Daughter Doesn't Know it Yet...... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daughter Doesn't Know it Yet......

They make awesome turbos for the 2.3. 2wd long travel and boost would be a lot of fun...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could just go mild like my old 2.3:D

12287blue_2.jpg

yeah..yeah... I know ignored...yada, yada, yada

...I see Tortion Twist, new wheels and bigger tires to go along with the new stereo...

...all probably within 6 months to a year...:D

She needs to join the forum now!

Update on Sarah's Ranger. It is still stock with oversized tires. I painted the rims black at her request, but that's it. Until Wednesday morning. She calls and says its dead in the water, won't accelerate in any gear. Great......I had it towed to Poway Transmission as I have had great dealings with them before and a lot of free advice from the owner, Eldon, about how to keep my 700R4 cool. Eldon calls me a few hours later says the trans needs a complete rebuild. The OD gear was going out for a while and there are two spring plates that hold it in place if it fails. If you keep driving it, the spring plates fail. When they blew, it took the internals with them. He says they have seen these transmissions fail at around 100,000 miles with nothing anyone can do to keep that from happening. Truck is a 2010 with 103,000 miles. Hard to believe that little engine could wear out a transmission, but......Ford. Fluid was changed by the dealership before I took possession at 52,000 miles. I was planning on changing the trans fluid in a few weeks, but Eldon said it would have made no difference except that I would have noticed a bunch of metal in the pan and brought it in before it blew.

Good time to swap a 6 speed manual in.

Its repaired and back on the road. He had a rebuild kit in for another customer and fixed mine first. I have no interest in modifying my daughter's daily driver.

Its repaired and back on the road. He had a rebuild kit in for another customer and fixed mine first. I have no interest in modifying my daughter's daily driver.
I think it was nice of the shop to bump you up and take care of you first. how bad was the repair bill? I've got 14 years till I have to worry about my daughter's daily driver.

This is called, when you first notice the possibility of problems...ie losing the O/D you head for the trade in lot.

This is called, when you first notice the possibility of problems...ie losing the O/D you head for the trade in lot.

Yeah, but she loves the truck and we don't owe much on it. I did the math, it was cheaper to fix it.

Haven't updated this thread in a long time, because the Ranger has been doing what they do, running fine. I was changing the oil the other day and noticed it has been leaking oil. Its hard to track down because the engine compartment is so cramped with stuff. I always thought it looked like a backyard engine swap instead of OEM in there, like they knew it was going to be discontinued so they didn't care anymore.

Anyways, I thought it was the main seal, but there is also some oil on the front of the engine. Maybe its the lower intake or valve covers. Anyone know the common locations for the 2.3 to leak?

Figured out a few months ago the valve cover was leaking on all four sides. I finally got around to ordering the gasket sets for the valve cover and the intake. This morning I decided to tackle it since Sarah is out of town. I wish I could kick the person who designed that engine in the nuts. Valve cover and intake are plastic. The intake has about 100 things attached to it. Any wiring harness that goes near it is attached to it with about 10 push plugs per harness. They all tear off, of course, when trying to remove them. The vacuum manifold is at the very back of the intake, about 2" from the fire wall. Some a&*hole on the assembly line put all of the hose clamps upside down so they were nearly impossible to get disconnected. I ended up cutting the lower clamp in half with my Dremel to get it free. You can't see 3 out of the 5 intake bolts. The fuel line needs to be disconnected, and the mounts that hold the line in place. Took me 4 hours to get to the valve cover, 5 minutes to replace the gaskets and another 10 to install it back in place with all 14 bolts torqued. Quit for the day. Hope I remember where all that crap goes back on when I finished it up tomorrow. I can almost guarantee I am going to end up with extra bolts when its finished.

are you adopting? I would like 2010 Ranger very much
Hang in there a 4 banger valve cover gasket does not get to win!!

Amazing that they made working on a tiny 4 banger so difficult.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it back together in a few hours yesterday morning. Doesn't seem to be leaking yet. No extra bolts either!! What a pain that was. There was plenty of room for them to push that engine forward 1". It would have made working on it much easier. I used 6 zip-ties to secure all the wiring, hoses, etc. where there was originally about 25 of those stupid push clips.

Also replaced passenger side outside door handle. Broke last week, got a replacement on eBay for $8.75 shipped. That took about an hour including cleaning up the window channels and sliders. Same door handles on my 1994 Explorer.

Back