4, 8, 12 years down the road and if you can't find one you may require a whole new set.

One concern I have, whether real or imagined, is the exposure of the brakes and their parts to the salt, sand and general grime on roads in the Winter. With most of these after market wheels, the brakes are wide open to all these elements. If you look at post #5 , the brakes (rotors, pads) and other associated parts are hardly visible and thus more protected.
Like I mentioned, I don't know if this is or should be a concern.:dunno:

Peter

I use the 17" steel wheels from the Base model Explorer along with 245/65R17 Winter tires to replace my 20" wheels and have had no problems at all.
Be advised that if you want to use the base model wheel covers, you will need to buy new wheel nuts since the ones used for the OEM wheels will not hold the covers on. They will however hold the wheel on without the covers. The wheel cover itself does not snap on but is held in place by the wheel nuts which have a washer type flange build in to hold the cover on. See picture below.

Peter

Hey Peter,

I've read this entire thread and you seem to be on the 'up and up' with wheels for the explorer. I have a 2013 Limited and I'm wondering if you've read anything to indicate that they have changed the brake size?

I would also like to get 17" steel wheels for winter but when I called the dealer to see if there were any 17" wheels in stock for the 2013 base model, they said they wouldn't fit on the Limited. I asked why and they just said the computer doesn't show that option...

Another question is, did you get TPMS on the winters? Dealer wants $200 for a set of 4...ouch!

Anyway, your knowledge is appreciated. I may just go with 18" just to be safe but if I can save a couple hundred bucks, that would be great.

Thanks
X

Hey Peter,

I've read this entire thread and you seem to be on the 'up and up' with wheels for the explorer. I have a 2013 Limited and I'm wondering if you've read anything to indicate that they have changed the brake size?

I would also like to get 17" steel wheels for winter but when I called the dealer to see if there were any 17" wheels in stock for the 2013 base model, they said they wouldn't fit on the Limited. I asked why and they just said the computer doesn't show that option...

Another question is, did you get TPMS on the winters? Dealer wants $200 for a set of 4...ouch!

Anyway, your knowledge is appreciated. I may just go with 18" just to be safe but if I can save a couple hundred bucks, that would be great.

Thanks
X
Most of what information I've gained is from this Forum. To my knowledge, the only vehicle with increased brake size is the Sport. All other models appear to share the same brake system/size. One member recently posted that the dealer installed the 17" wheel on her Sport without any issues. I have the 17" on my Limited for Winter. post #50 shows a 17" on an XLT.
I don't see any reason why the Limited would have a different brake setup.
One way to be sure, if no one else here chimes in, is to have the dealer try a 17" wheel first, if they have one in stock. An 18" may be a better way to go if perhaps you are looking at using them on another Explorer down the road.

I did go with the TPMS and the 4 of them cost me $226.40. Some members have bought them through Ebay or other Internet site. There are two frequencies used on the Explorer and the VIN is used to determine which one you have. See post #130 . Using TPMS in after market tires is not mandatory.
Good luck.

Peter

Finding the best winter tire package for less $$

I had already looked at Tirerack but don't see any 20" x8.5" steel wheels.

And yes I forgot about the damn sensors

What tire & wheel package did you end up buying??? I have the exact same problem with my tires not having any traction in snow/icy conditions....

Thanks!
Please email me at Dman0624@gmail.com if you have any worthwhile information on this topic.

We got dumped on! The ex is great in the snow, very planted and the AWD is seemless.
No need for snow mode as the tires are so grippy that I could use any mode and have lots of traction.

I mentioned removing the lower air dam and was told it wouldnt be needed lol, well it would have been nice not to have it on today. Snow was fresh enough that it didnt get hurt.

Wife was pulling up just as I went out to shovel, I gave her the thumbs up and watched her plow through grille high heavy snow. She was a little hesitant but she got through in one try.

B4FC25F2-1B84-40CE-ABFE-65BB38E9AC02_zpsa8bw6yvz.jpg

That was after shoveling a path for her and the kid to walk to the house.

We got dumped on! The ex is great in the snow, very planted and the AWD is seemless.
No need for snow mode as the tires are so grippy that I could use any mode and have lots of traction.

I mentioned removing the lower air dam and was told it wouldnt be needed lol, well it would have been nice not to have it on today. Snow was fresh enough that it didnt get hurt.

Wife was pulling up just as I went out to shovel, I gave her the thumbs up and watched her plow through grille high heavy snow. She was a little hesitant but she got through in one try.

B4FC25F2-1B84-40CE-ABFE-65BB38E9AC02_zpsa8bw6yvz.jpg

That was after shoveling a path for her and the kid to walk to the house.

Wow, not sure where you are in Ontario, but we are in Toronto and have had no snow to speak of yet, you guys can keep all of that! LOL

lol Owen sound. It was alot. I was excited to "play in the snow" but now that I have done that , I want it gone.

lol Owen sound. It was alot. I was excited to "play in the snow" but now that I have done that , I want it gone.
That's what it looks like in the Ottawa area this morning. Received around 20 - 25 cm last night and it hasn't quite stopped yet. I've driven through a few banks that the plow left across side streets and the front air deflector did fine. Helps to have those Winter tires too. The only issue with that deep snow is that if it freezes around the wheel spokes it can make your ride a bit uneven since it will throw the wheel balance off. I make it a habit of cleaning the wheels before parking in the garage.

Peter

I just put Pirelli Snow/Ice on my 2013 sport with 18" wheels from Tirerack - the car was an animal in the 10 inches we just received, especially in snow mode. It does make a difference. The sport tires should be really called 3 seasons as they sucked in a dust of snow. Very confident in driving now.

Only concern is the air dam as it sits so low, I am worried that it is going to get ripped off! Any one remove theirs for the winter?

I just put Pirelli Snow/Ice on my 2013 sport with 18" wheels from Tirerack - the car was an animal in the 10 inches we just received, especially in snow mode. It does make a difference. The sport tires should be really called 3 seasons as they sucked in a dust of snow. Very confident in driving now.

Only concern is the air dam as it sits so low, I am worried that it is going to get ripped off! Any one remove theirs for the winter?

Which winter Pirelli did you choose?

I got these: 245/60R-18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

Any "all season" tire is a joke and unsafe in a REAL WINTER.

Welcome to the Forum garyhx.:wavey:
As I mentioned before, I have the Base model 17" steelies on my Limited for Winter. Perhaps the 18" ones might better since they will fit the Sport with the larger brakes should you ever decide on one of those. Of course by then they will likely have made more changes so we may have to start all over again. :)
Good luck.

Peter

I got a good deal on base 17" steel rims and Michelin Xice2 P245/65R17 for my 2013 LTD from my (Skaha) Ford dealer. I just noticed though the Navigation system is having issues. It mis-positions the SUV off road suddenly and then gradually comes back to the real position then does it again. (there is similar post in the F150 forum).

I don't use my Nav system that often so I don't know if this is associated with changing my tires or not. My dealer suspects it is.

I've some knowledge of GPS from a technical standpoint (I'm and E. Engineer). I find is surprising that this is totally explained by tire size. I am wondering if it is a reception problem associated with the antenna or GPS receiver, or some other GPS issue, and the system is unduly relying on dead reckoning. So I'm curious:

Do you have this problem? Did your dealer adjust some setting in the SUV computer for tire size?

Gary

I got a good deal on base 17" steel rims and Michelin Xice2 P245/65R17 for my 2013 LTD from my (Skaha) Ford dealer. I just noticed though the Navigation system is having issues. It mis-positions the SUV off road suddenly and then gradually comes back to the real position then does it again. (there is similar post in the F150 forum).

I don't use my Nav system that often so I don't know if this is associated with changing my tires or not. My dealer suspects it is.

I've some knowledge of GPS from a technical standpoint (I'm and E. Engineer). I find is surprising that this is totally explained by tire size. I am wondering if it is a reception problem associated with the antenna or GPS receiver, or some other GPS issue, and the system is unduly relying on dead reckoning. So I'm curious:

Do you have this problem? Did your dealer adjust some setting in the SUV computer for tire size?

Gary

Check out pages toward the end of this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377496

The system uses input from the vehicle as well as the satellites. Changing tire size affects the Nav system on some but not all of the vehicles. Everyone who has reported the problem here has a 2013. I had the problem. Adjusting the tire size in the computer did not fix it. The solution was to disconnect the battery, and the system then recalibrated. I disconnected it for an hour, but I don't know how long is necessary.

In theory, the system may automatically recalibrate after 200 miles. Mine did not fix itself after more than 4000 miles last winter. You can also pull the fuse to the GPS, but it is a lot easier to get at the battery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gary
Hey Gary. No the dealer didn't adjust anything and I haven't had any issues that I've noticed although I don't use the nav that much. This is the 3rd season I've used the 17" wheels.
As WiEx posted, there is a thread on this issue in the 'IVT' forum for whic he has provided the link.

Peter

Back