Any recommended Y pipes?

jimster502

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hey everybody,
I want to add an aftermarket muffler (dynomax super turbo to be exact) to my 97 v6 explorer. The muffler I want to use has a single inlet/outlet & the stock muffler has dual inlet & single outlet. I was looking into buying the magnaflow y pipe part #10758 but I don't know if it will fit. Has anyone used this y pipe? Does anyone have any recommendations of premade y pipes that will fit the explorer? I'm pretty sure having a custom one made is going to be expensive & I'm in a budget here.
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait... So you want to Y off the manifold/headers into a single in/single out muffler and then out the back? May be easier to just get a dual in/single out muffler.

If you are stuck on Y'ing down into a single in/single out muffler... Exhaust shop can simply weld a Y pipe in place cheap... I don't recall stock exhaust diameter but... here are some aluminized Y pipe options. They also have Y pipe of various diameters in 304SS and 409SS :D

Y pipe fabrication

. . . If you are stuck on Y'ing down into a single in/single out muffler... Exhaust shop can simply weld a Y pipe in place cheap . . .

I agree. I shopped for Y pipes online and purchased one. The quality was poor and I spent hours grinding off the internal projections.

Advertised photo:
10778.jpg

Actual part:
YSide.jpg

2.5" dia. inlets:
25Left.jpg

25Right.jpg

3" dia. outlet"
30Left.jpg

30Right.jpg

This is mine. Might be the same as above.

attachment.php

Mandrel bend solutions products are top notch. Have bought a good number of piping and cpl full boar mufflers from them.. All quality stuff :-D

Cant believe you guys brought up an year old thread lol

But yeah the shop i took it to made me a custom one with dual 2.5" inlets and single 2.5" outlet. After the y pipe went the muffler and then I just dumped it. So the exhaust system ends below the rear right passenger seat. I have a really small amount of drone but nothing annoying and my truck did end up performing better

Lol. I didn't even notice I brought back a zombie lol. For whatever reason old threads pop up at the top of my "unread" list and I don't even check the date assuming they are new haha.

Dynomax actually makes custom Super Turbo mufflers for the 95+ Explorers, that just bolt on to the stock pipes. They already have a Y-style inlet.

17671.jpg

17672.jpg

Back