New goodies for the Stealth Bomber | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New goodies for the Stealth Bomber

CDN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
CAI, cross bars and Husky mats

It's been a while since I bought anything for my Ex since I've been focusing all my attention and $$ on my S4, but I have reached a point with the Audi where I am quite happy with it and so now I shift my focus back over to the Ex for a bit.

I recently purchased Husky floor mats, front and back as the OEM ones are absolutely worthless in the winter. I have the weather tech in my S4 and they are amazing, but for almost the same price, Husky is giving me fronts and backs, and they too are custom molded and have the deep dish design.

I ordered a K&N CAI, hoping to improve the performance slightly, but mostly helping with fuel economy and maybe a little with sound ;)

Picking up OEM roof rails and a cargo box soon too, but i haven't made a decision which box yet. I like the Yakima low pro, but they are pricey. I'm also considering the Thule 623 Alpine. If anyone has any input on either one of those or another suggestion, please share! Thanks

Stay tuned for pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a quick update and pix for clicks:

KampNExplorer.jpg

So far I can't really tell if the CAI is helping with getting a better gas mileage. If anything, at this point I'd have to say it's the same, if not worse. I used to get about 12L/100km on the highway and now it seems to be closer to 13-14 even at speed limit. This leaves me rather disappointed. HOWEVER, I do like how it sounds now when I step on the gas. K&N guarantees up to 10hp gain at the wheel with this intake, but I can't say I notice much of a difference other than the sound. What I was hoping for was a more efficient fuel/air ratio, with the intent of helping to get a better fuel consumption.

The install itself was pretty straight forward. The instructions were OK, not great. Should have done a DIY after all.

The cross bars are super easy to install. The instructions were OK too, but did a DIY anyway. Not sure if anyone needs it, but if you do, let me know and I'll post it up.

crossbars.jpg

The Husky mats are a perfect fit and they definitely do the trick. I like the fact that rear mats cover the mid section as well and now I'll never have to worry about water/snow anymore. Made in USA too, which is important nowadays.

Hey, ride looks good. How much did the cross bars set ya back. You should look into getting the Livernois Tune. I got it last week for my Sport. Man does it haul ass now. Little harder on gas because I'm constantly going WOT...... Hehe.

Broken Strut. Is that tune available for normally aspirated engines also? I have been following the ecoboost tune for both Lund and Livernois. CDN has a NA engine.

Hey, ride looks good. How much did the cross bars set ya back. You should look into getting the Livernois Tune. I got it last week for my Sport. Man does it haul ass now. Little harder on gas because I'm constantly going WOT...... Hehe.

cross bars were 160 plus tax. I know, more expensive than from some online retailers or compared to the US, but since it's a big item, once shipping and taxes and broker fees have been applied, it would probably be very similar. So all in all $180 CAD.

I've looked into the livernois tune, but since I have the NA V6, it's not really on my radar. This is not my go fast car, that's why I have an Audi S4 4.2 V8 ;)

Was that you that I saw this morning in the white Sport with the black sharfkin, by Macdonald Ave and Waasis Rd?

Yes that was me. Do you have different rims on the bomber?

Yes that was me. Do you have different rims on the bomber?

I've got the original rims on for the winter. Easier than swapping tires twice a year.

I'm going to talk with them on Monday. See how they feel about it. Not much sense hiding it from them. They will eventually find out. I'll let you know how I make out.

That's cool, my other car is an S4 also (2012)....
IMG_3340_zps82a9fac8.jpg

^^^ NICE!!!! Good choice in wheels too, and I like how you keep the same colours on your vehicles. Are you on AZ?
I did the same with mine:
This is the only pic I have of the 2 of them together. My uber crowded driveway lol, I need to move!

PS - in the meantime I replaced the red center caps with black ones, now the vehicles match even better.

P1090770.jpg

P1090841.jpg

^^^ NICE!!!! Good choice in wheels too, and I like how you keep the same colours on your vehicles. Are you on AZ?
I did the same with mine:
This is the only pic I have of the 2 of them together. My uber crowded driveway lol, I need to move!

PS - in the meantime I replaced the red center caps with black ones, now the vehicles match even better.

Nice S4! I am on AZ; I am more active mostly in the B8 S4 section, but it's a zoo over there lately.

I really didn't plan to go with the same color cars, but it's just kind of the way it worked out with the limited Sport color options. Kind of funny because several years ago, I would have never guessed I would have a white car, much less two. At the end of the day, I think Ibis is such a classic Audi color, and it looks pretty good on the Explorer Sport also.

^^ Yes I have always loved white cars. I somehow always end up with black ones lol, this is my 3rd black vehicle in a row, even though I always tell myself to get a white one. Black looks amazing when it's clean, but it just never stays clean ....

^^ Yes I have always loved white cars. I somehow always end up with black ones lol, this is my 3rd black vehicle in a row, even though I always tell myself to get a white one. Black looks amazing when it's clean, but it just never stays clean ....

I know what you mean. This is what I traded in on the Explorer....
IMG_1626.jpg

WHAAAAAT??!! Seriously? You like the X better than a Q7?? If I could have afforded a Q7 with all the options I wanted, I would have gone that route. The only thing is, they kinda look like a minivan unless they are done right, which again would have cost me bit $$$

WHAAAAAT??!! Seriously? You like the X better than a Q7?? If I could have afforded a Q7 with all the options I wanted, I would have gone that route. The only thing is, they kinda look like a minivan unless they are done right, which again would have cost me bit $$$

Haha. I definitely like the Q7 better, but.... The Q7 had 100k miles, and was costing me an arm and leg to maintain at this point. I just retired (well, quit my job, and starting a business later this year), and I really wanted to limit unexpected expenses over the next few years. Or, in other words I wanted something new with a warranty and maintenance covered. Since I don't have a job, a new Q7 was out of the question. Like you said, it would have just cost too much to get what I wanted. I really liked the Q5, but it can't tow much and the wife thought it was too small (reminded her of my B8 S4 which makes sense).

Anyway, the Explorer Sport was the compromise. My family owns a Ford dealership, so I got a really good deal with a warranty and maintenance covered to 100k miles. Overall, I'm happy with it. It lacks the refinement of the Q7, but performance and handling are great; even compared to the Q7. I don't like the overall finish/trim quality or the transmission as much, but I am happy with everything else. It's big, fast, comfortable, and handles well.

Has this thread turned into a 'show a pic of your driveway thread?' Im in;) Took this last Saturday, ah February in SoCal...

Attachments

• 20140208_100243 (1).jpg
    20140208_100243 (1).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 652

Yes, why not, this can be the official explorer owners "show us your driveway" thread lol. Nice Porsche! So jealous of your SoCal weather. Maybe not the draught though. We've got yet another snow storm on the other side of the continent.

Anyone else experience worse fuel mileage with the CAI?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has this thread turned into a 'show a pic of your driveway thread?' Im in;) Took this last Saturday, ah February in SoCal...

BTW, where is your Explorer?? Driveway pics must include Explorer! :salute: ;)

Back