New Idea For LED Signal Mirrors On Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Idea For LED Signal Mirrors On Explorer

I did not like going with the turn signal arrows on the mirrors or buying new mirrors for my 98 Explorer so I decided to approach the side mirror turn signal dilemma form a different angle. And this is what I came up with.....

First I want to give thanks to a few people who made this project possible,

To BigRondo, for the fantastic detailed inst on the installation of signal mirrors,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293175

To Combat, who did this to his motorcycle and got my gears turning on how can I do this to my truck,
http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/169700-diy-led-turn-signals.html

I purchased the LED's, resistors from Ebay and solder it all together and used shrink tubing for a better finish.

20131107_224330_zps3f7d2619.jpg

28b063cf-d8e7-46ba-a1e8-62056dea949f_zps7c4b7b47.jpg

I used the dent puller to hold the mirror evenly and it gave me a handle to help me pull the mirror without bending or cracking it.

I then proceeded to take everything apart, removed the mirror housing from the doors, snaked the wires through the mirror housing into the doors.

20131110_120630_zps152e046e.jpg

20131110_131652_zps5d16226f.jpg

20131110_131900_zps09b90368.jpg

I then drilled the hole for the LED's on the side of the mirror housing, this was the point of no return, I had made a hole on the side of my mirrors!!!.

20131110_131918_zpsdf821459.jpg

I then installed the LED to the mirror housing and I used black silicon from the inside of the mirror housing to seal it and secure it in place. Mirrors where installed back on the doors and the wiring was snake through the doors and into the cab, and connected to the turn signal wires in the wire harness.

20131110_140057_zpsf7feb57d.jpg

and this is how it looks when I was done,

20131110_140113_zps648022af.jpg

here is a movie clip of the LED's working,

th_20131116_165138_zps91b55940.jpg

Let me know what you guys think,
Dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Not bad at all.

That is pretty darned cool. I am impressed!

Seth K. Pyle

I like it!

It must blind the person next to you though. :D

Yes, they are 8mm 1 watt leds, extremely bright, can't miss me signaling to turn. lol
Dennis

Yes, they are 8mm 1 watt leds, extremely bright, can't miss me signaling to turn. lol
Dennis

How much did they cost you, and where'd you wire them up?

If you ever come up here, don't flash your signal next to me. :)

excelente iniciativa!, me gustaria poder verlo funcionando, tal ves un video en youtube...!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lol, no problem. They where about $7 or $9 for 5 LED's, and about the same for 5 resistors, you also need 8mm Black Plastic LED Holders Case Cup from Ebay for about $5 for 50pcs.
I wire them to the wire harness under the carpeting on both sides. You need to remove the Plastic molding along the bottom edge of the door frame on the cab and remove the corner molding by the emergency brake pedal and the one by the passenger side. I used quick splice wire tap scotchlocks for connecting to the wire harness, no need to cut and splice, clean connections.
Hope this helps,
Dennis

The video is the last picture, just click on it and it will play the video.
Thanks,
Dennis

Thank you, I was going to use them but I decided that I wanted the led to stick out just a bit so the signal could be seen from the front as well as from the back of the truck, not just directly in front of the led.
Dennis

As soon as I read the title I had the same idea... Great minds and such.
It looks really good, I'm glad you were the guinea pig so now I can just do it with (mostly) no worries. :thumbsup:

Thanks, what took the most work was sneaking the wires.
Good luck.

LOL, meant to say snaking the wires.

Great looking install. What resistor did you use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 05 and live in Brooklyn and was wondering if when the weather gets warmer you would do me? Well I mean my truck. If so, how much would you charge me?

Back