gdecamp

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 X Limited AWD
Hi!

Been a while since I posted....

I went on a trip over the past few days from NY to Maryland. All went really well except for one thing which was odd and I wanted to see if it ever happened to anyone else.

In Maryland it was 11 degrees on Tuesday morning and very windy, wind chill 3 or 4 below zero. We stayed in a hotel and the vehicle stayed out in the parking lot all night, no indoor parking and they wouldn't let me park it in the room....:D I woke up and we headed out for the day to visit my wife's dad. I went to open the tailgate with my key fob and nothing. then I went to the tailgate itself and tried to open it with the handle and nothing. Then I went inside to the drivers seat and tried the inside switch to open it...still nothing. I heard a motor but obviously the door was frozen shut. There was no visible ice or snow so I guess the cold and wind did something somewhere. I drove around for an hour and it then opened probably because of the heat I had on inside the cabin

Anyone ever experience this? I would hate this to happen when I went to put in my luggage and not be able to. What do you do besides leave the heat on in the running car to get it open??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi!

Been a while since I posted....

I went on a trip over the past few days from NY to Maryland. All went really well except for one thing which was odd and I wanted to see if it ever happened to anyone else.

In Maryland it was 11 degrees on Tuesday morning and very windy, wind chill 3 or 4 below zero. We stayed in a hotel and the vehicle stayed out in the parking lot all night, no indoor parking and they wouldn't let me park it in the room....:D I woke up and we headed out for the day to visit my wife's dad. I went to open the tailgate with my key fob and nothing. then I went to the tailgate itself and tried to open it with the handle and nothing. Then I went inside to the drivers seat and tried the inside switch to open it...still nothing. I heard a motor but obviously the door was frozen shut. There was no visible ice or snow so I guess the cold and wind did something somewhere. I drove around for an hour and it then opened probably because of the heat I had on inside the cabin

Anyone ever experience this? I would hate this to happen when I went to put in my luggage and not be able to. What do you do besides leave the heat on in the running car to get it open??

Thanks
I haven't noticed any issues with mine and it was around -13 F for a week or more a while ago with a windchill of around -31 F although windchill shouldn't affected it. Is is possible that conditions were wet the last time you used it and then the rubber molding froze?

Peter

Coulda just been some moisture. Few days ago when we got that big ole storm, I had to give my brothers friend a ride home since the buses couldn't make it. He opened the hatch to grab his backpack. 5 minutes later I tried to open it to get my rope (pulled a VW) but it was frozen shut. All I can figure is snow got on the seal when he opened it and it froze

Thanks guys!~ Could be right about the moisture. Maybe some Vaseline or silicone spray will work. Thanks again!

Back