Would you buy again? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you buy again?

As for the MPG being only 1 less, I wouldn't count on that, if only for the reason that a fun or fast car gets driven harder because it is fun and fast. You don't buy a more powerful vehicle to drive it like an old lady! :D

I agree.... After having our 2011 Limited for a little over two years then upgrading to a 2014 Sport we definitely drive it much....ummm... More enthusiastically....

That said, same drivers, driving the Sport vs. Limited in the same suburban area, we some how have gained 1.5 MPG.

I'd also like to add, when you are driving it, feels like a heck of a lot more than just 75 more HP. It's like having a monster under the hood, vs a nice mild and tame pony....:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can thank torque and the numbers behind the curve for that Ajar. Peak numbers are only a really part of the engines rating!

Both the standard 3.5 V6, the ecoboost 3.5 V6 TT, and the 2.0 ecoboost are all direct injection.

This is false, the standard 3.5 V6 uses standard sequential multiport fuel injection, no DI to worry about. The Ecoboost's use DI.

We leased a 2013 EX almost exactly a year and 9K miles ago. While we haven't had any real mechanical issues, we have had lots of build quality issues. Things like the dashboard not lining up to the doors, bubbles/stuff under the paint in 4-5 spots, trim coming lose, rattles etc.

I do need to bring it in for a ticking noise while accelerating. Sounds like something in the transmission or maybe a leaky exhaust header, it's very annoying unless you have the radio above level 4.

I have the dreaded "exhaust in the cabin smell" issue too. If you haven't already, please read up on the issue. If you do buy a EX test it thoroughly on delivery for the smell, it's not fun to live with and 90% of the reason our EX is getting turned in when the lease is up.

Maybe the 2016 will be better.... Overall we like the function of the EX but all the little issues kind of killed this ownership/lease experience. If I could go back in time I would of done more research and test drove a wider variety of SUV's before deciding on the EX. It's handsome looks swayed my decision. :)

This is false, the standard 3.5 V6 uses standard sequential multiport fuel injection, no DI to worry about. The Ecoboost's use DI.

We leased a 2013 EX almost exactly a year and 9K miles ago. While we haven't had any real mechanical issues, we have had lots of build quality issues. Things like the dashboard not lining up to the doors, bubbles/stuff under the paint in 4-5 spots, trim coming lose, rattles etc.

I do need to bring it in for a ticking noise while accelerating. Sounds like something in the transmission or maybe a leaky exhaust header, it's very annoying unless you have the radio above level 4.

I have the dreaded "exhaust in the cabin smell" issue too. If you haven't already, please read up on the issue. If you do buy a EX test it thoroughly on delivery for the smell, it's not fun to live with and 90% of the reason our EX is getting turned in when the lease is up.

Maybe the 2016 will be better.... Overall we like the function of the EX but all the little issues kind of killed this ownership/lease experience. If I could go back in time I would of done more research and test drove a wider variety of SUV's before deciding on the EX. It's handsome looks swayed my decision. :)

That stinks. I've heard of the exhaust in the cabin smell issue. Is that the same as the "catalytic converter burning in" smell, or are those different? There was a very strong burning smell on my wife's test drive. It didn't happen on mine (two different dealerships). The one salesman said it goes away after a couple hundred miles.

I had two salesmen, both at different dealerships, say the exhaust in the cabin smell issue was prevalent in 2011 and 2012, with some but a lot less problems in 2013. Both said the 2014s have been fine in that regard from what they know. They are salesmen, but seemed honest, for what it is worth.

I will be sure to look at gaps in body panels, paint, etc. when the time comes.

I agree.... After having our 2011 Limited for a little over two years then upgrading to a 2014 Sport we definitely drive it much....ummm... More enthusiastically....

That said, same drivers, driving the Sport vs. Limited in the same suburban area, we some how have gained 1.5 MPG.

I'd also like to add, when you are driving it, feels like a heck of a lot more than just 75 more HP. It's like having a monster under the hood, vs a nice mild and tame pony....:D

That's the beauty of turbocharging. More power, better gas mileage.

Not necessarily so. The Ecoboost 3.5L V6 is rated 1 mpg less than the AWD 3.5L N/A engine. The 'better mileage' is usually a comparison between a V8 engine that is replaced with the Ecoboost V6. More HP usually = less MPG

Peter

Not necessarily so. The Ecoboost 3.5L V6 is rated 1 mpg less than the AWD 3.5L N/A engine. The 'better mileage' is usually a comparison between a V8 engine that is replaced with the Ecoboost V6. More HP usually = less MPG

Peter

And how much more HP are you getting for 1 mpg less fuel economy with the Ecoboost 3.5L V6 compared to the 3.5L NA engine? A single or smaller sized turbo with lower compression will provide more HP and better fuel economy than the same size NA engine.
So the Sport gets 75 more HP for 1 less MPG. Take out one of those turbos and I could see 35 more HP and 5 more mpg.

The way I see it, getting 75 more HP and only losing 1 mpg is better fuel economy by power ratio.

And how much more HP are you getting for 1 mpg less fuel economy with the Ecoboost 3.5L V6 compared to the 3.5L NA engine? A single or smaller sized turbo with lower compression will provide more HP and better fuel economy than the same size NA engine.
So the Sport gets 75 more HP for 1 less MPG. Take out one of those turbos and I could see 35 more HP and 5 more mpg.

The way I see it, getting 75 more HP and only losing 1 mpg is better fuel economy by power ratio.

Peter,

Why did you edit my post and put the BOLD in?

We would not buy another Explorer (or any other Ford for that matter). While the car drives nicely, is comfortable on road trips, and has lots of neat gadgets, we have had too many problems and too many trips to the dealership to justify giving Ford anymore of our hard earned money. This car could have been awesome, but in the end it is just a disappointment. You can read up on the Gray Ghost in our thread.

It seems a number of folks really enjoy their explorers, and if you get one I hope it serves you well.

As for the MPG being only 1 less, I wouldn't count on that, if only for the reason that a fun or fast car gets driven harder because it is fun and fast. You don't buy a more powerful vehicle to drive it like an old lady! :D

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement as well. This is one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. From my experience, probably the last Ford as well ........ We learn from experience ...... I did! :salute:

Peter,

Why did you edit my post and put the BOLD in?
Sorry. I was going to respond to that statement in a reply but changed my mind. The 'Bold" was entered on the wrong post and I forgot to change it back.

Peter

Sorry. I was going to respond to that statement in a reply but changed my mind. The 'Bold" was entered on the wrong post and I forgot to change it back.

Peter

No prob.

Well, I stand corrected then on the 3.5 V6 which I had thought was DI also!

That stinks. I've heard of the exhaust in the cabin smell issue. Is that the same as the "catalytic converter burning in" smell, or are those different? There was a very strong burning smell on my wife's test drive. It didn't happen on mine (two different dealerships). The one salesman said it goes away after a couple hundred miles.

I had two salesmen, both at different dealerships, say the exhaust in the cabin smell issue was prevalent in 2011 and 2012, with some but a lot less problems in 2013. Both said the 2014s have been fine in that regard from what they know. They are salesmen, but seemed honest, for what it is worth.

I will be sure to look at gaps in body panels, paint, etc. when the time comes.

It sure does stink! It's hard to describe... Have you ever smelled the chemicals a woman uses to dye her hair? It smells like that mixed with strong exhaust, not pleasant one bit.

Mine did it on the test drive also, my sales woman said the same thing. " some 2011-2012's have a issue that was corrected" is what she told me, I didn't think anything of it until a few thousand miles after ownership and it hadn't subsided.

Good point on the panel gaps, I forgot to add that my rear bumper is separating from where it meets up with the body on the rear quarter panel on both sides. It droops maybe 1/8-1/4" or so creating a pretty big foot long gap between the bumper and body. Add that to my list of things to have them look at if I ever bring it in again for the exhaust smell...ERG...

Also, I'm not trying to bash the EX, it is a really nice vehicle and we love the design/functionality of it. It's just plagued with quality issues. IMO the QA team on the assembly line or engineering dept need to step up their game. No new car owner ( especially a first time Ford owner like in my case) wants to deal with all these little issues, it completely wrecks the experience. When I go car shopping in 2016 and am standing on the Ford lot in awe over the cool new EX or whatever, I'm going to be plagued with memories of the issues my 2013 had... Will it stop me from buying another Ford? Probably not however, it may sway my decision to another make.

ANYWAYS, if you do buy a new EX please just check it out REALLY good on delivery. Things you wouldn't think to check for on a new vehicle you have to on the EX.

My theory on it is if you are an aggressive driver your fuel economy will go through the roof...because you won't have to beat the engine as much.

All these people complaining about the poor gas mileage on the "baby ecoboost" version...well duhhh!
Less power means it has to work harder and you have to press the peddle down further to get going anywhere...at the end of the day you will use about the same amount of energy unless of course you drive like an old lady anyway. Maybe on the highway the baby ecoboost will get better mileage but around town is where it's really not going to make much of a difference.

To give an example of how more torque results in less fuel consumption:
My previous vehicle was a 2011 Chevy Equinox, 3.0L V6, AWD, more aerodynamic and 1000lbs lighter.
260hp & 220lbs torque.
I would average 12.5-13.5 L/100km combined, My best ever was 10.2L/100 on a continuous 6hr highway drive to Montreal.
Around town I had to beat this engine and redline it often to get going anywhere.

Explorer Sport
So far lifetime 13.6L combined and on the highway cruising at 110km/hr I average about 9.8L/100km
The kicker is, I got this in Nov and has been a long cold winter in Canada. So this vehicle has
1. Many long warm ups in the morning severely increasing that lifetime 13.6L/100 reading...this will get significantly better in the warmer weather.
2. Winter gas & longer time to get to full engine temp anyway.
3. Winter tires, which decrease fuel efficiency further.
4. Has 9k on it now, the first 5k was breaking in which gets less fuel economy.

All things being equal this Sport with 100 more HP and 130lbs more torque, plus 1000lbs heavier and less aerodynamic get the same mileage combined and way better mileage on the highway. And in the summer these figures should get even better.

On my sport I can comfortably get around town revving to no more than about 4000rpm's. Rarely have to beat it and redline

On my sport I can comfortably get around town revving to no more than about 4000rpm's. Rarely have to beat it and redline
4000 RPM!! I rarely hit 2500.

Peter

4000 RPM!! I rarely hit 2500.

Peter

Not all the time, but my point is when I do want a rather quick acceleration (and for any driver who is more aggressive)...this vehicle gets going no problem without having to really push it above 4000rpm's whereas most other vehicles require a redline :)

End result...better fuel economy for drivers who have a heavier foot.

It sure does stink! It's hard to describe... Have you ever smelled the chemicals a woman uses to dye her hair? It smells like that mixed with strong exhaust, not pleasant one bit.

Mine did it on the test drive also, my sales woman said the same thing. " some 2011-2012's have a issue that was corrected" is what she told me, I didn't think anything of it until a few thousand miles after ownership and it hadn't subsided.

Good point on the panel gaps, I forgot to add that my rear bumper is separating from where it meets up with the body on the rear quarter panel on both sides. It droops maybe 1/8-1/4" or so creating a pretty big foot long gap between the bumper and body. Add that to my list of things to have them look at if I ever bring it in again for the exhaust smell...ERG...

Also, I'm not trying to bash the EX, it is a really nice vehicle and we love the design/functionality of it. It's just plagued with quality issues. IMO the QA team on the assembly line or engineering dept need to step up their game. No new car owner ( especially a first time Ford owner like in my case) wants to deal with all these little issues, it completely wrecks the experience. When I go car shopping in 2016 and am standing on the Ford lot in awe over the cool new EX or whatever, I'm going to be plagued with memories of the issues my 2013 had... Will it stop me from buying another Ford? Probably not however, it may sway my decision to another make.

ANYWAYS, if you do buy a new EX please just check it out REALLY good on delivery. Things you wouldn't think to check for on a new vehicle you have to on the EX.

Definitely looks like there are some things to look out for. That seems to be the thing: not a lot of people have issues, but there are definitely some quality control issues to be found with these Explorers, even in the fourth model year of the new design.

Just for kicks I stopped in a Toyota dealer and looked at the new Highlander. Expensive and not that nice - technology in the redesigned 2014 wasn't much different than my 2010 Equinox (and miles behind the Ex), materials felt cheap, especially the seats. The third row MIGHT fit a 4 year old. Low on cargo space. I have no idea how it is rated more cargo space than the Ex, it is much smaller.

Definitely looks like there are some things to look out for. That seems to be the thing: not a lot of people have issues, but there are definitely some quality control issues to be found with these Explorers, even in the fourth model year of the new design.

Just for kicks I stopped in a Toyota dealer and looked at the new Highlander. Expensive and not that nice - technology in the redesigned 2014 wasn't much different than my 2010 Equinox (and miles behind the Ex), materials felt cheap, especially the seats. The third row MIGHT fit a 4 year old. Low on cargo space. I have no idea how it is rated more cargo space than the Ex, it is much smaller.

I went to the auto show this year and sat in a few Toyota's. The Avalon/Camry were nice but the rest of their lineup did feel very cheap and "plasticy" like you said, I would never buy one.

Check out the new GMC Acadia and or Chevy traverse, they were very impressive. The Durango is cool looking but felt a little chintzy. I might get flogged for saying this but the Hyundai Santa Fe was really nice and super comfortable, worth a look for sure....

BUT, the EX is hard to beat as far as value for your money, best looking of the bunch too, I always turn heads driving around in it. Also IMO the standard 3.5 V6 is actually really peppy and a all round good performer. It will really surprise you how much power it lays down if you "goose" it.

I came from a Buick Enclave and looked seriously at a '14 as a replacement. I ended up in the Explorer Limited due to it having more features for a sticker price $3K less than the Enclave. The seats and viewing angles are better in the Explorer vs the GM Lambdas(Enclave, Acadia, Traverse) IMHO.

The 3rd row is better in the GM offerings but the access mechanism is nice but easily clogged with debris. The Explorer flip flip access will be more reliable in the long term.

Power fold flat 3rd row is a nice feature that GM doesnt offer.

The Enclave on the outside is more luxurious looking (IMHO) but the Explorer was a better value for us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back