Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

had my '11 in for a standard 5k service last week and heard noise backing out of my garage this morning. Stopped and got out to find the air dam lying on the driveway :scratch:. Ran some errands to stock up on some holiday cheer and upon returning checked this forum and found this thread. Interestingly I just returned from 2-day trip to pick up my son yesterday (~500 miles roundtrip) -- all interstate. Between work and weekend trips to visit kids my ride has been seeing a lot more of the interstate than it has anything off road, so I don't believe it was an impact. All 3 screws are still there but 2 are missing clips. Believe I will contact dealer (Falls Church, VA) in the morning to explain situation and to ask if there is a TSB on this as it appears to have happened to others. Will update the forum to let everyone know what happened. Glad I didn't leave it on the NJ turnpike.

Dude_3
2011 Explorer LTD w/towing package
Welcome to the Forum dude_3.:wavey:
Are you talking about the air deflector that runs the width of the front bumper or the air deflector/intake that channels air under the vehicle for cooling the engine for those that have the tow package. I'm guessing it is the latter. In some cases this has happened after an oil change has been done. I believe some posts have said the air dam has to be removed for that to be done. In either case, there is no TSB that I am aware. There is a thread on 2011 - 2012 Explorer TSB's in the 'Sticky' section on the first page.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air deflector/intake...

Peter,

It was the air deflector/intake… thanks for the clarification. As for an update: when I set-up the appt with my dealer on Christmas eve and also sent them a link to this thread and asked if they remount it at no cost. The manager e-mailed me to let me know they would look at it but wasn't aware of any TSBs. After bringing it in they took care of it right away and didn't charge me.:thumbsup:

...The manager e-mailed me to let me know they would look at it but wasn't aware of any TSBs. After bringing it in they took care of it right away and didn't charge me.:thumbsup:

This is the kind of service I love hearing about, dude_3! I'm so happy to hear your dealership took great care of you. If you need any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Crystal

Confirming this intake is still around on the '14 Explorer Sport... Mine fell off today, after my first oil change. It's made of fiberglass on the '14s. When it impacted the highway, much of the front part of it splintered, so it's going to need complete replacement. Did anyone happen to stumble upon a part number?

Confirming this intake is still around on the '14 Explorer Sport... Mine fell off today, after my first oil change. It's made of fiberglass on the '14s. When it impacted the highway, much of the front part of it splintered, so it's going to need complete replacement. Did anyone happen to stumble upon a part number?
Welcome to the Forum johnlnelms.:wavey:
If your dealer did the oil change I would think that this would be a warranty issue since it obviously wasn't put back in place properly. As for the part number, check out www.fordparts.com

Peter

Finally - I have wondered why my 2012 with towing package had a cut out in the front facia/air dam, but no cooler behind it. I first thought that the facia had been broken, but the hole looked too precise upon closer inspection. But I found it weird there was nothing behind it (like a tranny cooler, etc.). This makes perfect sense now. Of course since the part costs $100 to replace and seems to fall off very easily - I guess I will just leave it off and live with the hole! But at least I know........

After an oil change the lower intake duct was loose on my 2013 Explorer Sport. Tried to tighten the thumb screws but couldn't. Took it back to Jiffy Lube (I know, never again) and was told that was just the way it was. Finally took it to my local dealer and had next oil change done there and asked them to check it. They first said they had fixed it but when I found it still loose they changed their story and said I "must have hit something". They reluctantly agreed to order me a new one and called two hours later to say it would be there at 0730 the next day.

They put the "new" one on and told me it was "tighter". I drove home and it was nice and snug, but obviously the part came off another vehicle. It had more scratches than my old one and even had some duct tape on the back side. At least, they covered it under warranty and didn't try to blame me for the problem again.

Nothing turns me off more than lies and there were multiple fibs from the service guy.
Of course, and unrelated to this, that's nothing like Jiffy Lube telling me Ford wouldn't honor the warranty unless I use synthetic motor oil.

I realize this is a fairly old thread but luckily I am only encountering this issue now. My dealer was actually unsure of the part number for the intake and thought it was part of the valence. In following the link to the Ford Part site I believe this is actually listed as the Engine Underbody Air Deflector (<10494) - is there anyone still following this thread that might be able to confirm this for me?

Thanks
Keith

Welcome to the Forum keith.mccolgan.:wavey:
That looks like it may be the correct part Keith although it is a little hard to tell. I did an Internet search on Ford Under Body Air Deflector and found this.

Peter

Attachments

• Under Body Air.jpg
    Under Body Air.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 723

Here's an oddity.... I purchased my 13 Explorer Limited and no towing package was advertised (I had never wanted the towing package). But after getting under the engine, I noticed that I have this intake installed! I have no hitch or anything.

Can anyone shed light on this? Could it be this truck once had it and the prior owner removed it?

I know the towing package comes with an engine cooler. Can anyone describe what this looks like or has any pictures?

Here's an oddity.... I purchased my 13 Explorer Limited and no towing package was advertised (I had never wanted the towing package). But after getting under the engine, I noticed that I have this intake installed! I have no hitch or anything.

Can anyone shed light on this? Could it be this truck once had it and the prior owner removed it?

I know the towing package comes with an engine cooler. Can anyone describe what this looks like or has any pictures?
See the picture in post 70. You can check to see what the vehicle came with simply by running the VIN and pulling up the Window Sticker. Use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458
For a more detailed list of original items you use this link;
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...id=AAF1A6C458BFBCD466D8EA6BBCCAA27D.eccvas510

Peter

My 13 Sport has the deflector and I don't have the trailer towing option

See previous posts...Sports have the duct to help cool the Ecoboost.

I bought a pre-owned xlt with the tow package and the scoop part #BB5Z-9910494-A is what you are refering to has been missing on mine since day one. It must have fell off or was removed during service and never put back! Yikes! I don't do much towing, once in one year and a short trip, but does anyone know if this part also serves as a splash guard for my exposed serpentine belt. If it does keep water off the belt I will replace it, if not I will save the $$!

Wow, saw two explorers at the shopping center today with the tow package just like mine, took a quick peek under both and low and behold, they must have had the same oil change expert remove it and disguard, or flew off on the highway!!!! I am just trying to find one installed to see if it covers the exposed serpentine belt. Does anyone have a good pic?

Found this part on my 2014 Ex Sport w/ tow package. At only 5000 miles, it was hanging by a thread. There's no way this thing isn't going to fly off at some point. The screws are terrible. Like a clip on tie.

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 3,803
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 1,566
  • IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 951

So does anyone know IF you don't have the towing package, it is even worth leaving this on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back