new JLT Oil Separator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new JLT Oil Separator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I am always looking at ways to improve my Ex, I look at everything here. In this case, I have to really wonder the benefit? I wonder at my advanced age and every vehicle I have owned, why I have never heard of or seen this being done.

That said, I am not negating doing this, just questioning and I am sure with someone's reply, learning.

Thank you for pointing me to the article. I honestly never really knew about this.

Now, that said, it seems like it is more inline with someone with a turbo, ie: all the Sports, is that correct. I simply have the stock engine, 3.5 or 3.7 I think it is, from 2011.

Yes, correct. The turbo's benefit the most from an oil catch can.
But if you are going to put high milage on a non-turbo, I would definitely consider this. Relatively inexpensive preventative maintenance.

I'm at 30k miles now and hope to hold on to the Ex for many years to come so I guess it would be prudent to look at this. I just put on the K&N FIPK so it might be even more of a good idea to invest a little more in my toy.

JLT has shipped it already today! Quick! I'm in Dallas Til Tuesday. Looks like I have a small project to do Wednesday.

This looks like one of the easier mods you can do for your ride that really improves the longevity. One has to wonder why they don't put it on the car. Oh wait, that was a dumb comment! LOL I'll have to look at this when I can afford another mod. Just bought a K&N FIPK.

Hey corpflyboy...............
Great! Would you be so kind to post your install notes? I am waiting a couple of weeks until it warms up here in Michigan to order and install. This mod seems like a no brainier, looking forward to your comments.

hey corpflyboy...............
Great! Would you be so kind to post your install notes? I am waiting a couple of weeks until it warms up here in michigan to order and install. This mod seems like a no brainier, looking forward to your comments.

10-4

Jlt installed

Hello,

I have installed the separator today.

Very easy.

Directions are straight forward.

If you are not happy with the black and white pics that come on the instructions just go online to where you ordered the part and there is a link to connect to color photos and instructions.

There is wiggle room for where you mount it on the passenger side. The 4 inches that are recommended do not have to be exact. Don't fret where the picture in the instructions shows where to mount.

As you will see in the pictures that follow, I added a piece of 3M double sided tape for protecting the one hose from rubbing on the engine cover. No biggy. I tried to manipulate the right hose to avoid rubbing the cover to no avail. I did not want to move hose by moving it closer to the firewall on the backside of that a/c line. It seemed to put too much pressure on the elbow of the plastic fitting.

I have found reason number 2 why Ford added the sound proofed engine cover-Noise! The engine sounds like a Japanese 4 cylinder without the cover on. Worse than a modular mustang. Of course reason number 1 is that the engine looks terrible without it.

All connections are a tight fit and a lil motor oil helps with the install on the rubber hose to plastic connector easement.

No leaks! For a buck nineteen shipped it is a great and easy install.

I personally like this separator since it is like the many typical installs out there already on tons of muscle cars that are either turbo-ed or supercharged. The "Walter White" chemistry type separator that is available for a lot more cash, is interesting, but I would rather put those extra hundred bills towards that SCT tuner once it has been proven by some of you.

JLT1.jpg

JLT2.jpg

JLT3.jpg

JLT4.jpg

JLT5.jpg

JLT6.jpg

JLT7.jpg

JLT8.jpg

this oil separator could technically be installed on an older style ford ranger or explorer with the addition of more hose right?

Corpflyboy..........

Great pics! Thanks for posting. Good tip for the 3M tape.
I think I'm going with the silver cannister to match my Ingot Silver.
Looking forward to doing my install now. Your pics will definitely be a big help.

Nice write up Corpflyboy !!

Thanks you guys!

I still havnt had a drop of oil/gas make it to the bottom of the canister after about 10 WOT and quick to idle runs. The screen is a lil moist but nothing has collected yet. 50 miles of driving so far.

Why is there only an oil separator for the back valve cover? The front valve cover vents directly to the piping going to the intercooler and seems like there should be 2 separators.

Checked the reservoir of the JLT after 2000 miles. A good 2 tablespoons of oil. It works! Was skeptical at first after a few hundred miles and not a drop. Not anymore!

Buzz

Catch cans are legit.. looks like a nice product and a sooner than later investment for myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

catch cans are legit.. if you're autocrossing.

In a transverse V6 arrangement I'd be puzzled how to ingest any oil into the intake tract via the PCV system (or any other system for that matter) in this vehicle.

I have a 2006 Subaru WRX STi, it has a boxer engine and the PCV system is notorious for ingesting oil into the intake tract (thereby reducing octane and increasing knock/fouling).

Back