HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Just an update on my headlight HID install...I had to replace the coolbulbs-square 3m double sided pad after only a couple weeks. Both sides fell off. I replaced it with RED 3m tape which required three strips per transformer. The original smaller transformer is still holding strong with the RED 3m tape that I HAD to use-coolbulbs does not supply double sided tape for that piece. Hope this helps for future DIYers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For you guys running hids in the fog lights, how did you disable the relay that cuts them off when you use high beams?

For you guys running hids in the fog lights, how did you disable the relay that cuts them off when you use high beams?
In my case, I left that untouched. I never run high beams anyways.

Nothing!

Simple install...Work just like normal...High beams turn on...Fogs turn off. Order them up! Buy 3m Red Tape!!!

Nothing!

Simple install...Work just like normal...High beams turn on...Fogs turn off. Order them up! Buy 3m Red Tape!!!
I think the question was how do you disable the relay that turns the fogs off when you use the high beams. In other words I believe the posted wants both fogs and high beams on, although I don't know why. Not sure if that is even legal in most places.

Peter

I ask because if you need to flash the brights and have hids on the fogs they will get quick power interruptions which I don't think the ballast like too much maybe causing premature failure.

Good point...forget being courteous and save your bulbs! :smokinfro

Maybe I missed it, but has there been any update to Wibb's posts above (e.g., # 40 and 38) regarding the conversion to HID headlights and projectors using OEM HID components and the anticipated costs to do so? Wibb (or anyone else with knowledge), please let us know if you have obtained any additional information on this, as it appears several members are interested.

Also, am I correct in assuming that any such conversion would require the headlight assemblies to be opened up by heating/baking them?

any updates on how kits are doing? are there differences between canadian and US explorer sports regarding DRLs? i dont think i have DRL's on my Xsport? I really am interested in this kid just not sure on how things are going! Thanks guys

also noticed the Limited comes with HIDs so i wonder if FORD would do a swap?! :)

How is this setup (coolbulbs) compared to how the HIDs are setup on the Limited? ie how they are controlled etc... ?

No difference between US and Canuckastan as far as hardware just federal law.

In Canada federal law says any vehicle sold must have DRL's, but not in the US.

If your vehicle has HID projectors then the park/turn/warn amber lights are your DRL's.

If your vehicle has halogen projectors then they are the DRL's

No difference between US and Canuckastan as far as hardware just federal law.

In Canada federal law says any vehicle sold must have DRL's, but not in the US.

If your vehicle has HID projectors then the park/turn/warn amber lights are your DRL's.

If your vehicle has halogen projectors then they are the DRL's

well i have a 2014 explorer sport so i dont have HID projectors. My question is since i live in the united states and dont have DRL's to my knowledge, will me installing these HIDS give me any issues?

well i have a 2014 explorer sport so i dont have HID projectors. My question is since i live in the united states and dont have DRL's to my knowledge, will me installing these HIDS give me any issues?

The only issue you will have is that you will be able to see at night. Good Luck with that.

No issues, but as several have mentioned on here do not use cheap Ebay kits.

Coolbulbs.com seems to be a good kit, just a recent rash of issues with their supplier from China. Hopefully its all resolved now.

I like the CANBUS connected kits.

Im only waiting to see what happens with the guys who were looking into the Ford OEM HID parts and making their own kits to install on the Halogen Sport headlights.

Im only waiting to see what happens with the guys who were looking into the Ford OEM HID parts and making their own kits to install on the Halogen Sport headlights.

This is what id really like.. who is doing this? Any progress??

Someone with a limited (with hids) needs to check and see if the ballasts are on the bulb themself or how that works... the headlight housings have to.be the same I would think from.limited to.sport (Aside.from blacked out)

Someone with a limited (with hids) needs to check and see if the ballasts are on the bulb themself or how that works... the headlight housings have to.be the same I would think from.limited to.sport (Aside.from blacked out)
No they are not the same according to a few articles I have read. They are designed for the OEM bulb that is used.

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Peter

the factory hid on the limited has a separate ballast that sits on the bottom underside of the headlight housing. the bulb is a d3s which has a square box like back part with the glass bulb sticking out of it. there is a cable that runs from the ballast to the bulb. the HID housing is different than the halogen version.

Ah. Thanks for the info, I figured they would be similiar but I guess not.. sucks lol.

Ah. Thanks for the info, I figured they would be similiar but I guess not.. sucks lol.
It hasn't prevented members from doing a conversion as you can tell by the various threads on the topic. It just means that they won't be as good as the OEM installation for the reasons provided above.

Peter

It hasn't prevented members from doing a conversion as you can tell by the various threads on the topic. It just means that they won't be as good as the OEM installation for the reasons provided above.

Peter

well I think I will wait to see if anyone converts the limited HID's to the Sport in some fashion. I think that would be ideal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talking to salesman that I dealt with , he is going to speak with service manager to see if sport housing can have hids from limited wired up and used in that housing. Keep ya posted even though I dont have good feeling or that anything will come.of this, but we will see.

Back