Slow/hard starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slow/hard starting

rmays06

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Got a question, I've done some searching and looked around here to find out info but everything that has been talked about I've worked on.

Anyway, here is what is going on. I recently purchased a 2003 X 4.6L 4x4...blah blah blah.

Since I've got it, it is a slow start. 3 to 4 cranks most times, many times is much more. Sometimes I have to stop cranking and start over.

I've replaced the fuel filter, added new gas and Techron to the tank, had the fuel pump checked and according to the mechanic, the pump is well within tolerance of filling. Battery is solid and starter cranks pretty decent.

There is no difference when it is cold or warm. One time it will start right away and the next it will take me a second turn.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when were the plugs last changed?

Well since you have fresh fire and fresh fuel, maybe it's the air. Have you cleaned you throttle body lately. Sometimes a nice carbon build up occurs holding the butterfly open just a bit. That provides more air than is needed for a quick start. Clean the air flow sensor too but don't use regular carb cleaner.

Well since you have fresh fire and fresh fuel, maybe it's the air. Have you cleaned you throttle body lately. Sometimes a nice carbon build up occurs holding the butterfly open just a bit. That provides more air than is needed for a quick start. Clean the air flow sensor too but don't use regular carb cleaner.

Thank you, at least its a direction.

Stumped as I said.

Stay tuned...

Back