Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

I did this mod tonight. Front and rear from eBay guy. Both easy. Rear is cover with vinyl on back and just goes over rear emblem. Front, remove the 8 bolts holding radiator plastic in on top and the 2 plastic press pins. Pull grill forward to get to the 2 10mm bolts holding emblem in. Undo bolts and set aside. I used harbor freight red emblem removers and slid them in the gap. Prior to this I used a hair dryer on the emblem for 10 mins. Popped right off and put the black emblem in. Held on with the double sided tape. The studs for the nuts were too short to put the nuts on so it's held on with just the tape. It's not going anywhere

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Harbor freight $9.99

image_13527.jpg

Got the back emblem off, and lookin to wrap it with a custom graphic. Problem I'm running in to is that the F-o-r-d lettering is embossed above the blue oval. So when I try to wrap the oval with the vinyl, the "Ford" still shows through.

How do the overlays y'all have ordered get around this?

The overlays are made of tin or are a gel material so it would hide the ford embossing.

Thanks. I wonder if I could throw a gel, or some sort of substance over the rest of oval in order to negate the embossing. I wouldn't want to ruin the badge in case I ever sell it tho.

Maybe rubber cement? That seems maybe too difficult to remove. The substance would need to be spreadable, dry hard enough to not give way, not crack / breakdown, be somewhat easily removable when desired, and allow vinyl to adhere to it :eek:

Open to suggestions!!

Thanks. I wonder if I could throw a gel, or some sort of substance over the rest of oval in order to negate the embossing. I wouldn't want to ruin the badge in case I ever sell it tho.

Maybe rubber cement? That seems maybe too difficult to remove. The substance would need to be spreadable, dry hard enough to not give way, not crack / breakdown, be somewhat easily removable when desired, and allow vinyl to adhere to it :eek:

Open to suggestions!!

You could try silicone if you put the vinyl on while its still wet it may even act as an additional adhesive. I used silicone to attach my rear badge to the tailgate.

Buy a gel overlay. DMB Graphics. Problem solved. It sticks on and comes off easily.

Silicone seems like it might be a bit difficult to work with and get to lay completely flat / level. also, it doesnt dry totally hard, does it? maybe I'm not thinkin of the same thing as you. i'm thinkin of the stuff like that is used to seal bathroom tubs?

[MENTION=206545]broken strut[/MENTION]- i'm not lookin for an off the shelf solution... i have a custom graphic already printed on vinyl. thanks for the suggestion tho! ps. how you liking the livernois 91 tune? i'll be lookin to get tuned after my first service.

Love the tune. Provides more jump to an engine that was already awesome.

[MENTION=206545]broken strut[/MENTION]- i'm not lookin for an off the shelf solution... i have a custom graphic already printed on vinyl. thanks for the suggestion tho! ps. how you liking the livernois 91 tune? i'll be lookin to get tuned after my first service.[/QUOTE]

?? Post in wrong thread??

Peter

Nope. See the bold lettering above.......:D

[MENTION=206545]broken strut[/MENTION]- i'm not lookin for an off the shelf solution... i have a custom graphic already printed on vinyl. thanks for the suggestion tho! ps. how you liking the livernois 91 tune? i'll be lookin to get tuned after my first service.

?? Post in wrong thread??

Peter

Nope. See the bold lettering above.......:D[/QUOTE]Got it now. I guess I missed the last part. Time to take the dog for a walk and clear my head I guess.

Peter

No problems Peter. Keep up the awesome work you're doing on the Forum. You are very helpful to a lot of people. Thanks.

I tried my hand at replacing the front emblem and let me tell you, I was nervous as hell. I didn't want to break anything. But after removing the 2 nuts in the rear and using a plastic putty knife and a little bit of force as suggested in the earlier threads, it popped out without me having to remove the grill.

Now on to the rear emblem. I noticed there is a rubber outline of the emblem or a piece of rubber that acts as a base for the emblem. I would like to know if that rubber comes off or does the emblem come off of the rubber. Thanks for any help provided.

I tried my hand at replacing the front emblem and let me tell you, I was nervous as hell. I didn't want to break anything. But after removing the 2 nuts in the rear and using a plastic putty knife and a little bit of force as suggested in the earlier threads, it popped out without me having to remove the grill. Now on to the rear emblem. I noticed there is a rubber outline of the emblem or a piece of rubber that acts as a base for the emblem. I would like to know if that rubber comes off or does the emblem come off of the rubber. Thanks for any help provided.

Where did you get the emblems? Are they gel?

I tried my hand at replacing the front emblem and let me tell you, I was nervous as hell. I didn't want to break anything. But after removing the 2 nuts in the rear and using a plastic putty knife and a little bit of force as suggested in the earlier threads, it popped out without me having to remove the grill.

Now on to the rear emblem. I noticed there is a rubber outline of the emblem or a piece of rubber that acts as a base for the emblem. I would like to know if that rubber comes off or does the emblem come off of the rubber. Thanks for any help provided.

Rubber n all comes off. But its a pain in the ass. Like I've heard the front is, the rear uses a very strong adhesive. No screws, but there a couple "rivets". Once removed, 3 holes are left in the body of the vehicle where the rivets were.

I'm in Vegas for the weekend, but I'll post pics when i get back. I'm thinking about not putting the badge back on and simply applying a custom vinyl graphic on the body itself.

Rubber n all comes off. But its a pain in the ass. Like I've heard the front is, the rear uses a very strong adhesive. No screws, but there a couple "rivets". Once removed, 3 holes are left in the body of the vehicle where the rivets were.

I'm in Vegas for the weekend, but I'll post pics when i get back. I'm thinking about not putting the badge back on and simply applying a custom vinyl graphic on the body itself.

Ok, thanks. I may just put the new rear emblem over the stock emblem. Your pics will help me make that decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, thanks. I may just put the new rear emblem over the stock emblem. Your pics will help me make that decision.

I would recommend removing the stock blue ford logo from the rear plastic holder. It is glued on there fairly well but a little heat will help things along. If you do not remove it you are left with a thin chrome circle around the whole emblem.

I have attached a picture of mine with the stock emblem removed from the backing.
20140427_091644.jpg

Back