Car Play | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car Play

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was curious about this, I'm hoping it works in previous models.

Pretty cool. I read an article yesterday about Volvo being the first to sign on. They stated it will be in the new XC90 released later in 2014. First thing I would hope is the ability to download a different navigation app. I would much rather use Google maps instead of Apple maps.

I already do this with Android. Have the smartphone on an integrated cradle next to the MFT.

Hit the Google voice button and say "navigate 123 smith road" or "play The Beatles Let it Be" or "text jane doe I will be there in 10 minutes". I don't use car navs. Google nav is too good and I can preset in my house on my phone the night before for various locations if a long trip. Just watch the map on my phone next to the MFT while I get turn by turn over the speakers.

All of this and more comes over car speakers via Bluetooth. Can go to next song on my playlist on my phone with the steering wheel control or by voice.

Thing is, there is no way any auto manufacturer that integrates with Android or Apple will be able to keep up with software updates to the phone OS or all the new apps.

I just stick with the cell phone directly. My smartphone syncs via Bluetooth for phone and streaming music and downloading my phone book, but it does not have text-to-talk via MFT/SYNC on the Ex (it does on my 2009 Escape for some reason). No biggie, I have an app (eCID for Android) that does text to talk over Bluetooth on the car speakers for received texts and I can just speak the response. Also reads caller ID (don't bother with that as I can see the caller on the phone and MFT) and reads emails over the car speakers and I can reply to an email by voice if I have that option turned on in the app. Also reads calender notifications over car speakers. Since I doubt you will see email voice integration on your car soon, I'll stick to the tried and true.

Thing is, there is no way any auto manufacturer that integrates with Android or Apple will be able to keep up with software updates to the phone OS or all the new apps.

CarPlay doesn't run on the manufacturer's hardware. The car is just streaming a video stream from the phone, and sending back commands via touch screen, and control input. The manufacturers don't have to keep up with anything once the system is CarPlay compatible, the apps and everything are running on the phone. As long as Apple's updates are always compliant w/ the original CarPlay spec, then future OS updates won't affect the ability to use CarPlay.

CarPlay isn't replacing the built-in infotainment system. These cars will have their own menus, options, features, UI. CarPlay is just a feature that will let you play the Apple UI on the screen, and control the Apple software using touches, etc.

Not sure if you've ever used AirPlay on AppleTV, but it will work very similar to that, just optimized for use in-vehicle (large buttons, etc).

A lot of aftermarket head units offer "App Radio" for running apps from mobile devices and displaying output on the screen. CarPlay is basically equivalent to this.

CarPlay doesn't run on the manufacturer's hardware. The car is just streaming a video stream from the phone, and sending back commands via touch screen, and control input. The manufacturers don't have to keep up with anything once the system is CarPlay compatible, the apps and everything are running on the phone. As long as Apple's updates are always compliant w/ the original CarPlay spec, then future OS updates won't affect the ability to use CarPlay.

CarPlay isn't replacing the built-in infotainment system. These cars will have their own menus, options, features, UI. CarPlay is just a feature that will let you play the Apple UI on the screen, and control the Apple software using touches, etc.

Not sure if you've ever used AirPlay on AppleTV, but it will work very similar to that, just optimized for use in-vehicle (large buttons, etc).

A lot of aftermarket head units offer "App Radio" for running apps from mobile devices and displaying output on the screen. CarPlay is basically equivalent to this.

Gotcha. So this is essentially displaying on the car screen what I already have displayed next to my MFT on my smartphone in a cradle. What I like about my setup is I can see what song is paying on my cell phone with the album art, song title, etc and then go into climate control on the main MFT screen. Can do this with multiple variables so I can see multiple things at once.

I'm sure the car makers and Apple/Google know people do what I do so they will try and integrate what I am talking about, and if they can do it well and in manner that it does not crash and burn with app and phone updates, then great. I'm a relatively early adapter, but I won't spend money unless I know it works. I knew about MFT kinks before I bought the Ex, but I knew I had workarounds on my phone.

Gotcha. So this is essentially displaying on the car screen what I already have displayed next to my MFT on my smartphone in a cradle. What I like about my setup is I can see what song is paying on my cell phone with the album art, song title, etc and then go into climate control on the main MFT screen. Can so this with multiple variables.

I have an iPad mounted below MFT, like you it's connected via BT, and I use it for everything aside from bluetooth phone calls. I certainly would welcome CarPlay though, if Apple allows third party apps to develop for it.

IMG_0071.JPG

edit:
I have replaced the iPad in the picture above w/ a black model for aesthetic reasons, but functionally its the same :)

I'm curious in the type of mount you are using.

Does anyone thing this will be compatible with the current MFT at any level? I too use my phone and MFT simultaneously but this looks more along the lines of what I'm wanting.

CarPlay & Ford Sync?!!

Hi,
Apple just announced their new Car Platform (CarPlay) and Ford is listed in Apple website as a partner for future models, any idea when Ford will release CarPlay? & if this can be enabled to existing models or not?

Thanks

Hi,
Apple just announced their new Car Platform (CarPlay) and Ford is listed in Apple website as a partner for future models, any idea when Ford will release CarPlay? & if this can be enabled to existing models or not?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum ashehri2000. :wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one.

Peter

Does anyone thing this will be compatible with the current MFT at any level? I too use my phone and MFT simultaneously but this looks more along the lines of what I'm wanting.

I highly doubt it. Not beating a dead house, but the appLink update that never came tells me that hardware probably wouldn't support it.

if this can be enabled to existing models or not?

Not likely to be enabled on existing models. It's likely that Apple will require the manufacturers to license an auth chip (like third party accessories are required to do). MFT does not have this chip built in. Unless Apple and Ford strike some odd deal, it isn't likely that past hardware will support the future functionality with Apple. This is something that you will likely only see in future models.

Apple does this so that it gets a cut of every device on the market. Each car has to have an auth chip to interface w/ Apple devices, so Apple gets a license fee for each car. The hardware portion of this integration helps ensure that people won't be able to create their own CarPlay devices/screens.

There is no way to confirm this is the way it has been implemented, but it's very likely.

I highly doubt it. Not beating a dead house, but the appLink update that never came tells me that hardware probably wouldn't support it.

Hardware would support it, but Apple and/or Ford won't.

The first non Chinese replacement for MFT that hits the market I'm buying 2... It has to be able to be done. I wish someone would just do it already. I like everything else about my EX besides the entertainment side.

Not likely to be enabled on existing models. It's likely that Apple will require the manufacturers to license an auth chip (like third party accessories are required to do). MFT does not have this chip built in. Unless Apple and Ford strike some odd deal, it isn't likely that past hardware will support the future functionality with Apple. This is something that you will likely only see in future models.

Apple does this so that it gets a cut of every device on the market. Each car has to have an auth chip to interface w/ Apple devices, so Apple gets a license fee for each car. The hardware portion of this integration helps ensure that people won't be able to create their own CarPlay devices/screens.

There is no way to confirm this is the way it has been implemented, but it's very likely.

Also this is how they will sell more cars, if you want it, you need to buy the latest models equipped with the feature package you want, they are not going to offer a backwards compatible integration onto a MSFT platform, and likely, cannot do so anyway...
However the aftermarket may be able to do something, there are already some cool options that can turn on MFTs potential, front or rear cam viewing while driving, nav and media options exceeding MFTs built in options, etc., while retaining OEM MFT functions and integration with the cars HVAC.

iGo Primo Navigation to Ford MyTouch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7zDRLGZtQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7zDRLGZtQ

Ford/Lincoln SYNC Integrated Solution For Kenwood DN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2tDpWUeq20

MFT Lockpick

https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

MFT add in options
http://gm-navigation.com/ford-navigations/mytouch-gps-navigation-system.html/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back