Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Benny,

You indicate this is only for 13/14 explorers, however it looks like bradleyls103 successfully installed these on an 11XLT. Is it safe to assume this package would apply to my 2011 limited as well?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes, we have updated them to read this on our site. We initially were using the 13/14 for research purposes.

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Brake Fluid

I've seen some fluid Q's tossed around and thought I would share some of my understanding on brake fluid in case anyone is interested.

DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 are all Glycol based, so they will all eat your paint...however, this doesn't expressly mean they are interchangeable. The likelihood of having an issue caused by mixing them is relatively low, but since we're talking about performance and pushing brakes to their limit, we should observe the specs...and that's to say that different grades shouldn't be mixed.
Another good / bad about being glycol based they absorb H2O. The good is that you won't end up with potentially corrosive pockets of water in your brake fluid, the bad is that the more water it absorbs, the lower your boiling point gets.

Boiling point ranges:
Dry boiling point Wet boiling point
DOT 3 205 °C (401 °F) 140 °C (284 °F)
DOT 4 230 °C (446 °F) 155 °C (311 °F)
DOT 5 260 °C (500 °F) 180 °C (356 °F)
DOT 5.1 260 °C (500 °F) 180 °C (356 °F)

"Wet boiling point" is defined as having 3.7% water by volume rather than being pure fluid. So in the typical 500ml brake system, the addition of 18.5ml of water reduces the boiling point considerably. That being said; a teaspoon is *roughly* 5ml...so you're talking about 4 teaspoons of water in your brake lines.

DOT 5.0 unlike the others above is silicone based; b/c of this it doesn't absorb water, so the boiling point remains constant, buuut could lead to isolated pure water pockets in your fluid if exposure were to occur.

Combining glycol fluid with silicone fluid is no bueno. I've heard rumor that it can turn your brake fluid into jelly after intense heat exposure...this, I can't prove. But I can say for sure that there's a good chance you'll FUBAR your seals.

As for the big deal with boiling points; after your fluid reaches its BP due to heavy braking exposure, it turns from a purposeful liquid into a useless gas, and loses it's hydraulic properties. With that comes a lack of pressure and useless brakes, since they're not designed to work as a pneumatic system.

Question on the warranty.

So if you are to purchase the kit from LevittownFordSuperCenter that are Ford Parts and have a Ford shop install them, will your warranty still be covered? Only ask this question as I just received my 14' XLT and don't want to void my warranty

I am sure Ford would love to take your money and I would presume that a Ford OEM part on thier vehicle installed by thier techs should be covered. Certainly a question for the service department and something I would either have explicity explained or in writing just in case.

A lot can go wrong if the vehicle can't stop...

So if you are to purchase the kit from LevittownFordSuperCenter that are Ford Parts and have a Ford shop install them, will your warranty still be covered? Only ask this question as I just received my 14' XLT and don't want to void my warranty

Although these are all genuine Ford parts they are not originally equipped on your vehicle as the VIN will show therefore they would not be covered by your vehicle's warranty. They would not void your warranty either.

-Benny

Although these are all genuine Ford parts they are not originally equipped on your vehicle as the VIN will show therefore they would not be covered by your vehicle's warranty. They would not void your warranty either.

-Benny

So My 14 sport already has the bigger brakes, same as the interceptor? or is there a kit that has even larger rotors then my 14 sport? Thanks

For wheel size requirements, given most OEM wheels, the wheels need to be more than 3" larger than the rotors. Ford usually uses rotors which are just under an inch increment, like 11.8" or 12.8" etc. Aftermarket rotor/brake kits often come sized closer to an inch increment or just over it, like 13.0" etc.

The common Mustang 13" rotors of recent past are too large for 16" wheels to be used. If they had made them just a hair smaller, 12.75" rotors will fit inside most OEM 16" wheels.

So if those new police spec rotors are 13.8" actual size, then many 17" OEM wheels could fit. Just my observation from swapping old Ford brakes and building my own custom brakes. I have 16" snow tires on OEM Limited wheels I use for my "old" 98 Mountaineer, with 12.75" rotors.

Those are great prices for OEM parts. I have a customer policeman who recently got the new Explorer. I'll have to lean over and take a look at those brakes in the next few days. Regards,

The Interceptor and Sport utilize the same brake hardware at this time

-Benny

Does a John Q Public like myself have access to the pads used on the Interceptors? Do you sell them, based on this thread they are a different material right? I'd gladly give up some rotor life for a pad with more bite and less fade.

Does a John Q Public like myself have access to the pads used on the Interceptors? Do you sell them, based on this thread they are a different material right? I'd gladly give up some rotor life for a pad with more bite and less fade.
According to post 107, you already have the same brake hardware as the Interceptor.

Peter

The customer/policeman I have invited me to check out his Explorer, and he didn't know much about it. He commented a lot about the power though, he said they would fly.

I think(I was too rushed to look yesterday) his truck has 17" wheels though, black steel with a large hubcap that doesn't show much of the brakes.

BTW, does anyone know how much the larger front rotor weighs? Are they 15lbs, 20lbs, or what?
I would like to know to compare with the aftermarket choices which I will have when I select new pieces for my new calipers(I have to make brackets again). I can stick with my 12.75" x 1.25" rotors and fit my 16" snow tires/wheels on them. Or if the bigger 13.75" x 1.375" isn't too heavy I could consider that, knowing that 17" wheels would have to be used.

So based on everything I'm reading here, the "standard" brakes for 2011+ Explorers are of the small variety and the "heavy duty" brakes are of the large variety?

I've perused several automotive parts websites and thats how they list the brakes for 2011+ Explorers, putting in whether or not its a Sport doesn't drilldown any further, so you basically have to know if you've got the larger brakes or not when buying parts. Unless of course you go to a shop to have the work done.

According to post 107, you already have the same brake hardware as the Interceptor.

Peter

Yes, it has been established that the rotors and calipers are the same as on the sport, however without reading back thru every post Peter because, well, I do have a life outside ofbthe internet, it was established early on that the Interceptor units get a specific (pursuit rated was it?) pad for severe duty.

So based on everything I'm reading here, the "standard" brakes for 2011+ Explorers are of the small variety and the "heavy duty" brakes are of the large variety?

I've perused several automotive parts websites and thats how they list the brakes for 2011+ Explorers, putting in whether or not its a Sport doesn't drilldown any further, so you basically have to know if you've got the larger brakes or not when buying parts. Unless of course you go to a shop to have the work done.
I believe that the larger brakes were installed on the 2013 models at mid year production and on all subsequent models. Not sure if that is what they refer to as 'heavy duty' or not.

Peter

Yes, it has been established that the rotors and calipers are the same as on the sport, however without reading back thru every post Peter because, well, I do have a life outside ofbthe internet, it was established early on that the Interceptor units get a specific (pursuit rated was it?) pad for severe duty.
Perhaps the following thread will help. Easily found it using the 'Search' program. It shows pads used on the Police version.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373388&highlight=pads

Peter

Hey guys the pads we sell with our kit are the HD version, Here is the breakdown:

Front Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2001E
Motorcraft # BRF1435

Front Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford# DG1Z2001D
Motorcraft# BRF41

Rear Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1383

Rear Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford # EG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1447

-Benny

Hi Peter, I just got another look at them today and they match the other wheel, post #70 in that thread. Does that mean that they are 18's, I didn't get out and read the tire. I'll see what size they are later. It's a black steel five large hole wheel. That other wheel hides the brakes even more.

Both the Sedan Interceptor and the Utility Interceptor utilize the same 18" wheels , Some more detail can be found here http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/features/#/performance/performance_07/

We offer these wheels for sale here if anyone is interested http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-police-interceptor-wheel-p-2295.html

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Benny. I haven't dealt with any police cars since I quit using them to deliver mail, and went with my 93 Explorer. They are a great source of parts, and tires(I should check them out).

My best friend wants to buy my old 95 Crown Vic P71 for hauling his dog around. I'm going to help him to find an old K9 police car to get the rear interior parts, to put in mine.

Back