Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

A-pillar Applique

Visited a new Dealership to have work on the A-pillar Buzz . After three attempts by to fix the problem with no positive results other than a dented rear door and six trips to the Original Dealer I said enough is enough and moved on. This A-pillar design by Ford is Crap! and is a repair every six months after the warranty runs out all I have to look forward to in the future. Ford why don't you get your act together!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to take mine in for the same thing but i think ive given up on it (trying to fix it) for fears that it may become worse or the pillar may come off (for whatever) reason because it was never put back on correctly. I have just learned to live with it..

Visited a new Dealership to have work on the A-pillar Buzz . After three attempts by to fix the problem with no positive results other than a dented rear door and six trips to the Original Dealer I said enough is enough and moved on. This A-pillar design by Ford is Crap! and is a repair every six months after the warranty runs out all I have to look forward to in the future. Ford why don't you get your act together!
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same issue.
Also, there have been instances where this noise has not come from the 'A' pillar but from the black plastic cowl that runs the length of the outside part of the windshield. This appears to be a more common problem lately although the early models were predisposed to the 'A' pillar issue. You can try taping the cowl down and then see if that fixes the issue. Good luck.

Peter

Contact information for Fordservice Canada

As indicated in my PM, I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same issue.
Also, there have been instances where this noise has not come from the 'A' pillar but from the black plastic cowl that runs the length of the outside part of the windshield. This appears to be a more common problem lately although the early models were predisposed to the 'A' pillar issue. You can try taping the cowl down and then see if that fixes the issue. Good luck.

Peter

Peter could you inform me how to contact Ford Service Canada

Not sure if this helps but I also had an issue with the plastic caps that cover the luggage rack ends being loose and able to vibrate. I never had Ford Service work on the caps as I just stuck a plastic shim along the side to tighten them and the noise disappeared. In retrospect, they actually created more noise than the A-pillar trim!

I think a big part of this issue is that the dealers really dont know how to implement the correct fix that the Ford Engineers have figured out.

I know from 11MY to 13MY they filled the A pillar with foam, changed the attachment process to something stronger. I wonder how many dealers do it correctly now.

Did they correct this problem for 2014 models, or is it something I'll have to worry about when I get mine?

Did they correct this problem for 2014 models, or is it something I'll have to worry about when I get mine?
Welcome to the Forum fjc2.:wavey:
I don't think I've read any issues with the 'A' pillar noise on the 2014 models.
The majority of these cases where this item flew off were the result of improper re-installs after having the TSB carried out. Initially the service personnel were reusing the plastic clips even though some were damaged during the removal. Ford then sent new clips as part of the replacement package.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum fjc2.:wavey:
I don't think I've read any issues with the 'A' pillar noise on the 2014 models.
The majority of these cases where this item flew off were the result of improper re-installs after having the TSB carried out. Initially the service personnel were reusing the plastic clips even though some were damaged during the removal. Ford then sent new clips as part of the replacement package.

Peter

Thanks! My Explorer Sport is being built in January, I didn't want to have to worry about that already. :thumbsup:

Hi 2011redexplorer,

Please send me the odometer reading on your Explorer and I'll assess the next step. :)

Bianca

I was going to take mine in for the same thing but i think ive given up on it (trying to fix it) for fears that it may become worse or the pillar may come off (for whatever) reason because it was never put back on correctly. I have just learned to live with it..

Hi sumzxr,

Please send me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer via PM so I can look into this for you.

Bianca

another mess

Went to the new dealership with copy of TSB in hand didn't want to see it they looked at my vehicle and ordered a new part a week later took my vehicle back and waited.After a two hour wait they came and said they had ordered the wrong part and would need to order new part. When I went to the to the vehicle low and behold the plastic trim has been removed from the door post, some dealership when the A-pillar gets moved to the door post.

Hi sumzxr,

Please send me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer via PM so I can look into this for you.

Bianca

Why is his case different from mine? Why didn't you help me?

I had my 2011 Explorer windshield gasket replaced last year because of noise (with no problem since) but yesterday driving down the highway the passenger side A pillar blew off. I did not stop to get it because I wasn't sure what the heck happened (it was quite windy and thought something just hit my window). I took it in today to my local Ford dealer and they told me there was no way it just blew off that I must have done something to it and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sounds like maybe they didn't install it correctly or replace the clips? Needless to say I wasn't very happy with their response.

Check my thread, you are not alone.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398338

Why is his case different from mine? Why didn't you help me?
See post 925 where Crystal from FordService did ask you to provide the same details and you said it was looked after. Bianca from FordServiceCA looks after the Canadian customers.

Peter

Dash Vibration at Highway Speeds

I have a new explorer, 10K miles. I get an annoying vibration, low rumble in the dash at 70 mph and faster, highway speeds. My wife and I cannot pinpoint the location other than somewhere in the middle under the speaker. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm going to take to the dealer but would like to know what other solutions to this or similar problems have been. Other than this noise, I am very pleased with this car. I bought it to replace my older one.

Thanks for any help.
Jeff G

Welcome to the Forum Jeff G.:wavey:
I don't recall reading any posts about your particular issue although there are reports of various squeaks and rattles in other places. You're doing the right thing by going back to the dealer.
It would also be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it appears in the margin when you post.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same vibration from the center dash area and from the driver side door panel. 2013 FE Ltd 12K miles. Will be taking it in to the dealer soon.

Back