• Register Today It's free!

Dashboard creak

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I'm hearing this creaking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side dashboard area [where it meets the windshield]. I am not sure if is my A pillar applique thing or the dash. Anyone else in the same boat? There probably is already a thread for this.... sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar Creak

I also have a squeak on the driver's side of the dash. I had the dealership try to fix it once but they failed... I did pull the A pillar trim and the heating vent trim by the windshield and neither helped.

I'm hearing this creaking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side dashboard area [where it meets the windshield]. I am not sure if is my A pillar applique thing or the dash. Anyone else in the same boat? There probably is already a thread for this.... sorry.
Have you tried taping off the cowl? That plastic part that runs along the outside bottom of the windshield. That has caused problems on a few Explorers.

Peter

I took my Explorer to the dealership today for the common creaking front suspension while going over speed bumps and for a dash squeak. The dash squeak that I had been experiencing for the past year was in the area between the left side of the instrument panel and the dash vent. The squeak would occur while being driven and I was able to easily demonstrate the same squeak to the technician by pushing on the dash. This particular area had some give underneath it when pushing on it where other areas of the dash felt more solid underneath. I was told that the technician did a slight adjustment to the dash to eliminate the squeak. So far, the squeak appears to have been eliminated and the area underneath the dash is more solid.

I'm hearing this creaking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side dashboard area [where it meets the windshield]...

I also have a squeak on the driver's side of the dash...

Hi foxtemple and bnh1971,

Reach out to me with your information via PM; I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Got this annoying plastic squeak. Actually sounds like plastic to plastic rubbing together. Whatever it is, IT IS ANNOYING!

I took my Explorer to the dealership today for the common creaking front suspension while going over speed bumps and for a dash squeak. The dash squeak that I had been experiencing for the past year was in the area between the left side of the instrument panel and the dash vent. The squeak would occur while being driven and I was able to easily demonstrate the same squeak to the technician by pushing on the dash. This particular area had some give underneath it when pushing on it where other areas of the dash felt more solid underneath. I was told that the technician did a slight adjustment to the dash to eliminate the squeak. So far, the squeak appears to have been eliminated and the area underneath the dash is more solid.

Hi Lwolf

Was the squeaky dash something that was repaired/dealt with in the same day? This winter, mine is noticeably noisy even when in interior cabin warms up. Just curious that the dash appears the same after the fix as before. Thanks.

Ercole

The creak sound in the dash was fixed during a few hour period by the service technician realigning the dash. I was able to press on the dash and I could reproduce the sound. After the repair, the dash was solid with no more creak sound.

The creak sound in the dash was fixed during a few hour period by the service technician realigning the dash. I was able to press on the dash and I could reproduce the sound. After the repair, the dash was solid with no more creak sound.

Great news, lwolf1315! Thanks for sharing your outcome. :thumbsup:

Crystal

You've hit the area of the creaking noise spot on! This is where the creaking sound comes from. It is annoying.

Could you please indicate where exactly on the dash did you push to replicate the noise? I will try it.

In the area of the vents to the left of the instrument panel. It had a spongy feeling underneath whereas the other areas of the dash were solid when pressing on them. After the work was completed, this area is also solid with no more creak. I was told that they realigned dash. Service manager also said they will commonly pad under dash to remove any sponginess.

In the area of the vents to the left of the instrument panel. It had a spongy feeling underneath whereas the other areas of the dash were solid when pressing on them. After the work was completed, this area is also solid with no more creak. I was told that they realigned dash. Service manager also said they will commonly pad under dash to remove any sponginess.

Many thanks!

Pushing that area does reveal sponginess.

After 2 attempts by the dealer to stop the creaking noise, the sound is still there. It sounds like 2 pieces of Styrofoam rubbing together when riding over bumps in the road (well, now potholes!). I can tell you exactly where it is coming from. On the top of the dash in the front by the windshield, there is an insert in the top of the dash. It has the vent louvers for the front defroster and there's some raised plastic thingy in the center. Some type of sensor, I presume.

In cold weather, and believe me, we're having our share here in North Jersey, that plastic insert must contract measurably, because this does not happen in the summer heat. But I've been riding around now for a couple of months in the cold weather and the creaking continues, even after the cabin warms up. When driving on a bumpy road, the friction of the insert against the front attachment area by the glass is the source of the creak. You can put pressure on the insert while you're driving and the noise stops. I don't understand how the folks at the dealer can't correct this.

Anyway, I'm reaching out to anyone out there who may know of the insert piece I'm describing and how I can lift it up and out and try to repair this creak myself. The creak source is clearly closest to the windshield, not the area closest to the driver. And it is only on the driver's side, not the passenger side. I'm thinking of some weather striping along the front area where the insert must first tilt into before lowering the piece closest to me. That should cause the fit to be more snug or at a minimum, silence the friction made when going over bumps. Does that piece just snap in? I don't see screws so I'm going to assume it's simply a pressure fit or snaps into the dash somehow. I just don't want to bust and tabs or mark it up lifting the piece up.

Sure would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Ercole

That raised "thingy" is the sensor for the auto headlamps. Sometimes when you get into trying to solve these noises you create others.
Have tried maybe jamming a toothpick or something similar between the pieces before trying to dismantle things? They say talcum/baby powder works on squeaking hardwood floors.;)

Peter

After 2 attempts by the dealer to stop the creaking noise, the sound is still there. It sounds like 2 pieces of Styrofoam rubbing together when riding over bumps in the road (well, now potholes!). I can tell you exactly where it is coming from. On the top of the dash in the front by the windshield, there is an insert in the top of the dash. It has the vent louvers for the front defroster and there's some raised plastic thingy in the center. Some type of sensor, I presume.

In cold weather, and believe me, we're having our share here in North Jersey, that plastic insert must contract measurably, because this does not happen in the summer heat. But I've been riding around now for a couple of months in the cold weather and the creaking continues, even after the cabin warms up. When driving on a bumpy road, the friction of the insert against the front attachment area by the glass is the source of the creak. You can put pressure on the insert while you're driving and the noise stops. I don't understand how the folks at the dealer can't correct this.

Anyway, I'm reaching out to anyone out there who may know of the insert piece I'm describing and how I can lift it up and out and try to repair this creak myself. The creak source is clearly closest to the windshield, not the area closest to the driver. And it is only on the driver's side, not the passenger side. I'm thinking of some weather striping along the front area where the insert must first tilt into before lowering the piece closest to me. That should cause the fit to be more snug or at a minimum, silence the friction made when going over bumps. Does that piece just snap in? I don't see screws so I'm going to assume it's simply a pressure fit or snaps into the dash somehow. I just don't want to bust and tabs or mark it up lifting the piece up.

Sure would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Ercole

It's like you wrote this explanation for me. lol I have a 13' and mine is doing the same exact thing you are describing. Mine does stop though after the cabin is fully warm. Took it in and they can't figure out what's wrong. I"m probably just going to take it apart myself and fix it.
Let us know if you find a fix.

Sounds like a busy buzzy bee

It's like you wrote this explanation for me. lol I have a 13' and mine is doing the same exact thing you are describing. Mine does stop though after the cabin is fully warm. Took it in and they can't figure out what's wrong. I"m probably just going to take it apart myself and fix it.
Let us know if you find a fix.

The creaking sound in that area has gotten a lot worse these days. IIT IS SO ANNOYING!!! *sigh*The creaking noise sounds as if there is a plastic or something rubbing against glass. I tried putting pressure on the dashboard to no success. I wonder if the dashboard is contracting or something has gotten loose. I worry that the EX is falling apart inside...

I really hope the TSB 12-9-3 will do the fix when I bring it in.

Ercole

I'm having this exact same thing going on, along with a laundry list of other stuff. I have an appointment on tuesday, and to be honest, I'm not holding my breath....they will probably just say that they can't replicate the problem. ....ugh the woes of owning Ford.

Back