What to do to make my 1997 explorer ride 33s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do to make my 1997 explorer ride 33s?

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
Whats up guys! I just got a 1997 explorer EB 4x4 with the IFS up front. I have some brand new 33s that i want to put on it. I already know that the most common way is the TT, shackles, AAL, and a 3 inch body but i have a few questions.

1) What is the best way to lift it? My budget is about $600 and i want to be able to ride my 33s with some flex room. I dont want to have to do any fender trimming because I like my Eddie Bauer fender flairs. I dont have enough money for a SAS unfortunately.

2) I dont really want my CV axles going out really fast so i was wondering if i could do the body, shackles and maybe new shocks instead of the TT? Or should I do the TT?

3) If I do the TT, is it better to get 2 inch torsion keys or just crank it up 2 inches (or another amount)? Do i need a special screw to allow for the full 2 inches?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I do the shackles and aal won't I be sitting about an inch higher in the rear?

You can't run 33's on an Explorer without trimming. Maybe with 33x10.50 or 9.50's but I kinda doubt even then.

33x10.50 can fit without trimming but everybody has different results. a very few members have fit 33x12.50 without trimming

33x10.50 can fit without trimming but everybody has different results. a very few members have fit 33x12.50 without trimming

Would I just need to trim the wheel wells or the fenders?

I'm gonna see if some wheel spacers might help me clear the 12.50s

Just because the tire says it's 33/12.5/15 doesn't mean it's the same size as another 33/12.5. Sorta like shoe and pant sizes.

What brand/type of tire is it?

Its a wild spirit radial rvt 33/12.50/r15 on a 15x10 rim. Pretty much an off brand mud tire.

Should I get 1.25" or the 1.5" spacers for $20 more?

Wheel spacers and / or a wide offset wheel is going to make the tires rub worse.

I have a negative 40mm offset on 10inch wide rims. What do you think?

15 by 10 can work dont do spacers you will have so save some money first though 600 wont do it... you need 4 inches minimum and then no trimming.... lift on an explorer isnt normal the front comes from the a arm and the rear either an axel flip or add a leaf you can check out summit racings lift kit and i believe there is one or two more out there the kit would be 1500 but you will need a new driveshaft to allow the bigger lift or a slip yoke eliminator but i have no idea who makes that but there are better drive shafts for lift for the explorer

super lift is the kit

Back