2015 Ford Explorer Order Guide & Changes | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Order Guide & Changes

Hi Peter, nice meeting you.

I've read the past posts (spent several hours these past evenings). Its the reason why I decided to join and post my concerns. I notice that you're a long standing, helpful and active member, so hello :)

Its a gamble for us since at the end of the day, its a pretty penny to put down on an item that will have almost no residual value after 6 years and that may have serious known flaws... its holding us back.

I'm not happy with the alternatives at the similar price point (Pathfinder, Highlander, MDX, Durango etc). Issue is athleticisim... and I believe that the German vehicles are simply overpriced. They are not invincible as they are perceived to be. To me, the Explorer Sport was closest to the BMW, Audi, VW feel -> Business interior and solid drive feel, good throttle response, great brake feel and a well mated transmission.

It seems to me that my main concern - the fume smell has diminished in terms of postings on this forum over the years but its still there. I also realize that there are always lemons this forum is where a concentration of issues are discussed, amplifying the effect.

However, prior to testing the explorer sport, we test drove a regular version and after 10 minutes following a short highway jaunt, it did start smelling like burnt oil. At the time, I didn't take it as a concern, having smelt burnt oil regularly, usually after spilling some near the filler on my leaky, thirsty, BMW before. This did raise my eyebrow though, after reading the emmisions/smell thread here. My concern is the health of my son. The Explorer Sport we test drove after was fine, albeit I didn't try turning the rear re-circ on.

It looks like I'll need to poke around more at my local ford dealership (where we do our regular servicing and where we purchased our current ride). Hope they will reveal repair info.

Do you know who is the Canadian Ford Rep that's monitoring this site? I would like to forward my concerns there as well.

I believe that honest communication with potential buyers is important. That being said... if a Ford representative who actually has a young family, would say "yes, buy this vehicle, your concerns have been resolved with engineering and the factory floor.. and I drive one too with my family in it".... then it would go a long way in our decision. Maybe I'm just asking for too much in this time and age :p

Cheers,
Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took delivery of a loaded Limited a month ago. 1800 miles later and we have no leaks (its been very snowy and rainy here), no exhaust smell, no steering issues.

The MFT works and is decent. There are a few interface design issues I dont like but so far its been up 99.99999% of the time. Only once did it seem to freeze and 'reboot'. Downtime was less than 20 seconds.

I have a 2014 ltd since 1/27/14 so far no smell nor issue had a 2011 ltd very minor issues once and awhile the smell would happen and a check engine lite it was the ecm , but it was a great ride. All issues where quickly taken care of from my dealership.

Hello,

I am a new member and am interested in purchasing an Explorer Sport for me and my family (wife and infant). Being an engineer, I'm performing my due diligence with forum-based research. I am very surprised at finding certain long standing issues with this generation of the explorer. These issues are troublesome to me and seem to have been present since the first production year of this model, several years ago. My concern is whether they have finally been resolved and what the actual root cause was. These issues, in priority of concern are:

1) Entry of exhaust fumes into the occupant compartment. I consider this poisoning since occupants are in a closed environment. Fluid splatter due to leaks is a quality issue that can be fixed and is not as concerning. Rather, what concerns me, is the apparent phantom problem of emissions being fed back into the recirculation system for "some" vehicles. This is indicative of a larger issue. Has the root cause been determined and fixed?

2) Power steering failure at high speeds. This vehicle will be driven by my wife with my son as occupant. Does potential for steering failure fall into a high enough criticality level that requires a back-up (i.e. a system with reduced temporary function that will prevent total, sudden failure). In aerospace, the introduction of safety aspects into design, firmly based on critically levels, are the norm. What has Ford done about this and are the newer vehicles still failing?

3) Water leaks in rear area, penetration through roof rails or lift gate, with capability of soaking the interior carpeting and seats. Has QA engineering resolved this issue on the production line?

4) My Ford Touch navigation system tracking issues (would buy the navigation package). I just don't want to be disappointed. Is this issue fixed?

5) My Ford Touch general bugs - Is it still buggy to a point where I'll need to do system resets regularly? Shaking my head at the Ford/Microsoft integration teams... I just don't want to be disappointed.

My wife and I have test driven the Explorer Sport and appreciate the overall comfort, feature set, engine performance and driving experience. This is amplified if one takes into consideration the very enticing price point when compared to prices of the Germanic offerings here in Canada. Having already owned a new German sports coupe and having dealt with the eventual maintenance nightmares, we do not want to go back (happy with our current Ford Focus). However, the above issues reported by the forum members here, particularly the exhaust issue, is holding us back from pre-ordering the 2015 Explorer Sport. I would appreciate feedback from Ford, from a technical engineering perspective, regarding my above concerns.

Thank-you,
Mark

2013 Sport 15k miles and haven't experienced none of these issues.

Hi Peter, nice meeting you.

I've read the past posts (spent several hours these past evenings). Its the reason why I decided to join and post my concerns. I notice that you're a long standing, helpful and active member, so hello :)

Its a gamble for us since at the end of the day, its a pretty penny to put down on an item that will have almost no residual value after 6 years and that may have serious known flaws... its holding us back.

I'm not happy with the alternatives at the similar price point (Pathfinder, Highlander, MDX, Durango etc). Issue is athleticisim... and I believe that the German vehicles are simply overpriced. They are not invincible as they are perceived to be. To me, the Explorer Sport was closest to the BMW, Audi, VW feel -> Business interior and solid drive feel, good throttle response, great brake feel and a well mated transmission.

It seems to me that my main concern - the fume smell has diminished in terms of postings on this forum over the years but its still there. I also realize that there are always lemons this forum is where a concentration of issues are discussed, amplifying the effect.

However, prior to testing the explorer sport, we test drove a regular version and after 10 minutes following a short highway jaunt, it did start smelling like burnt oil. At the time, I didn't take it as a concern, having smelt burnt oil regularly, usually after spilling some near the filler on my leaky, thirsty, BMW before. This did raise my eyebrow though, after reading the emmisions/smell thread here. My concern is the health of my son. The Explorer Sport we test drove after was fine, albeit I didn't try turning the rear re-circ on.

It looks like I'll need to poke around more at my local ford dealership (where we do our regular servicing and where we purchased our current ride). Hope they will reveal repair info.

Do you know who is the Canadian Ford Rep that's monitoring this site? I would like to forward my concerns there as well.

I believe that honest communication with potential buyers is important. That being said... if a Ford representative who actually has a young family, would say "yes, buy this vehicle, your concerns have been resolved with engineering and the factory floor.. and I drive one too with my family in it".... then it would go a long way in our decision. Maybe I'm just asking for too much in this time and age :p

Cheers,
Mark

2011 with 31k. No issues except minor leak from back of roof rail where it attached to body down third row seat belt. Easy fix under warranty.

Now, I bought two months ago and first owner may have had things fixed under warranty, but solid vehicle so far with 31k for me - and tight with no rattles. Happy with 3.6.2 MFT.

I would not buy a vehicle with a fume smell, but that is one vehicle. Test drive some others.

Would you mind sharing the deal (and amount of miles allowed) you are looking at? I would have to order since nobody has options I want.

Congrats BTW!

14 Sport with 401A, roof rails, moonroof, all weather mats, white paint, second row bucket seats, and trailer tow. 15K miles for 36 months.

Traded in my grand Cherokee for what it had left on lease so null there.

Payments come out to be around 560 a month.

Every other dealer wanted 600ish for any other sport with just 401A and tow. Basically got the other features for free with a lower payment.

Could I have done better? Perhaps. But I am one of those types then when I get my mind set on something it is hard for me to wait.

19" standard with 22" as an option?! Holy cow. One of the reasons I am not interested in the Sport is the larger tires (rougher ride, more expensive to replace, hard to find some times in longer tread life options).

And on top of that 285/45R22 won't do much off-road. Would be terrible in sand, and the low sidewall could get rims scrapped on the side hitting rocks in rougher terrain - and bent going over rocks and such. Those are solely road tires/wheels.

If the 19's are for the XLT, that would be of concern to me. The 18" wheels on my XLT are about as big as I want to go for beach driving as I want a lot of sidewall for airing down.

I bet the 22's look good on the pavement, though, but they will wear quicker and also be more costly to replace like you mentioned.

If you take a good look at the navigator's headlights you will see led lights around the hid's, so maybe the explorer will be getting them also ???

anyone know when we will see pics or at least see them on the ford website? perhaps June?

The explorer is not getting 22's...read the order guide everything is staying the same cosmetically. Expedition is getting 22's (possibly) that article had it wrong.

I'd like to see 22's as an upgraded option. I think 2015 and 2016 will be a refresh...or at least they would've refreshed it by 2014 with a redesign in like 2016 or 2017. It'll be interesting to see what the next explorer will look like.

Do you guys think they'll ever offer a hybrid explorer?

I'd like to see 17" or 18" offered as an option on the Limited and Sport. From all accounts, 2016 will be a refresh. The 2015 models just has a few options added and new colours. That's partly the reason I'm now leasing an MKT for 3 years. I doubt a hybrid is in the plans for the near future.

Peter

Nice looks like a lot of new standard features are coming to the 2015 Sports. Can't wait to see a magnetic. Love the heated steering wheel, power fold mirrors and color match door handles.

But it does suck that HID still not available on the 2015.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the ordering information. I am preparing or have ordered a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I drive a Ford Explorer as a company vehicle and really like the vehicle. What I am getting is pretty loaded except for the second row console. Any idea where I can find pricing information for the 2015? Any word on when production will start? I was going to order a 2014 but the deadline had already passed for 2014's but hadn't opened for 2015's. I guess the ordering for 2015's is now open from what I am being told. I was also told that a loaded Sport will sticker around $54,000? I can't help but find that figure inflated. I was expecting a price of $51,000-$52,000.

Back