adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Twin falls, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Any word on when the 2014 moab trip will be? We are picking our vacations for next year and i would like to try and get it off if i can.

(Edit) The 2014 Moab run will take place May 16-18.

For the 1st timers it is highly recommended that you purchase Charles Wells "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". It is an absolutely invaluable resource for the trip and a "must-buy".

Lodging and Moab Information

Preferred campground: http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/
Another choice: http://koa.com/campgrounds/moab/

http://www.moab-utah.com/
http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

Saturday night dinner:

The Branding Iron has always served us well. Just bring your patience. ;). I will try to make our reservation for 7pm and will confirm that asap.

TRAIL RATINGS (Moab trails are rated thusly; example trails within category are listed with each rating)
1 All weather road; 4WD not needed. (Sand Flats Road)
1.5 Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather. (Onion Creek)
2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required. (Chicken Corners)
2.5 Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears (4LO) often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful. (Gemini Bridges, Secret Spire)
3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required. (Top of the World)
3.5 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed. (Steelbender, Elephant Hill, Fins & Things)
4 Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy (read: be prepared to accept body damage). Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed. (Metal Masher, Poison Spider Mesa, Hells Revenge)
4+ Trails reserved for those not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety. It is common to have 10% or more of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures on these trails. (Golden Spike, Cliffhanger, Moab Rim)
5 Relatively new category reserved for only the most extreme of trails. Don?t even think of running one without a winch, 35? tires, lots of lift, both axles locked, and willing to take major body damage. (Pritchett Canyon)

EXPLORER VEHICLE CATEGORIES

Stock: self explanatory, 4wd with low range - up to 3 rated trails
SuperStock: 1.5" lift; 31" tires, skidplates, LSD (limited slip differential) in rear - up to 3+ rated trails
Modified: 2.5" lift, 32" tires, LSD front and rear OR one locker - up to 4 rated trails
Big Dawg: 4" lift, 33" tires, LSD in one axle AND one locker in the other - 4+ rated trails
Extreme: 5.5+ lift, 35" tires, both axles locked, winch, willing to take major body damage - bring it, any trail"

Who is coming??

Adamsbro2
FR-425
Nharris - No rig
67truckguy
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest either the 9-11th-ish or the 16th-18th-ish. I'm either up for this or the Easter Jeep Safari... Just gotta know.

I'm for the 3rd weekend in May, the 16-18th sounds good to me... Seems the weather has usually cooperated with us over that weekend.

A bump to get the show on the road :D

I checked the 'net and that weekend seems like it's open in Moab. No big events that I can see.

Just need some more people to chime in about which date would be best.

3rd or 4th weekend in May?

If I was to go, I would like to go the last weekend

You guys have fun, not going to make it in 2014. Definitely planning on either 2015 or 2016 though. :D

I say let's plan on the 16th-18th. That'd work for me. Maybe its time for a little thread renaming? Throw the date in there.

Definitely considering this since it was such a blast this year. 16-18th would be fine for me...for now. That may change as school gets into full swing.

I have one daughter graduating with her 2nd masters degree, and another daughter graduating Nursing school , both are on the 16'th, or weekend of, I think. How bittersweet is that?

I'll probably never get to see that place. This is getting depressing. :(

2016 will be the forums 20th anniversary :D

A special 20th anniversary trail run would be awesome, Rick! It'd be nice to see a lot of member show up that.

Agreed! I really wish I could make it every year.

20th anniversary... sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

That gives you plenty of time to work on a baby seat mount :thumbsup::D

I suspect there will be at least 4 rigs from the PNW, maybe even 6 or 7 :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say let's plan on the 16th-18th. That'd work for me. Maybe its time for a little thread renaming? Throw the date in there.

A date hasn't been decided yet nate!

Sounds like there's at least one other person that would prefer the last wekend..
I know for a fact that I can't make it the weekend of the 16th so I'll be trying to go the weekend after that if anyone wants to meet up then that can't make it the 16th. I believe anthony will be joining me as well

Back