Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a 13 XLT, with 60/40 bench, no BLIS.

Mine recline, the 40 section slides (and has the bar underneath), the 60 section does not slide as far as I can tell(no bar underneath)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is a '13 XLT with leather 60/40. No BLIS

Mine is a '13 XLT with leather 60/40. No BLIS

Looking like an XLT feature that the Limiteds don't get. I guess if you look at it from Fords side, it is called Limited, not Unlimited.

I wonder if we could get a hold of a Ford kit to change our 40 section to slide. I have the 2011 XLT and no slide on mine. It would be nice to have.

Convert 2nd row bench seats to bucket seats

Guys,

IS it possible to convert the second row bench to bucket seats. I liked the powerfold on the second row passenger seat when they are bucket seats...Would really like to have them if I get a chance to convert.

If this forum is anything like the Ford Truck and Excursions forums I've lived on the last 10 years, someone will be along that wants to trade :)

Oh, I have bench and wish I had buckets,
oh, I have buckets and wish I had bench :) :) :)

In the excursions, it was a direct bolt in option as the subfloor had all the holes :)

good luck in your quest

Guys,

IS it possible to convert the second row bench to bucket seats. I liked the powerfold on the second row passenger seat when they are bucket seats...Would really like to have them if I get a chance to convert.
This same question was started as a thread some time ago. I think the conclusion was that you can replace them. I don't imagine it would be cheap.

I did a search on 'buckets' and came up with quite a few threads. I think the following one may be of interest;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311441&highlight=buckets

Peter

Retrofit to 2nd row captains chairs

I purchased my 2014 Explorer Sport a few months ago. I got the 2nd row bench but kind of wish I got the 2nd row captains chairs instead.

Just wondering the ability, practicality and realistic cost to switch to the captains chairs. Would it mean just ordering the new seats from the dealer (cost?) or keeping an eye out at a junkyard and and swapping them...a few hours labour and a few bolts? Or, is there a lot more to it than that?

I suppose there could even be someone who got the captains chairs but wish they chose the bench and would be up for a trade???

I purchased my 2014 Explorer Sport a few months ago. I got the 2nd row bench but kind of wish I got the 2nd row captains chairs instead.

Just wondering the ability, practicality and realistic cost to switch to the captains chairs. Would it mean just ordering the new seats from the dealer (cost?) or keeping an eye out at a junkyard and and swapping them...a few hours labour and a few bolts? Or, is there a lot more to it than that?

I suppose there could even be someone who got the captains chairs but wish they chose the bench and would be up for a trade???
I doubt very much that you can order these seats from the dealer as an aftermarket installation. I started to look at the seats on fordparts.com and quit after looking at about 24 of 118 pages. To build on I'm guessing would be over $3000 each given all the parts required. I'm not sure if the vehicle's airbag configuration for 2nd row captain's chairs is different vs a bench seat setup.

Peter

I will try my engineering contacts in Dearborn and CAP and see if I can find out for you.

From what I have seen at the CAP production line the anchors for the seat mounting are in the body floor from the start in the steel stamping area.

But rather then a bunch of opinion and hearsay I will try and get some facts.

Might have to be after holidays next week as the CAP is closed.

The seats themselves are a direct bolt in with 4 bolts for each side. Should take less then 30 minutes for the complete job. However, do you have rear inflatable belts? The ignitor modules are located under the bottom of the seat cushions so you would need to find buckets with inflatable belts also since the buckles are also different. If you don't have the belts then it's just a straight swap.

There you go

Wouldn't you only need the driver side rear bucket? It looks to me the passengers side is all ready there being a 60 40 seat arrangement.

The seats themselves are a direct bolt in with 4 bolts for each side. Should take less then 30 minutes for the complete job. However, do you have rear inflatable belts? The ignitor modules are located under the bottom of the seat cushions so you would need to find buckets with inflatable belts also since the buckles are also different. If you don't have the belts then it's just a straight swap.

My seats belts are "not" the inflatable kind.
As the other poster mentioned is the passenger single seat side the same and therefor would only require the driver side to swap?
I'd also consider adding in that Center console accessory and sure that's just a drop in once you get the bench seat out.

As the other poster mentioned is the passenger single seat side the same and therefor would only require the driver side to swap?
I'd also consider adding in that Center console accessory and sure that's just a drop in once you get the bench seat out.
I think the passenger side might in fact be a 'single' seat onto itself. I'm not sure if the 2nd row bucket seats (Ford term) are shaped differently or not. The best thing to do would be to see if a dealer has one the lot with the buckets and compare them to yours.

Peter

The passenger side is the same whether you have the buckets or bench seating. However, the passenger side of a bench seat configuration did not slide fore/aft until Explorers built 12/3/12 and later (later builds of MY 2013). Bucket seats of '11 to present do slide fore/aft.

The passenger side is the same whether you have the buckets or bench seating.

Really? I would expect the factory bucket to have an inside arm rest. Also, adding the center console requires removing carpet.

Really? I would expect the factory bucket to have an inside arm rest. Also, adding the center console requires removing carpet.
Second row bucket seats do not have inside armrests. That is what the centre console is for and whether you order it or not is up to the customer. It is a subject that has been brought up many times on this forum.
As for installing the console as an after market option, yes, the carpet will ave to be cut to accommodate it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 - Swap out to bucket seats for 2nd row?

Does anyone know if you can swap out the bench seat in the 2nd row for bucket seats? The dealer has told me it cannot be done but looking under the seats it seems pretty plausible to me.

Where can I buy bucket seats besides a junk yard?

Back