• Register Today It's free!

Remote start issues

TomTomNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I have the 2011 Explorer Limited with the remote start. Never had a problem. Now, a year later, I am unable to start my truck on the first go. I hit the same combinations of buttons as I have been for a year, but now I just get the lights to flick on and off (engine does not try to start). The second time I try it, the truck starts up. It's consistently the second or third attempt, never the first. I took it to the dealer who said nothing is wrong and it started up for them. I told them, yes because it's now the second, third, etc. time you are attempting it. Not sure how long the car has to sit, but when it sits for a good amount of time, the first attempt of remotely starting the truck does not work and only the light flick on and off. They changed the battery in both remotes, but still the issue continues. Since it starts the second time around it's not really a big deal, but I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're just holding it wrong ;)

Hey, it worked for Apple as an excuse, didn't it? :D

That is a curious problem though. With the lights blinking, the car obviously is getting the command. I assume the manual doesn't say anything about those blinking lights being a code for something? Or have you run a vehicle health report to see if it says anything?

Keep us posted.

i've had a couple of failed attempts to remote start. as you mentioned, it's when the car has been sitting for a while (like during my 10hr work shift)... two days in a row, i went to remote start and the lights blinked but never started....and even when i got closer to try to start it remotely, it didn't do anything. it just honked when i hit the lock button.....it starts right up though when i get in and press brake pedal and push start button....

Welcome to the new world of electronic gadgetry! :salute:

Which lights are flicking on and off? The vehicle? Or the remote?

Which lights are flicking on and off? The vehicle? Or the remote?
There are no lights on the OEM key fob with the remore start.

Peter

Been using the remote start for about 1 year now. No issues here. Same batteries, too.

Might want to try new batteries. I had that problem sometimes with my aftermarket remote start. Once the batteries were weak, the car still got the signal but maybe not the entire signal. Hence the lights blinking but the X not starting. I've had similar issues with the remote for my home audio components. Some buttons worked, some didn't, I replaced those cheap batteries that came with the component and everything worked.

Worth a try anyway since it won't cost much.

It's the yellow parking lights that come on and off. The same lights that stay on when the car finally started remotely.

No error message and the dealer said they checked everything out and it looks fine.

oh well. Not a big deal

I don't have it in front of me, but the lights do mean something with the honking. After a certain number of failed attempts or something it will blink and then give the honk.

I like the idea above about the battery, first thing I would try. The dealer may not replicate because they are trying it from 5 ft away in the shop and the weak battery is able to work at that range.

I have the 2011 Explorer Limited with the remote start. Never had a problem. Now, a year later, I am unable to start my truck on the first go. I hit the same combinations of buttons as I have been for a year, but now I just get the lights to flick on and off (engine does not try to start). The second time I try it, the truck starts up. It's consistently the second or third attempt, never the first. I took it to the dealer who said nothing is wrong and it started up for them. I told them, yes because it's now the second, third, etc. time you are attempting it. Not sure how long the car has to sit, but when it sits for a good amount of time, the first attempt of remotely starting the truck does not work and only the light flick on and off. They changed the battery in both remotes, but still the issue continues. Since it starts the second time around it's not really a big deal, but I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue?

Might want to try new batteries. I had that problem sometimes with my aftermarket remote start. Once the batteries were weak, the car still got the signal but maybe not the entire signal. Hence the lights blinking but the X not starting. I've had similar issues with the remote for my home audio components. Some buttons worked, some didn't, I replaced those cheap batteries that came with the component and everything worked.

Worth a try anyway since it won't cost much.

I don't have it in front of me, but the lights do mean something with the honking. After a certain number of failed attempts or something it will blink and then give the honk.

I like the idea above about the battery, first thing I would try. The dealer may not replicate because they are trying it from 5 ft away in the shop and the weak battery is able to work at that range.

You guys need to read better!:)

Yes it's not a batery problem.

Mine just developed the problem of not being able to remote start this week. Tried the spare remote and same issue you see the lights blink when it locks and hitting the 2X button twice yields no start with eventually going to a beep. Everything was working for a year just like TomTomNJ case then the system went south.

Mine just developed the problem of not being able to remote start this week. Tried the spare remote and same issue you see the lights blink when it locks and hitting the 2X button twice yields no start with eventually going to a beep. Everything was working for a year just like TomTomNJ case then the system went south.
Did you verify that the remote start option was set to ON in your settings? I've had some setting change on me at times.

Peter

Yes tried that and everything was set correctly, going to let it sit overnite and try the spare again, hoping its just a battery issue.

For some strange reason it's now working fine. Go figure.

Appears to be battery related, replaced both with fresh set though the spare is never used seems to be working. Suprised these went so quick as I have gotten 2 years out of batteries in other vehicle transmitters with more frequent clicking then this fob gets.

Appears to be battery related, replaced both with fresh set though the spare is never used seems to be working. Suprised these went so quick as I have gotten 2 years out of batteries in other vehicle transmitters with more frequent clicking then this fob gets.

Except this fob is always transmitting so the car can see it when you get close. My old car had a similar key and I had to replace it a little over a year after owning it.

Sorry for reviving this thread but my 2013 Limited started experiencing this problem as well. Everything that people have described I am experiencing.

One thing further I tried was I get into the car and push the start button to manually start it and it starts no problem. Then I push it again to stop the engine. After that, I tried the remote start, it works...

This has happened to me twice and both were on really cold days -20C. The weird thing is, on other cold days, it works so...go figure.

I'm just wondering if replacing the batteries in the fob and in the car did the trick. I'm a bit skeptical as my battery is basically only a year old...

Thanks
X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for reviving this thread but my 2013 Limited started experiencing this problem as well. Everything that people have described I am experiencing.

One thing further I tried was I get into the car and push the start button to manually start it and it starts no problem. Then I push it again to stop the engine. After that, I tried the remote start, it works...

This has happened to me twice and both were on really cold days -20C. The weird thing is, on other cold days, it works so...go figure.

I'm just wondering if replacing the batteries in the fob and in the car did the trick. I'm a bit skeptical as my battery is basically only a year old...

Thanks
X
When you weren't able to remote start it, did you try more than once? I know that sometimes I have to do the sequence twice to get it to start. Sometimes it will go on the first try. I'm sure it is the way I'm doing it that is the issue although I try to ensure I push the buttons with the same pauses. Electronic gadgets!;)

Peter

Back