Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Need a performance Brake system that can stop the beast after tune with Livernois !!

Hi there

i get the Livernois Motorsports Tune device and install the HBoost on my explorer Sport 2013 , the performance is more than great but i cant stop the car because the brake system cant handle this much of power after driving around 30 km ! i feel the brakes pads with the brake rotor getting hot and cant stop the car :/

any suggested brake system to do ? the whole system or just a part ? ( rotor , pad , or caliper ?

wich brand i should go for ( brembo , ebc , hawk , ... etc ) ?

please help me :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there

i get the Livernois Motorsports Tune device and install the HBoost on my explorer Sport 2013 , the performance is more than great but i cant stop the car because the brake system cant handle this much of power after driving around 30 km ! i feel the brakes pads with the brake rotor getting hot and cant stop the car :/

any suggested brake system to do ? the whole system or just a part ? ( rotor , pad , or caliper ?

wich brand i should go for ( brembo , ebc , hawk , ... etc ) ?

please help me :/
Welcome to the Forum al3jeel.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread on the same topic.
Good luck.

Peter

We hope by days end today to have a front and rear kit available on the site. Thank you for following up!

-Benny

Yes I was going to announce that we have uploaded the front thus far

As of right now we can only verify firment on 13-14 models as anything produced before Feb 2012 uses a different setup.

We are working with a few members on hopefully having a complete write up of the installation in which we will add to the product details.

If anyone has any questions or comments about the kit please let me know

Thanks,
Benny

..saw an Ex police car close up this past weekend, the brakes are just awesome. They look like they belong on a military vehicle.

That thread involves wilwood aftermarket brakes possibly fitting the Explorer Sport. We do not really have any input on that. We are offering the Sport/Interceptor brake kit for base and limited owners to upgrade.

-Benny

That is a freaking deal for uprated brakes. For reference in the Mustang world it is over $500 for new 99-04 Cobra 13" front brakes with crappy rotors and pads.

Ya I was looking at how cheap those kits were.......excellent deal especially if its time to do a brake job on your base/XLT/Limited Explorer.

OK, I think I'm following, but after reading the whole thread Im unsure so just checking. This upgrade is just for base model or Limited model Explores because it upgrades you to the Sport package brakes? If the Sport owners want and upgrade, it's aftermarket only still right? What about the Police package mentioned a few times here? Avail as a kit, any plan to? My brakes faded severly from a 90MPH downhill stop the other night and scared the wheee right outta me:mad:

OK, I think I'm following, but after reading the whole thread Im unsure so just checking. This upgrade is just for base model or Limited model Explores because it upgrades you to the Sport package brakes? If the Sport owners want and upgrade, it's aftermarket only still right? What about the Police package mentioned a few times here? Avail as a kit, any plan to? My brakes faded severly from a 90MPH downhill stop the other night and scared the wheee right outta me:mad:

Yes, this is for factory Sport brakes. The police brakes are the same as the Sport.

I hear ya. They just don't make vehicles like they used to. I heard a bit of wind noise going into wind at 200 mph the other day.:eek:

Peter

There wasn't anything on the Akebono website about the Interceptor brakes.

The information below is from the fordparts website. It took some digging because all the information for any particular part was not available on a single page.

I *think* the parts listed below are what would be required to upgrade the brakes to what are on the Interceptors. The pieces that have the same part number under Standard and Police Version/SHO (EG. the caliper brackets) are listed multiple times because there was a difference in price.

The pricing seems counter intuitive. Why would the bigger/better parts for the Interceptor cost less than smaller stock parts?

Anyway, for anyone interested, here are the part numbers along with some of the dimensions.

At some point in the near future I'll probably end up buying the parts for one wheel to see whether they'll fit.

2013 Explorer

Standard Duty
Front
Disc Brake Rotor Standard Duty (Front) - 1125 (BRRF-75) Dimensions: 2.25 IN x 13.00 IN x 13.00 IN
Front Disc Brake Caliper RH (Right) - 2B120 (BRCF-70) Dimensions: 4.44 IN x 7.31 IN x 11.31 IN
Front Disc Brake Caliper LH (Right) - 2B120 (BRCF-71) Dimensions: 4.44 IN x 7.31 IN x 11.31 IN
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket RH (Right) - 2B292
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket LH (Right) - 2B292
Brake Splash Shield RH - 2K004
Brake Splash Shield LH - 2K004
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad Less Hvy Duty (Front) - 2001 (BRF-1385)

Rear
Disc Brake Rotor Standard Duty (Rear) - 2C026 (BRRF-70) Dimensions: 1.88 IN x 13.00 IN x 13.00 IN
Rear Disc Brake Caliper Standard Duty RH (Right) - 2552 (BRCF-234) Dimensions: 3.8 x 6.5 x 6.6
Rear Disc Brake Caliper Standard Duty LH (Right) - 2552 (BRCF-235) Dimensions: 3.8 x 6.5 x 6.6
Brake Backing Plate Standard Duty RH - 2C028
Brake Backing Plate Standard Duty LH - 2C028
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket RH/LH (Rear) - 2B511
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad Standard Duty (Rear) - 2200 (BRF-36)
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad (Rear) - 2200 (BRF-1380)

Police Version/SHO
Front
Disc Brake Rotor With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Front) - 1125 (BRRF-112) Dimensions: 14.50 IN x 3.25 IN x 14.00 IN
Front Disc Brake Caliper With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Right) - 2B120 (BRCF-208) Dimensions: 5.25 x 8 x 12.63
Front Disc Brake Caliper With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Right) - 2B120 (BRCF-209) Dimensions: 5.25 x 8 x 12.63
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Right) - 2B292
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Right) - 2B292
Brake Splash Shield With Non Painted Brake Calipers; RH - 2K004
Brake Splash Shield With Non Painted Brake Calipers; LH - 2K004
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad Heavy Duty (Front) - 2001 (BRF-16)

Rear
Disc Brake Rotor With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Rear) - 2C026 (BRRF-92) Dimensions: 14.50 IN x 3.25 IN x 14.00 IN
Rear Disc Brake Caliper With Non Painted Brake Calipers; RH (Right) - 2552 (BRCF-210) Dimensions: 4 x 6.4 x 6.7
Rear Disc Brake Caliper With Non Painted Brake Calipers; LH (Right) - 2552 (BRCF-211) Dimensions: 4 x 6.4 x 6.7
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Rear) - 2B511
Brake Backing Plate With Non Painted Brake Calipers, Heavy Duty RH - 2C028
Brake Backing Plate Heavy Duty, With Non Painted Brake Calipers LH - 2C028
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad With Non Painted Brake Calipers (Rear) - 2200 (BRF-1383)
Brake Shoe or Disc Pad Heavy Duty (Rear) - 2200 (BRF-1384)

The Ex Sport has the same brakes as the Interceptor:

"To handle the stopping demands of a performance SUV, the Sport model's brake rotors are the same as Ford's Police Interceptor Utility, which is based on the Explorer platform. The Sport and police vehicle's front brake rotors are 13.9 in (353 mm) in diameter vs. the current Explorer's 12.8 in (325 mm). Compared to the 2012 Explorer's 12.9-in (328-mm) rear brake rotor, the Sport and police vehicle's rear rotor is 13.6 in (345 mm)."

I checked out the link to the Sport brakes and all the part numbers are DG1Z but everything I see listed for the sport is BRRF?? Not sure if these are the same or not.
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked out the link to the Sport brakes and all the part numbers are DG1Z but everything I see listed for the sport is BRRF?? Not sure if these are the same or not.
Don
Welcome to the Forum Don123.:wavey:
On the Fordparts.com website all numbers follow the 'BRF' scenario. That shows in different forms depending upon whether you are looking at the 'Standard' or 'Heavy Duty' parts. Like you said, there is nothing like a 'DG' number.

Peter

Back