Ambient lighting | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient lighting

Don't know why Ford doesn't have it standard in all the Explorer trims.

Because then they would all have a higher base price....Ford needs to draw the line somewhere and a fringe "want" versus "need" item like this is why it is an option and not standard.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because then they would all have a higher base price....Ford needs to draw the line somewhere and a fringe "want" versus "need" item like this is why it is an option and not standard.....
:thumbsup:

Peter

Sorry but I have a hard time believing someone would go from XLT to Limited just because of the ambient lighting feature...

Sorry but I have a hard time believing someone would go from XLT to Limited just because of the ambient lighting feature...
It was definitely one of the items that caught my attention when I first saw a photo of the interior of the Limited in a newspaper. That and the fact that the Ex was now a unibody vehicle. Made the jump with 2 1/2 years left on my '09 Highlander lease which a friend of mine took over. Of course some of the other Limited features are nice to have as well. No regrets at all.

Peter

It was definitely one of the items that caught my attention when I first saw a photo of the interior of the Limited in a newspaper. That and the fact at the Ex was now a unibody vehicle. Made the jump with 2 1/2 years left on my '09 Highlander lease which a friend mine took over. Of course some of the other Limited features are nice to have as well. No regrets at all.

Peter

Not disagreeing that it looks nice in a news print. But my point exactly that your choice of the limited over the lower trims was based on more than just ambient lighting. That's why I find it silly that it isn't an option in all models as it wouldn't be the option that makes or breaks moving to the limited trim.

Not sure there's much else to discuss on this topic. Hopefully Ford will make ambient lighting standard on all trims in 2015 or at least an option for all.

X

Your right ambient lighting alone isn't enough to make you upgrade, but ambient lighting is part of trim level that is made up of several things.

Its part of the Limited interior package with woodgrain instead of plain silver trim, luxury seating, etc, etc.

Kind of the same reason the SPORT looses certain options from the Limited and you cant add them ala cart.

Although I agree they should be optional.

The SPORT should allow for PowerFold 3rd row seats, heated 2nd row seats, heated wheel, and Lane Keep.

Interior Light Kit

We want to get the Interior Light Kit # CL8Z-13E700-AA. I'm confident in my abilities to do the install; but I'm wondering if this also requires some computer work to "turn it on". This on a 2014 XLT.

Anyone know if this is a DIY project??

We want to get the Interior Light Kit # CL8Z-13E700-AA. I'm confident in my abilities to do the install; but I'm wondering if this also requires some computer work to "turn it on". This on a 2014 XLT.

Anyone know if this is a DIY project??
Welcome to the Forum xd40c.:wavey:
I'm not sure if this is a 'self install' type accessory or not. It has to be linked into the MFT in order to control the different colours and brightness.
As well, I don't think the add-on kit is exactly the same as the factory installed ambient lighting. The description says it lights the front cup holders and the front foot wells. The factory installed one also lights up the front inside door handle inserts as well as having lights on the left and right back sides of the center console.

Peter

I guess I'll need to get with the dealer to find out if they'll even sell it to me. Then bring it back to get the MFT connection/activation...

… and don’t forget that the factory installed ambient lightning on the Limited also has two multi color LEDs per side that light up the bottom L&R front door pockets. It’s a regular light show at night.
Hey “Shelties” , you guys will have to proof read Peter’s entries in the future!!!
:^O (!)

The kit allows you to change colors but is controlled via a pushbutton. I think its the same number of colors (7). But you cant change intensity. The cup-holder led is just a couple of single leds that you drill into the cupholder to create a similar effect as the limited, but not a ring. You would need to buy the led ring cupholder and solder to the kit. I liked it so i installed it , but it does set you back a couple hundred i think. I re-used the single led for lighting the arm rest console.

Has anyone had the problem fixed? I have a 2013 Limited and when I turn the ambeint lighting off it will arbitrarily turn itself back on. Hate to take it back to the dealer only to have them say they can't duplicte the problem.

Has anyone had the problem fixed? I have a 2013 Limited and when I turn the ambeint lighting off it will arbitrarily turn itself back on. Hate to take it back to the dealer only to have them say they can't duplicte the problem.

Reach out to me via PM, slc10844; I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll do the rest! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum slc10844.:wavey:
I wonder if your issue is in any way connected to those whose ambient lighting changes colours on its own? That issue still hasn't been resolved yet.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and yours. :):thumbsup:

Peter

For some reason mine turns itself on and goes to the default setting. I keep it turned off all the time. Never know when it is going to happen. Don't remember it happening until I had the first update installed. I'm also having climate control issues which may or may not be related to the lighting issue. And Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mine does the same thing. When turned off it will randomly turn back on and when left on it will eventually change back to the crystal blue color within a few days. Both happen on start-up only.

This issue seems to be growing ..... Also mine no matter what color is picked it will not utilize that color when the vehicle is initially unlocked... but will then change to it when the lights are turned on or the ignition is turned on.. I would think it should be the same color all the time..

Mine does the same thing. When turned off it will randomly turn back on and when left on it will eventually change back to the crystal blue color within a few days. Both happen on start-up only.

Mine is only on start-up also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This issue seems to be growing ..... Also mine no matter what color is picked it will not utilize that color when the vehicle is initially unlocked... but will then change to it when the lights are turned on or the ignition is turned on.. I would think it should be the same color all the time..
No matter what colour you have chosen, the ambient lighting defaults to the light blue when entering or existing the vehicle. After start up, the lighting should then change to whatever colour you had previously selected.

Peter

Back